• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones around the $200 with 'FUN' sound signature.

pk500

HD 560s are flat and neutral as hell. Analytical, but not exactly what I would call "fun," unless the treble peak creates a brightness that you like.

Sure, M50x have bass rumble. That same thunder also replaces the mids, as the M50x doesn't have them. Perhaps the most V-shaped wired headphone I've heard, with lots of bass and treble and nothing else.

My vote is for the Meze 99 Noir or Neo. Rich bass that bleeds into the mids, no doubt, but there still are mids and highs present. The highs roll off slightly while still having some detail, so you can listen to these all day without treble fatigue. $200.

adama99

Sure, M50x have bass rumble. That same thunder also replaces the mids, as the M50x doesn't have them. Perhaps the most V-shaped wired headphone I've heard, with lots of bass and treble and nothing else.

My vote is for the Meze 99 Noir or Neo. Rich bass that bleeds into the mids, no doubt, but there still are mids and highs present. The highs roll off slightly while still having some detail, so you can listen to these all day without treble fatigue. $200.

meze99neo-m50x-graphs.png

pk500

Have you LISTENED extensively to both of the cans in question, or are you just throwing frequency curves at me as the final arbiter? I have OWNED and listened to both extensively, and the 99 Classics -- while having a consumer-oriented, V-shaped signature like the M50x -- are a FAR better headphone because the bass only bloats a bit and because there is far greater imaging, separation, detail and soundstage than the M50x. Plus, the 99 Classics are FAR more comfortable than the M50x and their thin earpads and shallow cups.

Imaging, separation, detail, soundstage and comfort -- all of the vital parameters your curve doesn't show.

The devotion to frequency curves as the ultimate arbiter of a headphone's quality cracks me up. It's like foisting unreal horsepower and 0-60 acceleration figures to justify a sports car that drives like a tugboat.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you LISTENED extensively to both of the cans in question, or are you just throwing frequency curves at me as the final arbiter? I have OWNED and listened to both extensively, and the 99 Classics -- while having a consumer-oriented, V-shaped signature like the M50x -- are a FAR better headphone because the bass only bloats a bit and because there is far greater imaging, separation and soundstage than the M50x. Plus, the 99 Classics are FAR more comfortable than the M50x and their thin earpads and shallow cups.

Imaging, separation, soundstage and comfort -- you know, all of the vital parameters that your curve doesn't show.
I can only speak to the meze and the m50 BT but both of those are crap.

pk500

I can only speak to the meze and the m50 BT but both of those are crap.
The Meze feature basically a refined V-shaped consumer sound signature with treble that rolls off instead of piercing the eardrums with a grainy mess like the M50x. But yeah, both are very bassy cans.

Bleib

Major Contributor
HD 560s are flat and neutral as hell. Analytical, but not exactly what I would call "fun," unless the treble peak creates a brightness that you like.
A treble peak makes it non-neutral. And I know, I have tried them for 2 weeks. At first it gives the impression of absolutely demolishing my AKG 271 but the 560s adds its signature to everything pretty much which ended up with listening fatigue.
I would classify them as "fun" headphones, but neutral they ain't...another example of marketing department being full of it.

pk500

A treble peak makes it non-neutral. And I know, I have tried them for 2 weeks. At first it gives the impression of absolutely demolishing my AKG 271 but the 560s adds its signature to everything pretty much which ended up with listening fatigue.
I would classify them as "fun" headphones, but neutral they ain't...another example of marketing department being full of it.
Good point. Yeah, I was a bit underwhelmed by the HD 560s. The treble peak hit me right at the wrong spot, and the analytical nature of the rest of the frequency curve made the headphone a bit boring.

Trust me, I don't like a monstrous, V-shaped consumer sound. But I like something a bit more engaging and "musical" than the HD 560s, even if it didn't have the treble peak.

adama99

Have you LISTENED extensively to both of the cans in question, or are you just throwing frequency curves at me as the final arbiter?

The frequency curve adds useful objective context to your subjective review.

Subjectively, you like the Meze 99. Subjectively, here's what someone who has listened to many headphones said about them:

To me it sounds fatty, bassy, hollow and lacks ‘bite’ which are all negative words

Are you wrong? Is he wrong? No - because they're both opinions. Different people will experience the same headphones differently for various reasons, so it's important to consider both the subjective and the objective when considering purchasing or auditioning a set.

Imaging, separation, detail, soundstage and comfort -- all of the vital parameters your curve doesn't show.

None of which you mentioned previously. You complained about the bass, mids, and treble - which the curve does show.

Yes, the factory pads on the ATH-M line lack for comfort. My M50X has aftermarket pads that greatly improve both comfort and quality of the bass and treble. I selected a specific model of pad to try based on objective measurements, and then confirmed I was getting the desired change in the sound via subjective listening tests.

pk500

The frequency curve adds useful objective context to your subjective review.

Subjectively, you like the Meze 99. Subjectively, here's what someone who has listened to many headphones said about them:
Subjectively, you're wrong. I'm selling my Meze 99 Classics because of the excessive bass bloom, even after a swap to Brainwavz Oval Hybrid pads. Those tamed the bass thump and provided my big ears with more comfort, but the bass still bleeds too much into the mids for my taste.

But for someone who can tolerate that bloom, the Meze 99 Noir or Neo would be a far better choice than the M50x because that headphone actually has a midrange that isn't crushed by bass or singed by flaming, grainy treble like the M50x.

The Meze's also have better soundstage, imaging and detail than the M50x. They're a lot more comfortable for most, too.

I'll give the M50x one compliment: Even though they're mainly plastic, they're built like tanks. A well-cared M50x may last decades other than replacement pads.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

pk500

I also returned a pair of Meze 99 Classics, the bass quality was terrible imo.
Meze 99 Classics are an excellent gateway drug into audiophile headphones for those coming from consumer-oriented tuning such as Sony, Bose and Beats Bluetooth over-ear cans.

Yep, they're bassy as hell and bleed into the mids. But at least they have some midrange, and the highs are very rolled off unlike the grainy, hot treble of consumer-oriented tuning.

Bottom line: The 99 Classics are what I would give to someone for whom a true audiophile sound signature would sound very flat and lifeless and would be a jarring experience. They served that purpose for me for a bit until I became more well-versed in better sound signatures.

But now? No, I don't listen to them much, even after a Brainwavz Oval Hybrid pad roll to tame the bass. Still too much uncontrolled, blooming oomph for my ever-changing and refining tastes.

tknx

Philips X2s honestly just have such a nice pleasant tuning and airiness. They aren’t the be all/end all or anything but I often go back to them.

pk500

That hasn't been my experience with the m50x.
In what way? You think they're good? If so, what other closed-backs under $350 have you heard for comparison? Curious.

Top Bottom