• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones like the audeze lcd2 but more lighter??

Azeendeen

So i just went to my local store and tried the audeze lcd2 and I really liked it. However the huge turn off for me was that it was really heavy. I usually use my headphones ALOT and after using the LCD2 for a few like 10-15 minutes my neck was starting to sore. Unless I start taking roids and doing neck exercises, until I get my neck gains I won't see myself getting this. So are there any headphones that sound like the LCD2 but lighter or atleast with either a V shaped, warm sound signature with medium soundstage and imaging for when I want to have fun gaming (not competitive gaming so soundstage would not be my top priority)? It can be either open or closed headphones which I plan to use with the massdrop THX linear AMP along with the SMSL SU-8 DAC. Also I listen to mainly modern music with the likes of hip-hop,a few edm, rock,metal,jazz,funk. My budget is 1500$

solderdude

Grand Contributor
US$ or Aus$ ? ;)

Planar ? (Like Audeze)
needs to go loud ? (Like Audeze can)
Should it be equally 'dark' sounding (i.e. linear bass+ mids but a bit recessed in the upper mids/treble) ?
Is it a problem if bass is not as visceral ?
Is a bit more clarity and treble a problem ?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audeze LCDs are a bit heavy and bulky. Very good (and you get a lovely carry case) but I can see how some people wouldn't feel comfortable using them.

Graph Feppar

The new MR Speakers Ether 2... its expensive but its exactly what you described.
Personally I would just get HD800 and use heavy EQ to give them LCD2 frequency response.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming your like the Audeze's bass you'll need to go with another planar to get anything close.

Dynamics won't cut it. There aren't any as clean and loud. Some biocellulose drivers Fostex clones/ZMF get close but they'll all a lot brighter in the treble.

There are plenty of HiFiMans that are up to snuff in the bass but they all have sharper treble as well.

MrSpeakers models are much lighter and more comfortable but are more mid-centered and don't have the impact of the Audeze or HiFiMans.

What specifically did you like about the Audezes? The bass quality, bass impact, darker tonality?

OP
A

Azeendeen

US$ or Aus$ ? ;)

Planar ? (Like Audeze)
needs to go loud ? (Like Audeze can)
Should it be equally 'dark' sounding (i.e. linear bass+ mids but a bit recessed in the upper mids/treble) ?
Is it a problem if bass is not as visceral ?
Is a bit more clarity and treble a problem ?
It can be planar or not and budget is in US.I doubt there is headphone that sounds exactly like the lcd2 so I would say something that sounds similar go it .It would be a problem if the bass was not visceral but I would not mind the treble being recessed

OP
A

Azeendeen

Assuming your like the Audeze's bass you'll need to go with another planar to get anything close.

Dynamics won't cut it. There aren't any as clean and loud. Some biocellulose drivers Fostex clones/ZMF get close but they'll all a lot brighter in the treble.

There are plenty of HiFiMans that are up to snuff in the bass but they all have sharper treble as well.

MrSpeakers models are much lighter and more comfortable but are more mid-centered and don't have the impact of the Audeze or HiFiMans.

What specifically did you like about the Audezes? The bass quality, bass impact, darker tonality?
It's hard to say what I liked about the audeze. I guess it's everything . I only tried them for 15 minutes .It is the 3rd headphone I tried with the previous being only the akg 7xx and fidelio x2 which costs peanuts compared to the lcd2 and sounded not worse but 'less better'. The first thing I noticed was it's clarity , never I had heard something so clear and somehow the bass was there and strong which I loved. It had very tight ,fast treble . Though this was my impression of my first headphone that cost over 300$ and I only tried them for 15 minutes in a noisy store. I am already searching for other planar and I think I would be trying out either the Mr speaker and Hifiman. Though I would probably end up with the Hifiman edition x v2, as compared to the Mr speaker models I like to have more bass and I know it's discontinued but my local store still sells it . At first I was going for the Ananda but then after some review I chose the X v2 just because apparently some people say it's slightly more comfortable ,bass is more present in it and it sounds more full and bodied. Plus they say it has a wide soundstage and good imaging which is bonus so I can play with it lol . Sorry for late reply went to sleep

Headphonaholic

The Fostex T60RP are very nice set of planars that don't weigh anything that the Audeze do, or cost as much. They'll get you a lot of what I think you are looking for.

