• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones / Amp recommendation for given budget

tamask01

Hi all,
I'm new to audio stuff and I'd like to make my first meaningful purchase. I'd like to ask you for suggestions as your product reviews and general know-how seemed better than other forums. I'll keep my question clutter free.

Topic
Audio setup for PC desktop, looking for Headphones and amplifier (and DAC if needed?)

Budget
600 $, give or take for the whole thing.

Use case/setup
Used only at home, at a desktop PC. Will game or listen to whatever I feel like at the time but will do no serious sound / music production.
  • No active noise cancelling needed
  • Passive noise cancel isn't a requirement either
  • Wired only
  • Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B550-f with its SupremeFX audio, whatever that is
  • I wear glasses
  • I'll wear the headphones for a couple of hours at most at a time, not the whole day
  • No microphone needed / not for competitive gaming
My homework
I looked up reviews here and on other sites. I learned about some brands I haven't known before but not every great brand has all perfect product lineup. Based on that I think my product category is the "entry level audiophile" stuff. For this price range I think most of the budget should be spent on the headphones but I'll definitely need an amplifier to power it properly and for convenience.

Why I think I'll need an amplifier
I tried a Sennheiser HD 560S through my MoBo's rear IO audio slot, it had a terribly weak and hollow (albeit accurate) sound so I returned it. I learned later on that it is advised to use the front panel audio but that doesn't work on my pc case... (facepalm).

I read up on amplifiers for my budget and the Schiit Magni Heresy looked a good value.

Why I don't think I'll need a DAC
My short experiment with the SH HD560S showed that I hear no hissing, static or crackling so the conversion was accurate enough. Should I buy a cheap DAC anyway? Would that make a difference?

The headphones
Honestly, I have no idea, the possibilities are endless and there are some great options from HiFiman, Sennheiser, Audio Technica to name a few.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'd say maybe the AKG-K371 and something like a fiio E10K would probably be just superb.

But yeah, the Heresy is a fantastic amp. My setup is a Topping E10 dac into the Heresy and then Hifiman HE-400i headphones (EQ'd via Oratory with just a tad less bass) and frankly, I have no need or desire for anything else. It sounds incredibly good...you can forget all about that "entry level audio" bull crap. For that $600 budget, you are getting top tier sound. Don't fall for the BS.

As far as the dac goes, you're right. You probably don't need it. I have a thing about headphone outs on laptops (and honestly with PC on-board sound chips in general) myself. I've had a couple flakey ones over the years. I like going the USB route to a separate dac.

Last edited:

iamsms

Hifiman Sundara + topping dx3 pro plus/smsl stack (su6/sh6)/jds lab stack/jds atom stack/topping ex5 would be my choice.

If you wanna spend $100 or so more, you can get hifiman edition xs too, but I haven't heard it personally.

OP
T

tamask01

Thanks for the answers.

I've seen Hifiman headphones reviewed here, many of them got great reviews and accurate sounds so I think that's where I will start.
Which one do you prefer between the HE-400i, edition xs or Sundara? I mean, I heard both of them are great but they must be different somehow.
As for the amp, the SMSL is a bit out of my budget (it costs almost double the price of a Schiit around here).

Do you think any of those headphones need an equalizer?

Top Bottom