• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone, DAC, and amp suggestions for newbie who likes big soundstage and sub bass

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi All,

I have been listening to music mostly via my 5.2 setup. I like electronica that places notes in large 3D space all around me, with nice 30hz and lower bass notes. I like it loud.

A very rough description of my 5.2 setup: retailed for ~US$22K, decent AV preamp, 4 decent stereo amps, decent speakers, and 2 sealed subs. Whole system have ~3250 watts RMS capability (~2500 watts RMS from subs).

Due to kid and wife now stay home for school and work, I have little opportunity listening loud. Thus, I am thinking about using better headphone setup.

I am a newbie in higher end headphones space. Basically my headphones are all less than US$100 and driven by my Samsung Note 9.

I am thinking about getting dac, amp, and headphone that would give me something similar to my 5.2 setup, excellent clarity, large soundstage, and good bass extension.

I am thinking about the new Sennheiser's HD560S, powered by TempoTec Sonata HD PRO to get started. Is this combo good enough to reproducing large 3d soundstages with nice bass extension and excellent clarity?

Any other combo suggestions to get started?

Thanks!

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Well, from where you are - perhaps be prepared for several iterations. First, HP planar vs. dynamics. Let's start with '$ is not an overwhelming issue' - so get the HD560s, but at the same time, a Hifiman HE400i, or Sundara.

Now an amp that will not hold back the planar. Despite what others say, IMO the hifimans need at least a watt. Better 2. An L30, Heresy. Even a Liquid Spark (what I use with the He400i. Hits above it's SINAD).

Next - absolutely essential - a means of PEQ. If your source is a PC, it's easy -Equalizer APO/Peace.

Personally, the further I can get from a PC anywhere in my chain, the better. So I have a Qudelix 5k (just added) for the PEQ requirement. (Follow it with a 'real' amp - L30 etc.)

Now start experimenting. Are you sensitive to distortion? If so, boost via PEQ the 'anemic' bass on the planar. Not so sensitive? Perhaps the HD560s may have offsetting better soundstage etc.

The idea is - buy a couple different examples of essentially entry level dynamics and planars. Play around and see what you like. Before committing to any $2000 HP, or electronics. (HP electronics are 'basically solved' for $500..IMO)

In summary, a test bed to start. Ex:
Streamer/DAP ($29 LG Rebel Android 8 tracFone,)>USB 3 wire OTG cable,> Qudelix 5k> L30 or similar amp> HP DUT (planars, dynamics, whatever)

Have fun!

Last edited:

jcadduono

106mm planar magnetic headphones will give you everything you want. E1DA's 9038SG3 is a great dacamp if you can find a balanced cable to match the headphone you buy. I use it with my LCD-X which is pretty sensitive for a planar and it gets extremely loud. Hard (impossible? -- ok I take that back, I hit it with bass from a Billie Eilish song and it struggled a bit at full tilt, but that was unreasonably loud BTW great for getting water out of your ears after a shower) to distinguish from my D90/THX789 desktop combo.
As for expanding that soundstage, a good crossfeed setup and possibly some reverb in Equalizer APO w/ HeSuVi can accomplish that for you.
I use VB-Audio HiFi Cable to create a 7.1 speaker output and route it into EQ APO and downmix it to 2.0 with HeSuVi crossfeed which works incredibly well for video games and watching 5.1/7.1/Atmos content.

EQ APO looks like this: (LFE is copied into L/R channels otherwise HeSuVi will drop it)
https://share.adduono.com/7zF9.png
In Windows sound settings for VB-Audio HiFi Cable in Recording tab I set it to Listen on the 9038SG3:
https://share.adduono.com/AabB.png

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Well, from where you are - perhaps be prepared for several iterations. First, HP planar vs. dynamics. Let's start with '$ is not an overwhelming issue' - so get the HD560s, but at the same time, a Hifiman HE400i, or Sundara.

Now an amp that will not hold back the planar. Despite what others say, IMO the hifimans need at least a watt. Better 2. An L30, Heresy. Even a Liquid Spark (what I use with the He400i. Hits above it's SINAD).

Next - absolutely essential - a means of PEQ. If your source is a PC, it's easy -Equalizer APO/Peace.

Personally, the further I can get from a PC anywhere in my chain, the better. So I have a Qudelix 5k (just added) for the PEQ requirement. (Follow it with a 'real' amp - L30 etc.)

Now start experimenting. Are you sensitive to distortion? If so, boost via PEQ the 'anemic' bass on the planar. Not so sensitive? Perhaps the HD560s may have offsetting better soundstage etc.

The idea is - buy a couple different examples of essentially entry level dynamics and planars. Play around and see what you like. Before committing to any $2000 HP, or electronics. (HP electronics are 'basically solved' for $500..IMO)

In summary, a test bed to start. Ex:
Streamer/DAP ($29 LG Rebel Android 8 tracFone,)>USB 3 wire OTG cable,> Qudelix 5k> L30 or similar amp> HP DUT (planars, dynamics, whatever)

Have fun!
Excellent suggestions! Will look into Qudelix and L30. Thanks!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
106mm planar magnetic headphones will give you everything you want. E1DA's 9038SG3 is a great dacamp if you can find a balanced cable to match the headphone you buy. I use it with my LCD-X which is pretty sensitive for a planar and it gets extremely loud. Hard (impossible? -- ok I take that back, I hit it with bass from a Billie Eilish song and it struggled a bit at full tilt, but that was unreasonably loud BTW great for getting water out of your ears after a shower) to distinguish from my D90/THX789 desktop combo.
As for expanding that soundstage, a good crossfeed setup and possibly some reverb in Equalizer APO w/ HeSuVi can accomplish that for you.
I use VB-Audio HiFi Cable to create a 7.1 speaker output and route it into EQ APO and downmix it to 2.0 with HeSuVi crossfeed which works incredibly well for video games and watching 5.1/7.1/Atmos content.

EQ APO looks like this: (LFE is copied into L/R channels otherwise HeSuVi will drop it)
https://share.adduono.com/7zF9.png
In Windows sound settings for VB-Audio HiFi Cable in Recording tab I set it to Listen on the 9038SG3:
https://share.adduono.com/AabB.png
Appreciate the information! I haven't thought about OS level sound adjustments for expanding soundstage. My Samsung Note 9 have atmos option too. Not sure how close it is with Windows apps. Thanks!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
HiFiMan HE400i ($169) + Schiit Magni Heresy ($99) + Schiit Modi 3 ($99) + Crsossfeed/Parametric EQ DSP in Roon ($10/month)

Thanks!

I got the Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR for US$116 during Amazon Prime day. I tried it with laptop headphone out, cheap USB dongle style DAC and amp, phone, and 2 different tablets. The HTC Nexus 9 tablet sounded the best to me with best bass clarity. So this is a good start to have something nice to listen around the house and not stuck to a desk.

I also got Khadas Tone Board DAC for $85.50 during Amazon Prime day. I think I will next get Topping L30 to complete the DAC+amp set for desktop listening. I alao have minidsp HD 2x4 to do eq if I need to.

Top Bottom