• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Microphonics

• Thread starter Deleted member 9286
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9286

My favourite pair of headphones are the Mr Speakers Aeon Closed. To my ears they are the most realistic sounding headphones I’ve heard. The only fault I can find with them is the microphonics. Am I right in thinking that this is primarily down to the cable and there could be a less microphonic cable out there?

I did look to replace the cable for this reason a year or so ago but all I could find were over-priced audiophile cables, that promised big on wider soundstage and detail but were somewhat sketchy on lowing microphonics :facepalm: . I eventually gave up.....until I found this place!

I’ve had them a couple of years and listen to them almost daily and enjoy them, but it does get irritating at times, especially if I’m wearing a polo shirt.

Any ideas?

Thanks

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, it is the cable and connector 'conducting' mechanical noises to the cup.

Solutions are:
A: modify the cable entry (isolate it mechanically inside from the enclosure) which is quite the undertaking.
I use a very short extension cable (other headphone) that has a soft silicone sheeth and very thin coiled wires for the connection. This helps a little.
B: try a different cable (smooth and soft exterior) the braided ones are the worst when rubbing against clothes.
C: reroute the cable coming from the headphone. So cable upwards and fixed to the headband for instance. This way mechanically conducted sounds go partially in the headband and thus are attenuated.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I have a headphone cable from Custom Cans: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables.html

I thought it was reasonably priced and the whole assembly is quite soft and pliable and remains tangle free. I've had no issues with noise transmitted to the ear cups. You can even choose your own colours for the outer. :)

OP
D

Deleted member 9286

Thanks @Count Arthur

I’ve heard mixed reviews regarding custom cans, plus they are still a little too pricey for me, given we’re talking some basic cable and connectors.

Does anyone know how difficult the hirose connectors are to solder? I’m wondering if I can make my own cable.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I've made up quite a few cables, it's pretty straight forward, but can be quite fiddly and time consuming, especially if you have a bulky-ish cable and a small connector and housing to fit everything in to - like some of the little connectors used for the headphone cups.

It takes even more time if you forget to slide the back/housing of the connector up the cable before you solder the wires to the plug and have to de-solder everything and start again. :facepalm:

Top Bottom