• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones choice for Progressive Instrumental Metal

glpsace

Hello friends,

This is my first post, I'm from Portugal, and let me just say straight forward that I'm a total newbie in this world. So please just be patient!:p:)

Anyway, I recently changed all my ecosystem from Microsoft to Apple (Iphone, Imac) and I'm streaming Apple Music, either on the iPhone or Imac at home. I want to start by concentrating on the system at home.

In the last few years I fell in love with progressive instrumental metal / rock, and listem to this genre exclusively nowadays, bands like Dream Theater, Animals as Leaders, Pliin, Chon and my absolute favorite that I listen 80% of the time, Scale the Summit. No vocals, just instrumental with former albums with a very earthy sound, great balance between the guitars, bass and drums. I could say sort of fast paced but with great instrumental clarity. The last 2 albums have the Lead guitar overpowering the other 2 instruments (they ditched a guitar since 2016), which is different for sure but I still love it anyway.

I tried my best to describe what type of sound I lesson because my love for this genre, led me for the first time in life, to think about stepping up my game (which is very poor both in knowledge and gear at this moment) in sound.

I will be using my Imac as a streaming source at home and I'm planning on getting either a couple of DAC and amplifier units, or a 2 in 1 unit.
For now I would like to concentrate first on the Headphone´s choice for my needs and music preference. Since I plan to stream using the ALAC High-res options that apple offers, Cord headphones are my only requirement. For the rest, all my attention goes mainly to sound quality for what I want. I also don't want to exaggerate on the price since I also have to think about getting other units to complement the system. I would say a maximum of 500 Euros unless there is a very good reason to spend a little more. But less is better!:p

Anyway, from my little knowledge, Fostex TH-X00 came to mind but since I'm in Europe, that seems to be out of the question. I've also looked at the Audeze LCD-X but it is out of my price range.
The inexpensive Sennheiser HD25 seems a good option for progressive metal, as the Hifiman HE400se.
The Sundara seems to be very popular around the forums, especially for the price, but it seems not to be the best choice for my particular tastes in music, maybe too much balanced and lacking a little bass?

But please just enlighten me because there are so many options and choices that it is easy to get lost or make a wrong, uneducated choice!:)

Thank you very much for your time and help and cheers.

markanini

Major Contributor
AKG K371 are very transparent and have excellent low end extension provided you easily get a good seal.

imas69

The Sundara are an excellent headphone for any kind of music or you can try Grado 325

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AKG K371Pro has my vote. Don't get the regular or Bluetooth, they aren't as good. I've had all 3 and the Pro edition sounds much nicer.
The Hifiman HE5xx is another good one, have those as a daily driver. The AKG is a closed back if you need privacy, and a lot more portable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom