• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones around the $200 with 'FUN' sound signature.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hardly ever reply in headphones recommendation threads as I find it too personal to be able to really say anything about it.

For example a lot of people recommend the Sennheiser HD6XX as being good sounding and comfortable.
I agree that they're pretty good sounding but they're not comfortable at all for me. Maybe it's my weird head, ears, combination of both or that I wear glasses but I've tried the Sennheiser 6xx, 7xxx and 8xx series and none of them were comfortable to me. First 30 minutes it's ok and then it slowly starts to get "annoying" and after an hour or so it gets downright uncomfortable. Yet a lot of people are praising Sennheiser for how comfortable they are.

Sound is the same imho, very personal.
I've modded my Fostex T50RP MK3 in such away that it has a bit more bass response but nothing major, just a little bit to make it sound right to me. A friend of my borrowed the Fostex for a couple days and he didn't like them at all. According to him there was not nearly enough bass and they sounded like tin cans.

I would recommend the modded Fostex as I think they're very good sounding in their price bracket. My friend wouldn't even accept one for free as he dislikes it a lot... which opinion/recommendation carries more weight?

Above is just to show how personal sound is, what is great and enjoyable for one is perceived as terrible to another.
From what I read I get the impression that people recommend headphones based on what they find comfortable and good sounding. But that doesn't mean that another has the same opinion. So how much value does that recommendation really have then..?

Sound is such a personal thing like taste, 1001 people will have 1001 different tastes and will like/dislike 1001 different things.
Recommending headphones is like recommending food/drink. Some whiskey expert was recommending a certain bottle so I went out and bought one. I tried it and found it rather bad, I much more liked another bottle that was half the price and didn't score so well with the "experts".

This is not aimed at anyone personally this is just something in general I'm always wondering when people ask to recommend them headphones and how helpful it really is. You can fill pages with text and graphs but how does one describe taste.

eddantes

I hardly ever reply in headphones recommendation threads as I find it too personal to be able to really say anything about it.

For example a lot of people recommend the Sennheiser HD6XX as being good sounding and comfortable.
I agree that they're pretty good sounding but they're not comfortable at all for me. Maybe it's my weird head, ears, combination of both or that I wear glasses but I've tried the Sennheiser 6xx, 7xxx and 8xx series and none of them were comfortable to me. First 30 minutes it's ok and then it slowly starts to get "annoying" and after an hour or so it gets downright uncomfortable. Yet a lot of people are praising Sennheiser for how comfortable they are.

Sound is the same imho, very personal.
I've modded my Fostex T50RP MK3 in such away that it has a bit more bass response but nothing major, just a little bit to make it sound right to me. A friend of my borrowed the Fostex for a couple days and he didn't like them at all. According to him there was not nearly enough bass and they sounded like tin cans.

I would recommend the modded Fostex as I think they're very good sounding in their price bracket. My friend wouldn't even accept one for free as he dislikes it a lot... which opinion/recommendation carries more weight?

Above is just to show how personal sound is, what is great and enjoyable for one is perceived as terrible to another.
From what I read I get the impression that people recommend headphones based on what they find comfortable and good sounding. But that doesn't mean that another has the same opinion. So how much value does that recommendation really have then..?

Sound is such a personal thing like taste, 1001 people will have 1001 different tastes and will like/dislike 1001 different things.
Recommending headphones is like recommending food/drink. Some whiskey expert was recommending a certain bottle so I went out and bought one. I tried it and found it rather bad, I much more liked another bottle that was half the price and didn't score so well with the "experts".

This is not aimed at anyone personally this is just something in general I'm always wondering when people ask to recommend them headphones and how helpful it really is. You can fill pages with text and graphs but how does one describe taste.
On ASR, one hopes, recommendations are based on measurements. I suggested @solderdude might have an informed opinion, not because he's listened to a hundred of headphones, but because he's measured a hundred of headphones. I expressed an opinion based on two headphonnes whose measurements I've seen, otherwise I can't really opine for the reasons you list above. So while preferences may be personal, measurements are not, thus recommendations are valid.

Last edited:

Lupin

On ASR, one hopes, recommendations are based on measurements. I suggested @solderdude might have an informed opinion, not because he's listened to hundreds of headphones, but because he's measured hundreds of headphones. I expressed an opinion based on two headphonnes whose measurements I've seen, otherwise I can't really opine for the reasons you list above. So while preferences may be personal, measurements are not, thus recommendations are valid.
Measurements for DACs and AMPs yes I agree as those components should be transparent and not do anything to the sound other than converting it and amplify it. Measurements show if those components do a good job of that or not.

However it gets personal and a matter of taste when it comes to headphones/speakers.
That an headphone measures in a certain way doesn't automatically mean I will like how they sound.

OP
papachigly

papachigly

The logic behind asking in a thread about which headphones to buy (coming from a superlux HD681 EVO) was due to the overwhelming choice out there, plus my totally limited knowledge of headphone technology. I get that people all have a personal preference and until I can test any of the headphones suggested, then I'll never know if they are indeed comfortable or have the sound signature I like. What I do appreciate is the nuggets of knowledge I get along the way - What to look out for or avoid when buying headphones. @solderdude I was listening on YT a guy comparing Sennheiser and AKG (not superlux)

eddantes

Measurements for DACs and AMPs yes I agree as those components should be transparent and not do anything to the sound other than converting it and amplify it. Measurements show if those components do a good job of that or not.

However it gets personal and a matter of taste when it comes to headphones/speakers.
That an headphone measures in a certain way doesn't automatically mean I will like how they sound.
True. Preference remains preference. However, once one has mapped that preference to a standardized reference (let's say the Harman curve) one can start to make reasonable assumptions, or a better word would be "predictions" about the likelihood of preference matching a headphone. All, a long way to say - preference does not negate measurement or dismiss it. Anyways, not here to debate - have a look thorough Dr. Sean Olive's research on the subject - if you wish to know more. All the best!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
. @solderdude I was listening on YT a guy comparing Sennheiser and AKG (not superlux)
Ahh. So you were going on this guys recommendations and findings rather than listening yourself to both headphones (at a store or so).
While the HD600 is a good headphone I would not characterize it as 'fun' but more as 'accurate' to the recording but a bit bass shy.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I currently have a pair of HD-560s and have had both the HD-650, the AGK K371 in the past.

They are all great sounding headphones, but, for me at least, the HD-560s are the most comfortable, they're very light, without being flimsy. The HD-650, wasn't far behind, whereas I couldn't get on with the K371, they're nice and light, but the closed back design and the plastic ear pads made my ears uncomfortably hot after a short while.

OP
papachigly

papachigly

Just to update, I ended up buying a pair of Sony MDR-1AM2s. I basically narrowed it down to these or Meze 99 Classics.The Sony ones seemed to tick all the boxes - Watching movies was a big part of that decision. Thank you all for the suggestions and input!

ADU

Major Contributor
I have tried the HD 560 on for the fit at BB, but that's about it so far.

I wouldn't mind trying one of the lower cost HiFiMan's as well at some point, since I've never used or owned a planar magnetic headphone. All my headphones have been closed, dynamic, studio type headphones in the $100 to $200 range up to this point.

I did try the Beats Solo2 on-ear wired headphones though, which was awhile back.

Thermionicon

Forum Donor
Need some help choosing headphones around $200 - $250 range.

- MUST be comfortable with no hot-spots, particularly on the central head part as this is where I feel most discomfort.
- Fun sounding with slight V shaped sound signature as I'll be using then headphones for not only music but also some movie watching.
- Type of music I listen being a lot of 60's 70's Rock, Jazz and Funk.

Bearing in mind I'm going from a Superlux HD681 to whatever you guys suggest, plus I'm no expert in terminology but understand
that Y sound signature (I think) means making the bass and treble 'pop' a little. With the type of music I listen to, I guess that the mids
need to be somewhat pronounced. I'm also aware that EQ may fix what the headphones may lack.
Ending on the note that comfort is 50% of the reason on choosing a headphone.
Any help/advise would be really appreciated as I'm at a bit of a lost with the vast array out there, although having so much choice is awesome.

EDIT: List of headphones suggested so far..

- Drop/Sennheiser HD6XX., Beyerdynamic dt990, AKG 702, AKG 371.

These to be paired with a portable Bluetooth DAC Shanling UP4 - xDuoo XP2 Pro or Fiio btr5
How about a a set of used HifiMan Sundara, it'll get you into 'the foothills of the high end' and maybe only thing they might need is a set of Dekoni pads!

Razvan

For a closed-back, I would suggest an Audio Technica SR50BT. They have an balanced, non fatiguing sound, suited for most genres.
They sound funtastic wired (for under 200$) and very good wireless.

pk500

HiFiMan HE-400se. A ridiculous value at $150.

These planar-magnetic, open-back headphones have engaging, "musical" sound. No excess in any frequency, but the sound overall is "lively."

The only negative is amplification is required, so they're not the greatest portable cans. But the HiFiMan HE-400se, connected to a hip-dac with an Audiophile Ninja 4.4 balanced cable, is my daily driver over the Meze 99 Classics, Sennheiser HD560s and Moondrop Starfields that I also own. I love this combination so much that I'm considering selling my other three units to start gathering funds for what's "next."

Fantastic headphones.

Xii-Nyth

Thank you for the recommendations so far! I see HD6XX have a lot of love and have seen a few reviews on them. Glad to hear they are comfortable too! I've heard that the AKG K371 isn't so comfortable but I guess it's different for each person. What about the Meze 99 Neos?
yes was about to mention the meze 99 noires if you like bass, not sure if the neos or classics are any different besides the outer material

also Id reccommend the tygr 300r in that price range

adama99

Another vote for the Sennheiser HD 560S in this price range.

Mine arrived on Friday, and fit comfortably despite my somewhat oversized ears and have a well-balanced sound (largely neutral with present but not over-emphasized bass). They are a little bright in the treble, but not to the point of being sharp or piercing.

Not going to replace my DT 1990, but they beat other similarly priced open-backs I've tried.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are a little bright in the treble, but not to the point of being sharp or piercing.
Talking about sharp and piercing. I EQ'd my HD 598 for a fun snappy sound. (Predecessor to the HD 560) The top end is nice.
peace eq setrtings.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You must be over 50 when you can stand 16kHz +30dB :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
-30dB pre-amp... you must have a headphone amplifier with a LOT of gain to make up for that.or have very sensitive headphones or don't listen very loud.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
-30dB pre-amp... you must have a headphone amplifier with a LOT of gain to make up for that.or have very sensitive headphones or don't listen very loud.
I could use a amp for music that has low levels but the motherboard goes loud enough with most stuff to not hear a door knock. I used the -30dB because the peak value meter level was too high after I EQ'd.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifiman HE4XX are my favorite affordable cans, I prefer their engaging and "fun" sound signature to even my HD-650.
When I got my first pair of those, first thoughts in the first five seconds were "Wow these are fun!". They really are.

Top Bottom