• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Out on Casio Piano

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rolls MB15b Promatch 2-Way Stereo Converter https://a.co/d/9ka11q2

With appropriate cables. It’s stereo out so you need to convert to balanced stereo out RCA to Balanced XLR/1/4” TRS input

Edit: the Rolls has 3.5mm in also

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
This should work...

A headphone signal is about "line level" except it's capable of driving lower impedance headphones and the headphone output almost always has a volume control where sometimes a line-output does not.

If the output is stereo you need to "split" the left & right into inputs 1 & 2. You'll probably need a combination of cable adapters...

"Mono" TS Adapters (like a guitar plug) might be "safer than a TRS plug because a TRS plug might make a balanced connection* (the headphone output is unbalanced) and it's just easier to get the correct connections. Then you'd need a cable like this.

This probably isn't necessary but for "deep troubleshooting" you might try a headphone Y-splitter so you can plug in headphones at the same time to see if somehow connecting the interface is killing the signal.

*Stereo into a balanced connection results in left minus right subtraction and that would foul-up the signal in "strange ways". With regular stereo music it makes a "center channel vocal" remover, which removes everything in the center (everything identical in both channels) including the bass. If the output is actually dual-mono.... Both channels identical but with a stereo plug so you get sound in both ears... Of course subtraction gives you silence (or near silence).

Last edited:
OP
H

Hewbacca

I don't suppose any of you know if other, better, digital pianos put out mono signals and would use just one input on my interface? Or is this just a common thing for pianos specifically as opposed to other types of instruments?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I don't suppose any of you know if other, better, digital pianos put out mono signals and would use just one input on my interface? Or is this just a common thing for pianos specifically as opposed to other types of instruments?
I'm assuming your piano doesn't put out different left/right signals. (why would it?)

If that is correct, then you can simply use the splitter cable mentioned above, and only connect one of the L/R channels.

OP
H

Hewbacca

I'm assuming your piano doesn't put out different left/right signals. (why would it?)

If that is correct, then you can simply use the splitter cable mentioned above, and only connect one of the L/R channels.

Brilliant. I will try this and report back.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

No, keybords give usually stereo signal. For reverb, and other stereo effects.
So you need both channels of your interface.

OP
H

Hewbacca

Thanks. I am talking to a streamer friend of mine as well, I think most pianos do audio over USB and that is how most people are getting the audio out of them. The ones using analog are typically using splitters.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Thanks. I am talking to a streamer friend of mine as well, I think most pianos do audio over USB and that is how most people are getting the audio out of them. The ones using analog are typically using splitters.

So you just use the splitter and connect to both inputs to the scarlett.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hewbacca

Confirming, splitter cable with both ends connected to interface sounds identical to headphones connected directly.

The theory that one end of the splitter cable connected to one interface, and interface set to mono would sound the same, disproved. It sounds better than the original setup, but still losing information vs. using both ends & two interface ports.

Thanks all for the help!

Top Bottom