• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Correction & Spatialization

Theriverlethe

Sure, sorry, I hadn't realised I hadn't posted the actual values.

For "amount" = 100%, "angle" = 60°, the values are:

View attachment 64302

Or if you prefer a different setting, tell me what it is and I can work out the values for that.

Thanks. I had a hunch and generated pink noise with REW:
Left pink.JPG

With both channels driven the cancellation appears:
Both channels.JPG

It seems to be increased by the angle setting. These pictures show the angle at 75°. Setting the angle to 0° removes the effect, so I'd be reluctant to cancel it out with EQ.

Last edited:
OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 64303

View attachment 64304

It seems to be increased by the angle setting. These pictures show the angle at 75°. Setting the angle to 0° removes the effect, so I'd be reluctant to cancel it out with EQ.

Yes, that's what I found too.

FWIW, my experience was that EQ restored the tonal balance while leaving the spatial effect 100% intact.

Guermantes

View attachment 64303

View attachment 64304

Is this possibly an attempt to model "real" speakers reproducing a stereo image (with all their flaws) rather than an "ideal" system?

Theriverlethe

Yes, that's what I found too.

FWIW, my experience was that EQ restored the tonal balance while leaving the spatial effect 100% intact.

Wouldn't that just create a tonal imbalance for anything hard-panned to the left or right? I don't find the effect on the center image unpleasant.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't that just create a tonal imbalance for anything hard-panned to the left or right? I don't find the effect on the center image unpleasant.

In the case of Can Opener, the change in frequency response is constant whether the input is panned or centred.

In Waves NX, it's more sophisticated, with the FR change dependent on the location of the phantom image.

EDIT: let me just confirm that actually... It's definitely panning-independent in the case of Can Opener, I'm just not sure it's panning-dependent in the case of NX.

EDIT 2: I take it all back. It's dependent on panning for both plugins (I had a wrong setting engaged when In first checked the result).

Theriverlethe

In the case of Can Opener, the change in frequency response is constant whether the input is panned or centred.

In Waves NX, it's more sophisticated, with the FR change dependent on the location of the phantom image.

The first picture I posted shows no obvious FR change with the left channel only driven. The second picture shows both channels driven with pink noise.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The first picture I posted shows no obvious FR change with the left channel only driven. The second picture shows both channels driven with pink noise.

See my edit above.

That's interesting though, here's what I get from the R channel when only the R channel is driven:

1589852148264.png

And here's the R channel with only the L channel driven:

1589852212207.png

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I tryed all kinds of crossfeed/vitual room aplications and they all sound shit. Best I found is Abbey Road Studio 3, but it still colorizes af.
So I took some binaural IRs from WDR studios and tweeked it until I got most colorization out.
at the time I had a wide angle setup in my main speakers so I used a wide angle for this. I will create a regular stereo triangle version in the future since I went back to the standard:

Theriverlethe

I tryed all kinds of crossfeed/vitual room aplications and they all sound shit. Best I found is Abbey Road Studio 3, but it still colorizes af.
So I took some binaural IRs from WDR studios and tweeked it until I got most colorization out.
at the time I had a wide angle setup in my main speakers so I used a wide angle for this. I will create a regular stereo triangle version in the future since I went back to the standard:

Did you try CanOpener? It seems pretty transparent except for the potential issue noted by the OP.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Did you try CanOpener? It seems pretty transparent except for the potential issue noted by the OP.

I did. afair it is only what I call "advanced panning". Dou you hear a stage in front of you with it? like as if there were speakers?
actualy it has been a while. I only remember that I tried it

Last edited:

Theriverlethe

I did. afair it is only what I call "advanced panning". Dou you hear a stage in front of you with it? like as if there were speakers?
actualy it has been a while. I only remember that I tried it

It's shifted forward a bit, especially at the sides, but I wouldn't say it sounds like speakers. I don't hear it with your video, either.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
It's shifted forward a bit, especially at the sides, but I wouldn't say it sounds like speakers. I don't hear it with your video, either.
have you compared with the normal version?
also try to imagine there are speakers in front of you

but it is possible we are hearing diferent things if the distance between our ears differs a lot.
also as I said it's a big angle I chose. Instead of 45 degrees I went with 55 afair

this one I processed with Abbey Roads:

the same song with my tweeked filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXVMAu5Fn6M

the same song with original WDR IRs (here 45 degrees afair). this should be clearly in the front cause it has a lot of room sound in it (and 45 degrees angle) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1C08_IhsTo

Theriverlethe

have you compared with the normal version?
also try to imagine there are speakers in front of you

but it is possible we are hearing diferent things if the distance between our ears differs a lot.
also as I said it's a big angle I chose. Instead of 45 degrees I went with 55 afair

this one I processed with Abbey Roads:

the same song with my tweeked filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXVMAu5Fn6M

the same song with original WDR IRs (here 45 degrees afair). this should be clearly in the front cause it has a lot of room sound in it (and 45 degrees angle) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1C08_IhsTo

I like your filter better than Waves, but none of these make me think I'm listening to speakers. I think I prefer CanOpener.

Top Bottom