• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone upgrade for $500

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

I have the urge to splurge for an end all headphone at $500 or below price range. I currently own the Hifiman He400se and Sennheiser HD560s. Both are great headphones and I got them to mod and tinker with. The end all headphones are solely for purpose of listening with my desktop setup of Schiit Modi+SMSLHO100. Aside from Hifiman offerings of Sundara or Arya, what else is there that would be an upgrade worth splurging on. Obviously I prefer open backs more than closed backs.
Thanks

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the whole Hifiman line up to the Arya, and now I'm here listening to the HE5XX I got for $90 on eBay and really happy to use it for a daily driver. The Arya isn't worth the money. The Sundara has a tight clamp, if you have have any larger than normal head it's going to be a squeeze. The Ananda would be a great choice, and you have the power for it (the Arya takes 2 watts into 32 ohm and recommend a balanced DAC for it to sound good since you need headroom to equalize). Can't go wrong if you find an HE5xx in the $100-$120 range. The Ananda under $400 would be a win also.

Top Bottom