• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones for Classical Music

SwainVoorman

I'm very interested in learning more about your favorite headphones for classical music. Which ones really excel at this genre and instrumentation? Which ones are tuned specifically for this approach to timbre, acoustics, soundstage, etc (ie, neutral, detailed mixes that don't necessarily need deep sub-bass frequencies to 'slam')? Do you have favorite models for various types of classical instrumentation? (solo piano, string quartet, full orchestra, opera, etc)?

brimble

Forum Donor
Electrostatics particularly excel at instrument separation. I wouldn't use anything else for classical music.

For subgenres in which you need good placement of all the sounds (which for me means orchestral and choral and organ music), Stax Sigmas / Sigma Pros are particularly good, although they're hard to find).

Robin L

Master Contributor
The two best headphones I've got right now [for everything, BTW] are the AKG K371 and the Drop 6XX. Sub-bass insinuates bass that's lower than 20hz, but for most people it really means the bottom audible octave, 20hz to 40hz. The only headphones that I've got that deliver 20hz out of the box without eq are the AKGs, and they do it with very little power as well. The Drop 6XX [Sennheiser HD650 with a different paint job] require equalization, particularly in the bottom two octaves, and also require a fair amount of power to dig up that bass. That bottom octave is necessary for lots of "Classical" music, as far as I can tell a lot of "room tone" is down there. The AKG headphones are slightly less smooth in the top octaves compared to the 6XX 'phones, but at times that sounds more accurate/plausible to these ears than the ultra-smooth top of the Sennheiser 'phones. The treble presentation on the AKG 'phones seems to have more rosin on the bow. I can clearly hear the difference with "Original Instruments"/historically informed recordings like the Musica Antiqua Koln performance of Pachelbel's Canon or the Jordi Savall/Hesperion XX recording of François Couperin's Les Nations. There's a similar effect with massed strings, the Karajan/VPO recording of Beethoven's 7th Symphony displays the difference between the two headphones in the treble registers. There's rarely any 'grit' coming from the 6XX 'phones, sometimes it seems to be missing. However, the Drop 'phones have a more open sound, textures don't occlude, it's easy to follow all lines in polyphony. That deep bass comes in handy with organ recordings, but also lends more solidity to piano and orchestra as well. Both sets of headphones are excellent with vocal music, the AKG 'phones are a little bit more low-slung in that department. The AKG K371 headphones are going for $120 at B + H right now, a bargain and a great choice for phones and DAPs on account of their high sensitivity. However, though closed back, they don't isolate as much as other closed-back 'phones. The Drop 6XX are open backed and as I said before, require eq and additional power to perform at their best. The 6XX are regularly $220 but you'll probably need a headphone amp to get the most out of them. My Topping L30 [just got the replacement to deal with ESD issues] works great with the 6XX, the AKG K371 'phones don't really get much better with additional amplification. I've got 5 other sets of headphones, Sennheisers, AKG and Philips, none of them come close to the quality of the 6XX and K371.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Electrostatics particularly excel at instrument separation. I wouldn't use anything else for classical music.

For subgenres in which you need good placement of all the sounds (which for me means orchestral and choral and organ music), Stax Sigmas / Sigma Pros are particularly good, although they're hard to find).
The Drop 6XX have most of the qualities of good electrostatic headphones. I used the Stax Signature Pros for decades, the 6XX is close in character, instrumental separation/definition is close enough. While the character of the AKG K371s is different, they possess a solidity in the bottom octaves that both the Stax and Sennheiser open back 'phones lack.

rtos

I listen to Etymotic ER4 for everything. I want to hear the recorded sound as close to as it is as possible without the headphone amplifying certain frequencies for me.

I agree with this sentiment. The Etymotics are amazing as is (for all types of music). However I do EQ my ER4s (as I do all headphones I've owned) to a perceived flat frequency response (to my ears) using a sweep sine wave frequency generator and parametric equalizer. With the ER4SR, for example, (and using triple-flange eartips) I find a notch filter of around -5 dB at 2.7 kHz and a bit of added emphasis around 7-8 kHz balances them out quite nicely (again, for my particular ear/IEM listening environment).

The only headphones I've tried that out of the box didn't exhibit any obvious frequency aberrations (using a frequency sweep) to my ears were a Stax-009 and a Sennheiser HD-800 (I don't think it's an "S" model but it is a later model HD-800). The latter was a surprise given its supposed dreaded 6 kHz "spike," which I was fully expecting to have to correct for. However it just didn't show up in tests with my particular pair of HD-800s and my ears.

Colonel Bogey

I listen only to classical on my plethora of headphones. All headphones benefit from EQ and if you plan to use EQ, Sennheiser HD800S is a strong candidate.

Without EQ, its harder. Sennheiser HD600 is great if you can live with weak bass below 100Hz. If bass is important (organ, full orchestra), a few closed models like AKG K371 or Shure SRH1540 are reasonably neutral.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I am proud to recommend Meze from my country, Romania.
These are wow... For normal budgets, as I said. After I got these at 200 euro, now I am ready to sell my M50x.
I recommend these especially for classical, jazz, voices. Not for hard rock or EDM.
Recommended also by Solderdude
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

JIW

Here is a comparison between the frequency response of the Meze 99 Classics and those of the AKG K371 and Sennheiser HD600 normalised to about 425 Hz.
Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD600-Meze 99 Classics-AKG K371.png

I use HD600 myself. While the tonality and resolution are to me very good, the localisation is constrained in width to between the drivers, i.e. just outside the ears, and can be a bit indistinct particularly about halfway between the center and the sides. Also, as mentioned previously, deep bass is recessed, but I don't find it to be much of a detriment even for big orchestral works.

Fregly

Senn600 and 560s, Ety 4sr, and 2se. All top notch and cheapish. You need to eq the treble some on the 560, and this puts it past the 600. I haven't decided if it beats the Etys -- further listening required. Probably not.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Senn 6xx can't go wrong, Senn 58x if you want a little brighter or save a little dough.

Aeon RT if you have $500, it's a steal. It's as good as you'll get under $1k except it's younger brother Aeon 2.

alexrus

Sennheiser HD800S suits best for me: wide soundstage, airy sound. Listen for Stax also if you have money as alternative. For budget Sennheiser HD650 is also great choice for classical music

Pretorious

Sennheiser HD600 for me. Seems to be a general recommendation across the board here. The reason I find it a good set of headphones for classical is that the top-end is so smooth. On sibilant headphones violins especially can be greatly fatiguing and so sound too sharp or piercing. The HD600 keep these accurate, making them, and other string instruments, sound so good on them.

LaL

I love the sound of classical and acoustic music with my DT880-(600ohm) even though they are too sibilant for all other types of music. I even prefer them over my HD600.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would recommend Grado's, they're excellent for Jazz and classical. They're bit anemic on the low end but have excellent soundstage and instrument separation.

jensgk

Forum Donor
Top Bottom