• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones for TV (for mom's Jeopardy)

catalogguy

Forum Donor
This is for my mother. In her nineties, her hearing is not nearly what it was. Without realizing it, she can make the TV loud enough for the neighbors to hear just to watch Jeopardy. So she has wireless headphones and that seems to be her preferred way to go. She is on her second set of Sennheiser headphone (RS-195); these have a dedicated base with transmitter. The signal is very reliable, never giving her problems related to connection or pairing (they are not bluetooth).

But she complains about the weight and the fit (and might like them to be a bit louder). She is open to my suggestion about having a small box (headphone amp) into which she could plug lighter headphones (lighter as they would not contain the batteries and other electronics). After she gets her second shot and the waiting period passes, I am thinking to replace her current headphones with a bluetooth transmitter at the TV and a wireless DAC/AMP with headphones.

So I have made these purchases...
Avantree Oasis Bluetooth Transmitter https://avantree.com/oasis-bluetooth-transmitter-receiver

xDuoo XP-2 Pro Bluetooth DAC/Amp (thanks to Apos for price match with Drop)
https://apos.audio/collections/brand-spotlight-xduoo/products/xduoo-xp-2-pro-bluetooth-dac-amp

Headphones - Sony MDR-ZX110
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/9-headphone-review-sony-mdr-

For $10, the headphones were an experiment. And, I think, they sound awful with TV. In the review, Amir explained that the headphones worked well with correction, but I think a different headphone would be better in this case. They are not uncomfortable; in fact, I rather liked wearing them once I had them on (i first put them on backward and the angled cups were not pleasant, but that was my fault).

The main thing is the headphones need to be light. But they also need to sound good. And then they need to be comfortable. I think those are the 3 attributes and their prioritization. Light - Good Sound for Jeopardy - Comfortable.

Deep bass etc is not going to win any points, but clear vocals will. And perhaps they should be warm-sounding? $10 is an easy price, especially as I have already shelled out a couple of hundred dollars on the other bits. But probably a more expensive headphone is justified to make it work. So you can see hopefully where I am on the budget; it is not fixed, but value would be appreciated. Mainly it needs to be light, good sounding, and comfortable.

So I am at a loss. I myself have 2 sets of headphones. HD-6xx, but I think closed-back may be better for my mom to blast Jeopardy. Focal Elegia feels plush and comfortable but way too heavy. And that is really the extent of my experience. I am hoping that on ASR someone will have either direct experience with such an application or an understanding of what will generate clear vocals (Jeopardy) and how to identify a headphone that does that. I really appreciate any help or advice.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I use the SHP9500 for TV watching in exactly the way you want. Bt is transmitted from TV Firestick. Bt receiver is one with volume control:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5K48Q8/

Headphones are usually under $80. Light. Well built. Very comfortable. Light head pressure:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENMK1DW/

Yes, the SHP9500 is Open Back. But it's completely over the ear (vs. the ZX110) and the drivers are much larger diameter.

PS - tried my closed back K371 car-passenger hp but went back to SHP9500. Much more comfortable..

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Maybe some of the smaller Sennheiser RS series would be a better match. The RS195s weigh 11.99 ounces, whereas the RS135s weigh 8.10 ounces. That 1/4 lb. might be enough to make a difference.

I would stick with a RF solution for TV watching. There's nothing worse than having to troubleshoot lipsync issues with Bluetooth.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Budget?

My Senn RS 185 are really good for TV. Discontinued, but you could try 195 or 175.
20210220_114649.jpg

FM1

Keeping with the light and cheap and sound pretty good theme, two main headphones come to mind.
JVC Flats. SA160 and other similar model numbers. Around $10. Sounds fine, looks good. These are thin and light and practically disappear on your head.

Monoprice Hi-Fi Lightweight On-Ear Headphones. These are currently listed for $16. Higher than expected. I think they used to be $8.
Darker sounding than the neutral JVC Flats. Without doing an A-B test right now, I'm thinking they sound better. Not as light or small headband as the Flats. Look cheaper than the Flats. You'll find plenty of praise for these online.

