• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Molonne

Hi,

im new here, been reading a few weeks, getting ideas for my setup to play guitar and since I’ll do it on headphones,it seemed the place to ask,
sorry to make my first thread a question,also apologies if this has been discussed,I had a search and couldn’t,like I’ll explain in a moment,
im willing to upgrade buy any piece of hardware software to achieve my result
P.-Molone-

im not very good at new advances lol
but due to some bumps on the road I’m stuck in a tiny room,
I like plying loud, I was using an old mustang with my open headphones DT880 250 ohm.. but my Son has taken for his rehearsals,and since I can only use headphones,I’ve been plugging Scarlett solo 3 gen to iPad guitar to interface,volume for heaphone sucks,mustang was much higher,

so what I want to achieve is the maximum headphone quality possible I could get a laptop(MacBook) but would rather iPad,
I want to have a pedal rig.,if possible no amps,or speaker cabs,pedals...Le crunch pedal preamp(not sure if should be place before pedals?,and last in line cabm into interface and headphones out,
I really like two notes, wall of ound
atm I’m using AmpliTube thu and bias fx2 bias amp2....

I need help,and I’m happy toe
get a new interface or computer but I need to achieve headphone max usability

two notes wrote to me,and confirmed Le crunch plus cabm can go direct, can I out more pedals?where?

also would it be helping headphone sound to place a headphone amp (dac?.) between cabm and headphones?
what kind of interface would I go for?

yes I know nothing beats the real amp,valves tubes etc,
however I need this silent setup and to record and play with backing files,hence interface,but high one?
any suggestions how soes that set look?
overdrive distorsión fuzz-LE PPREAMP-CABM-headphone amp(Shiite FiiO or even any amp dac or whatever i need if it can work
im open even though I love the sounds of two notes I can test any,

highest headphone guitar recording and monioring preferably with iPad
cabm
le crunch pre amp
also looked at
the Carl marring rock bug
strymon
Origin effects revival drive

im not sure how to connect all,
id like to come out of cab m as the state in the manual, the effects are applied to both headphone amp and to the line out,

so if anyone would know any tips,if it’s possible,if some gear would be better,
Im an amateur guitarist,but been at home,I’ve been doing more and recording however I need headphones silent practice.

thanks for your help

flaviowolff

Any cheap interface with decent preamp (focusrite solo, 2i2, m-audio mtrack 2x2, and many others) and efficient neutral-ish headphones (so you don't need a headphone amp) would be sufficient for guitar practice and monitoring with no delay and great quality. Of course you can spend lots more, but anything above that is kind of overkill, and would be better spent on a new guitar, pick-ups etc.

Examples of good headphones for the task: AKG K371/361, Beyer DT770 (32 or 80 ohms), ATH-M40X/M50X, Sony MDR-7506. The most neutral of all these are the AKGs, because they follow closely the harman curve, which was designed to sound like flat speakers in a good room (like studio monitors in a good studio).

Sennheiser's HD600/Beyer DT880 are also very nice for the task, but they are open-back (leak sound) and would require an amp.

I practice guitar myself. My headphone guitar setup consists of a M-Audio M-Track 2x2 interface + AKG K371s, connected directly to it's output. Using guitar rig 5 and amplitube 4 with mtrack's native asio driver.

OP
M

Molonne

Hi F-Wolf
thanks so much
well I do most On headphones but I need to be able to be usable hence looking at cab M with a few pedals and one of the two notes pedal power preamp with valve on them,
I use Beyerdynamic dt880 open because to me,when I’m doing a cover or jam along I can crank it up and the sound is more real to me,prob the air mix, but I ain’t expert some folks would swear and die for the exact opposite of what I said lol

I had a few amps,but my son is in a band ,so, you know how it goes...
so atm I’m
focusrite guitar iPad with either AmpliTube (almost everything ) bias fx 2 and bias amp 2 las update improved it a bit,and overload thu

my idea is an amp less pedalboard based on the two notes cabm With a pre amp Prob Le crunch or Le lead,I’m getting both,
I still have 3 pedals I wouldn’t relinquish to the younger generation’s
bd boss blues
ds1 boss( maybe as old as my son)
and couple more,
so with this I can go direct to pa, or a Frf Or ffr or whatever those loud speakers and it also allows me to in my little unit... record and jam without annoying neighbours
other option is a good head amp An attenuator and headphones from it

thanks for your reply
it sounds like for now we’re using pretty muvch the same setup

how do you find thu overloud, some setups are gold others not so si,Olaf with AmpliTube and bias,sometimes the noise you get is unbearable

P-Molonne

Vasr

Major Contributor
I am not sure if I am answering the actual question as it is hard to read with possibly things lost in the translation.