Though I would probably end up with the Hifiman edition x v2, as compared to the Mr speaker models I like to have more bass and I know it's discontinued but my local store still sells it . At first I was going for the Ananda but then after some review I chose the X v2 just because apparently some people say it's slightly more comfortable ,bass is more present in it and it sounds more full and bodied. Plus they say it has a wide soundstage and good imaging which is bonus so I can play with it lol
I own the Edition X v2 and they are a fantastic pair of headphones, more laid back than the Audeze, but still very high quality and pleasant to listen to. I would however recommend that you wait if you can for the MassdropxHifiman Edition XX which is a potentially slightly improved version but for half the price if my memory serves me well. Anyone interested in a damn good sounding planar, for $600 the Edition XX is a steal.

OP
A

Azeendeen

The Fostex T60RP are very nice set of planars that don't weigh anything that the Audeze do, or cost as much. They'll get you a lot of what I think you are looking for.

I own the Edition X v2 and they are a fantastic pair of headphones, more laid back than the Audeze, but still very high quality and pleasant to listen to. I would however recommend that you wait if you can for the MassdropxHifiman Edition XX which is a potentially slightly improved version but for half the price if my memory serves me well. Anyone interested in a damn good sounding planar, for $600 the Edition XX is a steal.
will check out the T60RP but I think I would be buying the X V2 still just because I really can't wait. Also the X V2 seems like what I am looking for the music I listen to and the occasional gaming/music. Maybe I will buy the T60rp if I really like it , would not hurt to add more to my collection :D

noobie1

I’ve had the LCD-X briefly. They were amazing but way too heavy for any kind of prolonged use. Reluctantly I returned them. Shortly thereafter, I tried the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open. The Aeons didn’t make me forget about the LCD-X so I went ahead and just got the Isine 10 with cipher cables. These sound great for the price and has the distinctive Audeze sound.

I should add that I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 700 which I eq extensively. I think they sound great but hard to make dynamic headphones sound like planars.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If you are looking for lightweight planar with a slightly recessed upper part consider AEON flow OPEN
When you are looking for lightweight planar which does not have recessed treble and has good bass AEON flow CLOSED
The 'sucky' feeling when removing the LCD2 is also present in the AEON closed (both have good seal)
Alternatively the Oppo PM3 is another good idea.

Personally I think the above cannot touch the HD800 (but you MUST EQ these and respond well to it) which falls in your budget.

The Hifiman headphones have much more treble than the Audeze series.
Below: Audeze LCD2 Classic, Audeze LCD2 Fazor, Hifiman Edition X v2

lcd2 vs x2.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To each his own I guess. I had the Audeze LCD .. Bass is fantastic and it is overall a very good headphones. I prefer the Hifiamn HE-6 and HE-560 to it ..unequalized ... The HifiMan HE-560 at its present price, is a bargain. Have an audition and take it from there. it is lighter than the Audeze LCD-2 ...

OP
A

Azeendeen

@solderdude Can I just ask how do the bass sound with the AEON may it be closed or open. Heck how does ether flow and the ether C flow sound? I am seeing from reviews that the ethers are more neutral?? I feel like the mr speakers are more analytical. I want fun headphone which is why I am now thinking between the hifiman edition X v2 and ananda. Cause the hifiman has the "fun" sound im looking for but also it has a soundstage and good imaging which is a bonus for when I game haha

