• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone specific to Genre

Kevbaz

There are a lot of questions for recommendations for headphones for a specific Genre like classical, jazz etc.
Are some headphones better for some genres or should a headphone that is neutral such as one following Harman target be a better option.
I hear a lot of people saying Grado are great for Jazz, what is it that makes a headphone better for one Genre such as Jazz.
Cheers
Kev

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Flaws of headphones with an unbalanced frequency response might be more or less obvious with specific music genres. A well designed headphone should work well with all types of music.
That’s what I would assume also, but seems a large number of people recommend specific makes/models for certain genre. But it does seem mostly on other forums that happens.
Kev

markanini

Major Contributor
I'd go as far as generalizing that open backs are better at female vocals, acoustic instruments. Closed backs are better for bass heavy music with forward drums. I don't like that excuses are made for a headphone being limited by its construction type though. AKG K371 for example can do it all, basically. I haven't heard an open back with the low-end slam that satisfies me yet but I'll still listen to any open back.

Saying that certain brands are better for certain genres sounds really random.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A good headphone can play music from any genre. However, different sound signatures (which does not have to mean different headphones, you can do it using EQ to a great extent) can be particularly pleasing for different genres and applications. My preferred headphone is the Etymotic ER4SR (OK, I guess its not a headphone), some find it dry and lifeless but I find it neutral, balanced and detailed and it suits me perfectly. However, when I play rock and pop (mostly I listen to symphonies and opera) I still enjoy my Sony MDR-Z7 which has a kind of 'Beats-lite' tuning, I don't normally like hyped bass but there are rock tracks where it works and is a lot of fun. Which is weird because I still dispute the idea that the ER4SR lacks bass and think that it rather does not emphasise bass (not the same thing). The reason I am not a fan of the Harman curve is that I find it bass heavy for most music I listen to (which is not bass lite music, orchestral music has loads of bass) but for some tracks I admit I like it.

Top Bottom