But what I do might be relevant based on the keywords I picked up from the post.

I use a Digitech multi-effects and modeling processor RP-500. Unfortunately, when Harman bought Digitech, they fired all the excellent DSP engineers and killed all the better products they had but you should be able to find some used. RP-500 or RP-1000 are both excellent units and model amps, cabinets, well known effects sounds very well and there are a large number of patch presets for various guitar tones on the Internet. There are also some rack mount units but more expensive. I like the foot pedals so I can use it on stage.

But even if you don’t need the modeling and effects, it has a line-in to plug in the guitar, a line-in for audio in (I attach it to my iPad to play backing tracks while playing), a headphone out (which mixes the audio-in and guitar in) and two-way USB. The audio-in does not get mixed in the line out or USB out so the recordings can be done with just the guitar track. This is more than enough for silent practice especially if you get one of the studio monitor headphones for accuracy. The sound quality is excellent, no latency issues and the unit is built like a tank. Have used it for live performances with no problems. It has 1/4” or XLR stereo outs to go to a mixer or amp for stage use.

For home recording, I use the USB. You can connect it to a computer for recording but there is a significant latency directly hooking it to the computer with the USB, so you cannot use the monitor from the recording while playing. But I verify the recording with a small clip first and just listen on the headphones while playing and recording with Audacity. The track can always be easily synced with other tracks later.

You need an audio interface only if you want to avoid that latency and need a real time monitoring of a mix with other instruments playing at the same time, otherwise other instruments recorded can be played back from the iPad via audio-in and those get mixed with headphone out with no latency.

The unit can make the headphones go to concert level volumes so that isn’t an issue.

OP
M

Molonne

Thanks Vasr, the reason I’m looking at two notes vs pedalboard clones,is mostly this also allows me to to any Di front of house amp head etc, also the pre Amos pedals from two notes beside been very adjustable they have real valve on them I think 6v6 or the likes.
without going into my life story too deep, it’s not like I will just listen with headphones,it’s more for sometime I will be stuck with them... but I still want a warm tube sound when I gig lone or through GarageBand

I think the headphones will just get an amp if needed once I decide
helix 6
headrush
two notes
all three are pedal based one is valve based,the other two digital

i will put up a review of either way...
I appreciate your responses..
my main concern was having 250ohms headphones even tanto huge impedance I wanted high volume with quality,even if I need to be quiet,i do want good sound,
budget is not a massive issue but as everything or most,it’s not a blank cheque.
P-MOLONNE-

Vasr

Major Contributor
Again, not sure I understand the above post. But here is my home set up with the various combinations possible.
guitar_setup.jpg

The combinations I can do:
Guitar directly into mini-Marshall Stack - ok for garage practice not for stage. Ok with headphones connected to the stack but limited to a single tone from the Marshall Modeling. Good for just noodling around at low volume without a headphone encumbrance.

The RP-500 is two independent stages - an effects chain - an amp/speaker modeler. Each of this can be turned off or on independently.

Guitar to RP-500 to headphones/Marshall Stack/Stage Amp. Allows silent practice. Allows a backing track to be added to play on the headphones. It can be output to the Marshall Stack for garage practice. Can be output to the stage amp/mixer for live performance. Can be connected to an iPad/Mac/PC for recording.

Typically, I choose an effects set up and an amp/speaker modeler to get the tone I need for the song. Whether it is a custom fat tube-screamer type blues tone, or the various Dave Gilmour solo tones for PF cover songs or a Metallica crunch. Can't have a physical amp with the right tone for each of them! I can practice with this via headphones to backing track or play it through the Marshall stack (on clean output) for garage practice or feed the RP-500 to stage amp/mixer for performance or connect it to a PC via USB for recording or connect the Audio out to an interface for low latency mixing. Get the exact tone I need. If the stage has a real guitar amp/cabinet I can use and emulating before, I can switch off the amp/cabinet emulator and just use the effects chain.

I have tried the iPad or PC/Mac based emulators of sound. Just doesn't sound good enough for my use cases. But if one wants to do that, you can use the RP-500 in clean mode just as a way to provide the right connectivity between the Guitar and iPad/PC/mac.

Of course, some purists think using a modeler like the RP-500 is a travesty. But works for me! It does depend on what tone you are looking for and the type of music being played, of course.

OP
M

Molonne

Thanks,
the RP looks good
if you tell me what is it you are not understanding I could try explaining better ,all this is fairly new to me, and perhaps I’m even not expressing myself the right way.
thanks Vasr.
nice home setup

Top Bottom