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are new to good headphone I recommend trying the Oppo PM-2 if you can. These are obsolete since the parent company pulled the plug on Oppo Digital but they are still available in some dealers and there are some good offers. They are not the lightest headphones but they are not especially heavy either. The cups swivel for reasonably compact storage in a denim carry case. Build quality is outstanding. The more expensive PM-1 established a benchmark for build quality and although the PM-2 loses some of the very premium materials and the fany box Oppo were very clever in trimming cost while retaining a wonderful high quality feel and the PM-2 still feels far better made than most headphones.
They are planar magnetics but very efficient and easy to drive. They come with two cables, a lightweight 3.5mm jack one and a much heavier 1/4" jack cable. Sound is superb, they are rather warm and balanced, although not bass heavy they are certainly not lacking in bass. Treble is slightly bright I think but again it is just to the bright of neutral rather than being a bright headphone. They are open backed and feel very natural. They do not have a studio monitor analytical sound signature but a more consumer segment signature but it is a lovely sound. They aren't cheap but they are genuinely well made and sound terrific. Try them while they're still available.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My mr Speakers reviews

hifiman edition X v2 and ananda

Measured on the same rig and described how I hear them.

I don't care for the AEON open sound but quite like the AEON closed sound.
For a lot of folks it is the other way around. Personal preference/taste.

For that reason I usually do not say which is 'best' but can only say which ones I like best.
My taste may differ from those of others.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's hard to say what I liked about the audeze. I guess it's everything . I only tried them for 15 minutes .It is the 3rd headphone I tried with the previous being only the akg 7xx and fidelio x2 which costs peanuts compared to the lcd2 and sounded not worse but 'less better'. The first thing I noticed was it's clarity , never I had heard something so clear and somehow the bass was there and strong which I loved. It had very tight ,fast treble . Though this was my impression of my first headphone that cost over 300$ and I only tried them for 15 minutes in a noisy store. I am already searching for other planar and I think I would be trying out either the Mr speaker and Hifiman. Though I would probably end up with the Hifiman edition x v2, as compared to the Mr speaker models I like to have more bass and I know it's discontinued but my local store still sells it . At first I was going for the Ananda but then after some review I chose the X v2 just because apparently some people say it's slightly more comfortable ,bass is more present in it and it sounds more full and bodied. Plus they say it has a wide soundstage and good imaging which is bonus so I can play with it lol . Sorry for late reply went to sleep

A HiFiMan might be the next best thing for you then but they go though models so fast I'm not sure which one to recommend.

OP
A

Azeendeen

My mr Speakers reviews

hifiman edition X v2 and ananda

Measured on the same rig and described how I hear them.

I don't care for the AEON open sound but quite like the AEON closed sound.
For a lot of folks it is the other way around. Personal preference/taste.

For that reason I usually do not say which is 'best' but can only say which ones I like best.
My taste may differ from those of others.
really helpful m8. Some of the stuff you said about the hifiman x v2 and the ananda I have seen some other people say before but thanks for going in more depth by including all their other headphones for comparison. I think the X v2 is more for me as the ananda seems to have more treble and I prefer a laid back sound like the X v2. But for mr Speakers im kinda caught off guard. But could you tell me if you were to rank the Hifiman X v2, Hifiman ananda, mr speaker ether C flow in terms of how good their imaging and wide their sound stage is, how would it be?

OP
A

Azeendeen

If you are new to good headphone I recommend trying the Oppo PM-2 if you can. These are obsolete since the parent company pulled the plug on Oppo Digital but they are still available in some dealers and there are some good offers. They are not the lightest headphones but they are not especially heavy either. The cups swivel for reasonably compact storage in a denim carry case. Build quality is outstanding. The more expensive PM-1 established a benchmark for build quality and although the PM-2 loses some of the very premium materials and the fany box Oppo were very clever in trimming cost while retaining a wonderful high quality feel and the PM-2 still feels far better made than most headphones.
They are planar magnetics but very efficient and easy to drive. They come with two cables, a lightweight 3.5mm jack one and a much heavier 1/4" jack cable. Sound is superb, they are rather warm and balanced, although not bass heavy they are certainly not lacking in bass. Treble is slightly bright I think but again it is just to the bright of neutral rather than being a bright headphone. They are open backed and feel very natural. They do not have a studio monitor analytical sound signature but a more consumer segment signature but it is a lovely sound. They aren't cheap but they are genuinely well made and sound terrific. Try them while they're still available.
I am actually looking forward to to the PM1. My local store has them . The headphones I wanna try are the PM1, Focal clear, Mr speaker ether C flow, Hifiman X v2

Top Bottom