• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone with the same sound profile and quality as AKG K371 but better build quality?

boselover61

I really like the K371 but the build quality is very terrible per my experience. I travel quite a bit for either work or business and they all 3 broke within months. What headphone that would yield the same positive experience as the K371 but with better build quality?

samwell7

I haven't seen any FR charts but if you can get a set of Sony MDR-7520 secondhand I'd say they'd fit the bill, extremely well built.
Mixes translate very well from the MDR-7520 so I'd say the frequency response would be close to flat

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I see the K371 (provided you get a good seal) as kind of a reference for tonal balance out of the box.

It has downsides: longevity (build quality), fit is not for everyone, pleather pads get sweaty/sticky, microphonic cable and the slight treble peak can annoy with pop music (fixable).
For me the HD650 (with EQ) remains the top contender to compare to as a reference but there are more enjoyable headphones (at least to me).

despite measurements... nothing as personal and variable as a headphone, aside from perception itself.

samwell7

I see the K371 (provided you get a good seal) as kind of a reference for tonal balance out of the box.

It has downsides: longevity (build quality), fit is not for everyone, pleather pads get sweaty/sticky, microphonic cable and the slight treble peak can annoy with pop music (fixable).
For me the HD650 (with EQ) remains the top contender to compare to as a reference but there are more enjoyable headphones (at least to me).

despite measurements... nothing as personal and variable as a headphone, aside from perception itself.
I'll need to try the K371 and the HD650, I remember trying the HD600 against the K702 but I preferred the K702 and sold the HD600, I kind of wish I kept the HD600 because it's nearly doubled in price since I had it!

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm looking for alternatives myself because I'm having comfort issues. Out of those I've owned Beyer DT250-250 was pretty similar sound wise and well built. I've heard good things about Dan Clarke Aeon 2 closed and it measures close to the Harman target. Other possible candidates based on measurements are NAD HP70 and Sennheiser PXC550-II but I don't know about build qulity.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Could you name a few HPs, which are more enjoyable in your opinion?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They would only be more enjoyable to me, they may not be preferred to you.

For closed back (the K371 is closed) I prefer the DT1770 (modified and filtered), DT1350 (EQ'ed) and Audeze Sine with Vesper Audio pads and a passive filter.
The K371 sounded good (with treble filter) but fit, longevity and microphonic cable were downsides as well as the pads (I prefer velour)

Pretorious

It may be worth trying the Beyerdynamic DT 770. Better parts and construction overall, I think, and a workhorse in the studio. Sound signature is very close to Harman Target, thus alike to the K371.

I would prefer it for similar reasons listed above: good comfort, and I also like velour pads over pleather.

Grotti

Forum Donor
I sold Beyer many years ago and I remember I disliked the sharpness in the treble of nearly every model I tested. Might give them a try though since PEQ should be able to fix that.
Perhaps I should shell out a few Euros more and give the Aeon2 closed a try....

Grotti

Forum Donor
Closed back.... Sharing the living room with my wife ;)

Grotti

Forum Donor
Well, the K872 is the most obvious option. It is AKG's flagship closed-back with reference tuning and what I would imagine to be pretty solid build quality.
Well, the review of the Aeon RT by Amirm and the fact, that he will test the K371 as well in near future makes me hesitate.... I will wait for the results. Even though it seems, that the RT is not available in Germany and I would have to order it directly from the manufacturer which means toll, increased costs of transport, taxes and inconvenience in case of warranty....

I will have to make up my mind. Anyway: thank you for your suggestion :)

3125b

Major Contributor
In what way did they break? How do you carry them?
Could (TWS) In-Ears be an option?
I was pretty impressed with the Sennheiser HD 569, somewhat warm and maybe a bit wonky tuning (but pretty decent still, nowhere near as bad as the open HD 5X9), but with EQ they are superior to the K371 in my opinion as far as sound goes (especially imaging/soundstage) and available for 50-60€ in like new used condition quite frequently. However they aren't a marble in build quality either.
The Beyerdynamic Custom Studio could fit your bill, they sure are durable, however you would pay the price in sound quality (mainly, but not only tuning).

Grotti

Forum Donor
In what way did they break? How do you carry them?
Could (TWS) In-Ears be an option?
I was pretty impressed with the Sennheiser HD 569, somewhat warm and maybe a bit wonky tuning (but pretty decent still, nowhere near as bad as the open HD 5X9), but with EQ they are superior to the K371 in my opinion as far as sound goes (especially imaging/soundstage) and available for 50-60€ in like new used condition quite frequently. However they aren't a marble in build quality either.
The Beyerdynamic Custom Studio could fit your bill, they sure are durable, however you would pay the price in sound quality (mainly, but not only tuning).
For me IEMs are no option since I can't stand those plugs in my ears.
And in case of issues with any device I prefer to have service nearby instead of possibly having to send a device around half the world. Not that this happens often, but one can rely on this law: always happens with items purchased abroad ;)

bravomail

I really like the K371 but the build quality is very terrible per my experience. I travel quite a bit for either work or business and they all 3 broke within months. What headphone that would yield the same positive experience as the K371 but with better build quality?

get a box for K371. :)
try Audiotechnica M40x.
Try some closed back Sennheisers - they sturdy, but I cannot come up with models.

Top Bottom