• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Pad Thickness Effect

respice finem

Major Contributor
Not supposed to but some become really grudge and the stuff you use to clean them cab have an influence on the foam/cover material.
Last year, I've risked washing a pair of pads (DT-990 Edition) and the inlay manually, in lukewarm water with "Perwoll", having replacement pads as "backup" of course. After rinsing and gently pressing the water out, left to dry naturally. The good thing about it: the pads became "as new", at least optically, they did not seem to have suffered any "structural damage" either. The bad: they needed three days to dry. I think those pads have "normal" foam, not "memory" foam, but I'm not sure.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, these pads have normal foam.
On top of that the foam they used in the softer pads decays quite quickly. The firmer foam pads (less comfy) will last longer.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Have you (or anyone here) tried to wash "memory foam" pads? Both of my current headphones (T1 Mk2 and DT 1990 Pro) have those AFAIK.

Reactions: buz
Top Bottom