• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones : Experience Beyond Sound

Razor54672

With a lot of headphones these days, QoL features have made them far more than just a casing for drivers.
ANC, Touch Controls, Wireless, Multi-Device Playback, Spatial Audio, Folding Mechanism, Detachable Cable, Swivel and such.

I believe that for headphones to evolve further as devices that create novel experiences, we need more than just better sound quality.
A paradigm shift is required.

• We already have nuanced haptic feedback implementation in smartphones and gamepads, an implementation which might just make headphones more immersive.
[Since the headband covers a good proportion of our head's surface area, I thought that dynamic localization of haptics would be cool.]
  • Now, this one is a wild guess, but I was wondering whether change in temperature near the drivers would affect sound waves in a perceptually meaningful fashion or not.
    Because if so, that could be another explorable arena.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As such, what are your proposed additions?
; additions that'd make headphones more dynamic / responsive and immersive and as a result, provide a better experiential value.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As such, what are your proposed additions?
; additions that'd make headphones more dynamic / responsive and immersive and as a result, provide a better experiential value.

Use all sorts of DSP effects.

someguyontheinternet

For me personally comfort is among the top priorities. If I find the headphone not comfortable enough, I find that it distracts me from the music leading to a lower perceived sound quality.

Another factor is sound isolation. The neighbourhood I live in tends to be a bit noisy so having decent isolation is very important to me. When it's warmer weather season I will also have a fan running which has some noise to it.

Top Bottom