• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Fundamentals

OP
A

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am curious what would be the next logical steps to enhance this document by adding a few more topics regarding headphones and/or headphone amplifiers. The document makes it clear that low output impedance in the amplifier is desirable, however I didn't discuss amplifier power nor do I know the best way to discuss it. Are there any other amplifier specs besides output impedance and power that are relevant? Also, I suppose I could take a stab at explaining headphone target curves.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Frequency range, phase, input impedance, volume control, gain, noise, distortion (profile), connectivity (SE, balanced) to name but a few. Not to mention ergonomics, weight, operating principle.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yep, and things like fully balanced throughout or not and component choices.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I use your list regularly for years and already wanted to ask you if an update might come. Several of the headphones that I use for testing are missing as they came out around or after 2016. This list is too good to not keep it alive!

Updated... thanks or reminding me.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
There is a mistake however with HiFiMAN Susvara data set.
EDIT: Actually, the whole "power" section is off for all headphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yep.. something is was fishy...
Power levels seem correct though
Do note that the 90 and 105dB SPL columns are in mW and the 120dB SPL is in Watt.
The voltage column (left of the dBmW) was incorrect (For some reason had a 1.5x multiplier in it)

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Probably the Bass.
Alright, I stole that from the other guy ... :)

Top Bottom