Maybe the Koss PortaPro would be good.

There's also things like the JVC ha-s400 and s500 that have big praise threads on other forums. But then the prices increased and now they are harder to find. These are a step up in sound quality, and size/weight, though still portable on-ears. Maybe JVC makes something newer yet similar now at a decent price.

Remember you can make any headphone bluetooth with a bluetooth adapter. The adapter would be at the end of the cable, so the cable would be somewhat in the way, but the weight of the adapter would be at the end on her lap or armrest instead of weighing on her head. If she wants to walk around with non-bt headphones but without being plugged in, this is an option.

The SHP9500 headphones earpads are made for giants. And I assume she wouldn't turn up the volume as loud as she does on the tv, but they are completely open-back and leak huge. And they weigh as much as her current headphones.

The Superlux 681/668 and Samson SR850 sound good and are light for a full-size.

Your post talks about Jeopardy, but if she watches more dramatic shows with car chases and other action, she'd probably enjoy a full-size headphone instead of the smaller ones. But, then again, weight. Maybe she'll wind up with a pair of light "talk" headphones and a bigger, heavier pair of "action" headphones.

I have dozens of headphones I started rotating through again recently. I'm yet again surprised at how light and comfortable the DT990/DT880 is. They're lighter than they look, and the velour pads are like having the sides of your head gently hugged by a bear.

hex168

Keeping with the light and cheap and sound pretty good theme, two main headphones come to mind.
JVC Flats. SA160 and other similar model numbers. Around $10. Sounds fine, looks good. These are thin and light and practically disappear on your head.

Monoprice Hi-Fi Lightweight On-Ear Headphones. These are currently listed for $16. Higher than expected. I think they used to be $8.
Darker sounding than the neutral JVC Flats. Without doing an A-B test right now, I'm thinking they sound better. Not as light or small headband as the Flats. Look cheaper than the Flats. You'll find plenty of praise for these online.

Maybe the Koss PortaPro would be good.

There's also things like the JVC ha-s400 and s500 that have big praise threads on other forums. But then the prices increased and now they are harder to find. These are a step up in sound quality, and size/weight, though still portable on-ears. Maybe JVC makes something newer yet similar now at a decent price.

Remember you can make any headphone bluetooth with a bluetooth adapter. The adapter would be at the end of the cable, so the cable would be somewhat in the way, but the weight of the adapter would be at the end on her lap or armrest instead of weighing on her head. If she wants to walk around with non-bt headphones but without being plugged in, this is an option.

The SHP9500 headphones earpads are made for giants. And I assume she wouldn't turn up the volume as loud as she does on the tv, but they are completely open-back and leak huge. And they weigh as much as her current headphones.

The Superlux 681/668 and Samson SR850 sound good and are light for a full-size.

Your post talks about Jeopardy, but if she watches more dramatic shows with car chases and other action, she'd probably enjoy a full-size headphone instead of the smaller ones. But, then again, weight. Maybe she'll wind up with a pair of light "talk" headphones and a bigger, heavier pair of "action" headphones.

I have dozens of headphones I started rotating through again recently. I'm yet again surprised at how light and comfortable the DT990/DT880 is. They're lighter than they look, and the velour pads are like having the sides of your head gently hugged by a bear.
I like the JVC HA-s500. They are low distortion, light and well-made. However, they are dark-sounding without EQ, and the excellent bass is in part due to the strong clamping pressure. They get uncomfortable when worn for long periods. There's a fix involving full-size pads and o-rings, but have not tried it because I suspect it would throw off the EQ curve I derived from old Innerfidelity measurements. (That project is on the to-do list, for someday.)

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Comfort is king. Takstar Pro 82 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Even more comfortable than Bose headphones. Light, low clamp, great fit. Efficient and great sound to boot. Neutral, not bass heavy. Has adjustable bass ports.

Top Bottom