• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones around the $200 with 'FUN' sound signature.

papachigly

Need some help choosing headphones around $200 - $250 range.

- MUST be comfortable with no hot-spots, particularly on the central head part as this is where I feel most discomfort.
- Fun sounding with slight V shaped sound signature as I'll be using then headphones for not only music but also some movie watching.
- Type of music I listen being a lot of 60's 70's Rock, Jazz and Funk.

Bearing in mind I'm going from a Superlux HD681 to whatever you guys suggest, plus I'm no expert in terminology but understand
that Y sound signature (I think) means making the bass and treble 'pop' a little. With the type of music I listen to, I guess that the mids
need to be somewhat pronounced. I'm also aware that EQ may fix what the headphones may lack.
Ending on the note that comfort is 50% of the reason on choosing a headphone.
Any help/advise would be really appreciated as I'm at a bit of a lost with the vast array out there, although having so much choice is awesome.

EDIT: List of headphones suggested so far..

- Drop/Sennheiser HD6XX., Beyerdynamic dt990, AKG 702, AKG 371.

These to be paired with a portable Bluetooth DAC Shanling UP4 - xDuoo XP2 Pro or Fiio btr5

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Around $250 I don't think there's a better value than the Drop/Sennheiser HD6XX. Sure, they don't have a ton of bass and some find them a little veiled (I personally dialed in a bit of high and low shelving) but the mids are amazingly accurate. I find them pretty comfortable even with my giant head.

fffffgggg54

Around $250 I don't think there's a better value than the Drop/Sennheiser HD6XX. Sure, they don't have a ton of bass and some find them a little veiled (I personally dialed in a bit of high and low shelving) but the mids are amazingly accurate. I find them pretty comfortable even with my giant head.
I agree with this. They perform well and feel pretty comfortable. The center of headband discomfort you mentioned is solved by a recessed area in the center of the pad.

Personally for comfort I have Dekoni velour pads on them that came bundled with the headphone when they were on sale. My ears protrude and the stock pads are too low for me, causing discomfort from my ears pressing against the headphones. The foam and fabric feel better than stock. Can wear the HD6xx and Dekoni pads for hours without discomfort.

Subjectively, Dekoni pads sound darker and slightly bass heavier than stock pads. Seems like they let slightly less outside sound in too. No fatigue during long sessions of listening.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning

These ought to be "fun"... And measure well... And less than your range...

index.php

OP
papachigly

papachigly

Thank you for the recommendations so far! I see HD6XX have a lot of love and have seen a few reviews on them. Glad to hear they are comfortable too! I've heard that the AKG K371 isn't so comfortable but I guess it's different for each person. What about the Meze 99 Neos?

xavx

Could recommend the AKG K702 to you for its soundstage (need EQ). Otherwise, order several headphones from Amazon, compare and keep only the one you like the most.

someguyontheinternet

The Meze 99 Neo/Classic really need EQ to get fidelity. The comfort is very good though. So far Meze headphones are the only ones that can compete with DCA for comfort in my experience.

OP
papachigly

papachigly

Coming from the Superlux HD681 which is a semi open-back, I guess it could be either open or closed. There isn't anyone who I might annoy so sound leakage won't be an isuue. I understand that a closed-back would create more heat but as long as it's bearable, then no probs.
I forgot to mention that I'll be pairing them with a portable Bluetooth DAC (which is another choice to be made between Shanling - xDuoo and fiio btr5).
I do really like the idea of a suspension headband as it makes sense in my head to give you really plush comfort.

yossarian

The Meze 99 Neo/Classic really need EQ to get fidelity. The comfort is very good though. So far Meze headphones are the only ones that can compete with DCA for comfort in my experience.
This seems to be very personal. I had Meze 99 (Noir version) and I had several comfort issues: My ears touching the drivers, elastic headband making noise as I was walking. Despite my best attempts at EQing them, I never was able to get a really good sound out of them either.

OP
papachigly

papachigly

Looks like the Meze 99s creaking issue on the headband would drive me mad!
How would the AKG 712 Pros compare to the AKG 702s that were suggested?

yossarian

To make things clear: the headband was creaking only when I was vigorously walking. I have used them for commuting by train without issues for some time.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems to be very personal. I had Meze 99 (Noir version) and I had several comfort issues: My ears touching the drivers, elastic headband making noise as I was walking. Despite my best attempts at EQing them, I never was able to get a really good sound out of them either.
Im with you on all of that. Not a fan.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
AKGs that Amir reviewed look like they should fit what you want perfectly. Plus, you do not need to EQ. Literally plug and play. Doesn't get any better than that.

KR500

Beyer DT990 edition ( with eq ) is fun .
Well constructed and comfortable with replaceable pads and bands and below your range pricewise

Robin L

Master Contributor
I would hesitate calling the Drop 6XXs "fun". They are very good. Treble's there, but somehow soft. You need a lot of eq and a bit of power to get them to reproduce bass, a little soft down there too. The AKG K371 doesn't require power or eq to properly reproduce bass, has more of what I would describe as a "fun" sound. Cost nearly half as much as the 6XXs.

But

The Drop 6XX is more comfortable, feels more secure on the head. The AKG 'phones manage to warm up you ears while not really having all that much isolation. The 6XX sounds more natural with acoustic music, and with most classical/jazz doesn't really need a bass boost.

MCH

Major Contributor
Thank you for the recommendations so far! I see HD6XX have a lot of love and have seen a few reviews on them. Glad to hear they are comfortable too! I've heard that the AKG K371 isn't so comfortable but I guess it's different for each person. What about the Meze 99 Neos?
K371 are super comfortable to me but they have a peculiar, not so good in my opinion, band adjustment mechanism. Also the chunky cable connection pointing down might annoy some people (not me).

Top Bottom