• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones for Industrial and Nu Metal

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys, I have been chomping at the bit for a new set of cans lately. I have 2 great sets (HD650 and Sundara) which I love, but I find myself listening to mostly non-rock and metal on them, despite the fact metal is one of my favorite genres.

I am sensitive to treble on the Sundara and have EQ them down to Harmon target, I have tried Beyer in the past and hated the treble. I have been considering Ananda or LCD2, but was wondering if there is a better option for heavier music, one that does not involve treble murder. I guess I am looking for good punch and slam with a bassier sound signiture.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Moderate Dionysianism

If you're considering closed-back too, I would suggest trying the Creative Aurvana Live. Besides them, I've owned ATH-MSR7b, HPH-MT8, and SoundMagic HP151 - none of these deliver the 'thump' as strong as CAL. It can get a bit fatiguing, but IMHO works really well with the styles you mentioned. The ATH-MSR7b with Dekoni pads would be a close second as it can go super low, but it does have the piercing treble response you want to avoid. The Yamahas are the most 'neutral' sounding to me.

Vict0r

Grado are considered by many to be great for rock/metal. I own the SR60 and SR225i, but I actually prefer my HD600 for metal. :) I listen mostly to black metal and Swedish death metal, so those productions aren't the best and can get really sibilant. I sold my DT880 for this reason, because it absolutely murdered my ears. :p

The Hifiman HE-500 could be interesting for you.

HE500-1200x1200-cropped.jpg

paolomo

Forum Donor
If you are looking for a moderately affordable option, the ATH M50x get the “metal” job done, are EQ friendly, and come with three different cables. I find them uncomfortable, but that’s just me, most people don’t have that problem. They also got a pretty good review here at ASR. They are super easy to drive too.

Vict0r

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I would definitely recommend solid open cans like ATH-M50X, which are very enjoyable and musical for this kind of sound...unless you have deeper pockets to get into tight bass slam territory of closed cans like the Fostex TH-900

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sensitive to treble on the Sundara and have EQ them down to Harmon target, I have tried Beyer in the past and hated the treble. I have been considering Ananda or LCD2, but was wondering if there is a better option for heavier music, one that does not involve treble murder. I guess I am looking for good punch and slam with a bassier sound signiture.
You have to go for closed cans, IMHO

Meze 99 Classics, Sure SRH1540 or Ultrasound Signature DXP.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Definitely looking at the Meze 99 Classics! what about Philips SHP9500 ? for the money they seem solid.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would definitely recommend solid open cans like ATH-M50X, which are very enjoyable and musical for this kind of sound...unless you have deeper pockets to get into tight bass slam territory of closed cans like the Fostex TH-900
The ATH-M50X are also closed cans, maybe you confused them with another model?

ManuCV

Hey Rayman,
Another metal/industrial aficionado here. As per your description, the Avantone Planar can be what you're looking for. I just got them some days ago and they while they are quite neutral, their bass is amazing and they're on the darker side of the treble. I don't have the DT1990 but I have listened to many Beyerdynamic and I know what their treble is. The Avantone's treble is not harsh at all, as commented even "dark" without being muddy or dull.
In fact I played some Ministry right out of the box and it was very enjoyable. Thieves sounded like a punch to the head and brought a big smile.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for the advice, I almost purchased a pair of Meze99 Classics, but even know it was not what I was initially looking for, I chomped on a pair of Hifiman Ananda for $550 shipped in excellent condition (If these replace my Sundara, then il just sell off the Sundara then il be back looking for metal cans)

markanini

Major Contributor
AKG K612 or Beyer DT880 are both warm open backs. Don't bother with AKG K702. I found ATH-M50X harsh in the treble personally.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Meze 99 Classic ordered for metal.

Question: Would Aeon RT Closed be better?

Muca

Just a hint. Of all the headphones I like Nu Metal / Metal with the stock tuning of Sennheiser 660s the most. It has a treble roll off. Look at graphs from rtings for example and EQ your sundaras similar. I did it with Clear for example.
For basically everything else I prefer harman target

Top Bottom