• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Correction & Spatialization

Theriverlethe

Has anyone gotten these VST’s to work with EqualizerAPO? CanOpener does nothing on my setup even when activated and Redline Monitor always crashes EqualizerAPO’s control program.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone gotten these VST’s to work with EqualizerAPO? CanOpener does nothing on my setup even when activated and Redline Monitor always crashes EqualizerAPO’s control program.

Had exactly the same experience unfortunately, which is why I switched to Ableton in the end.

Theriverlethe

Had exactly the same experience unfortunately, which is why I switched to Ableton in the end.

Does Ableton work with all audio, or only audio played through the software? I believe Jriver Media Center has a virtual sound card and VST support.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Ableton work with all audio, or only audio played through the software? I believe Jriver Media Center has a virtual sound card and VST support.

You can route all audio through it using something like Virtual Cable.

Perhaps JRiver Media Centre would be a better way to go about it though, as Ableton is system-intensive. The main reason I'm using Ableton is because it's very stable and I have it already anyway.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Works for me. I've created a VSTPlugins folder inside the EqualizerAPO folder and I'm copying any plugin I want to use with EqAPO there. Also be aware, must use 64bit plugins, 32bit doesn't work.

Theriverlethe

Works for me. I've created a VSTPlugins folder inside the EqualizerAPO folder and I'm copying any plugin I want to use with EqAPO there. Also be aware, must use 64bit plugins, 32bit doesn't work.

I’m aware of the limitation, though Equalizer APO will simply refuse to load a 32-bit VST. I don’t think there’s VST3 support, either. Which of these did you get to work?

Theriverlethe

You can route all audio through it using something like Virtual Cable.

Perhaps JRiver Media Centre would be a better way to go about it though, as Ableton is system-intensive. The main reason I'm using Ableton is because it's very stable and I have it already anyway.

It looks like Jriver has built in PEQ and crossfeed that can be applied to the virtual sound card. Depending on quality of the crossfeed implementation, it may not be necessary to use a VST.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like Jriver has built in PEQ and crossfeed that can be applied to the virtual sound card. Depending on quality of the crossfeed implementation, it may not be necessary to use a VST.

That's true, although if my experiment is anything to go by, there are wide variations between different crossfeed plugins. Given the inbuilt one in Jriver is not their primary product, perhaps it isn't the best available (ofc I'm not sure though)...

Does Jriver let you plug a VST into the virtual sound card?

I know other ppl use Reaper to do this FWIW.

Theriverlethe

That's true, although if my experiment is anything to go by, there are wide variations between different crossfeed plugins. Given the inbuilt one in Jriver is not their primary product, perhaps it isn't the best available (ofc I'm not sure though)...

Does Jriver let you plug a VST into the virtual sound card?

I know other ppl use Reaper to do this FWIW.

All processing through their “DSP Studio” runs on the virtual sound card. They probably don’t have the best or most flexible crossfeed implementation. Which other VST’s did you evaluate?

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All processing through their “DSP Studio” runs on the virtual sound card. They probably don’t have the best or most flexible crossfeed implementation. Which other VST’s did you evaluate?

Just the two in the OP in depth so far... I also had a quick listen to this and this.

Re: the virtual sound card in Jriver, I actually realise now that I may not understand what it is exactly. I had imagined that it is essentially a way to route system audio through Jriver so that you can run everything through Jriver's processing. Is that right? And if so, does that include the ability to plug VSTs into the chain (much like I'm doing with Ableton)?

Theriverlethe

Just the two in the OP in depth so far... I also had a quick listen to this and this.

Re: the virtual sound card in Jriver, I actually realise now that I may not understand what it is exactly. I had imagined that it is essentially a way to route system audio through Jriver so that you can run everything through Jriver's processing. Is that right? And if so, does that include the ability to plug VSTs into the chain (much like I'm doing with Ableton)?

Yes, it basically creates a fake sound card in Windows that you can select as default audio output. All processing through Jriver, including VST, gets passed to your real audio device selected in Jriver.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it basically creates a fake sound card in Windows that you can select as default audio output. All processing through Jriver, including VST, gets passed to your real audio device selected in Jriver.

Sounds like a better option than Ableton Live, which does exactly the same thing with Virtual Cable, but uses a lot of processing power, presumably because it's designed primarily for live electronic music performance.

Theriverlethe

Sounds like a better option than Ableton Live, which does exactly the same thing with Virtual Cable, but uses a lot of processing power, presumably because it's designed primarily for live electronic music performance.

Possibly... I haven’t used Jriver in years, but maybe I can still get an upgrade discount. I have no idea what kind of latency or CPU usage it has.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly... I haven’t used Jriver in years, but maybe I can still get an upgrade discount. I have no idea what kind of latency or CPU usage it has.

Same here, actually. I had a version of it maybe ten years ago, haven't used it in yonks. It was not processor intensive at all back then, though.

Theriverlethe

Same here, actually. I had a version of it maybe ten years ago, haven't used it in yonks. It was not processor intensive at all back then, though.

I had to install a new trial version since my licensed version doesn't support 64-bit VST. After activating the WDM driver and messing with buffers, I think I got a pretty good results with CanOpener. Qobuz is feeding the Jriver driver with WASAPI exclusive mode. CanOpener seems to create a decent out-of-head effect without destroying tonality too much. I'm using these settings with my HE4XX after PEQ for the 2018 over-ear Harman curve:

1589846559368.png

(Note: Soft Start Time must be disabled or Jriver garbles the audio.)

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to install a new trial version since my licensed version doesn't support 64-bit VST. After activating the WDM driver and messing with buffers, I think I got a pretty good results with CanOpener. Qobuz is feeding the Jriver driver with WASAPI exclusive mode. CanOpener seems to create a decent out-of-head effect without destroying tonality too much. I'm using these settings with my HE4XX after PEQ for the 2018 over-ear Harman curve:

View attachment 64297

(Note: Soft Start Time must be disabled or Jriver garbles the audio.)

Good to hear :) You may want to try applying the additional EQ curve I posted in the OP to compensate for the slight tonality shift caused by Can Opener. It definitely seemed to help for me.

Theriverlethe

Good to hear :) You may want to try applying the additional EQ curve I posted in the OP to compensate for the slight tonality shift caused by Can Opener. It definitely seemed to help for me.

Can you post the actual values for the filters? Usually people comment on a slight bass emphasis with this plugin, which is pretty normal for crossfeed. I’d be interested to hear some feedback from Goodhertz on this.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you post the actual values for the filters? Usually people comment on a slight bass emphasis with this plugin, which is pretty normal for crossfeed. I’d be interested to hear some feedback from Goodhertz on this.

Sure, sorry, I hadn't realised I hadn't posted the actual values.

For "amount" = 100%, "angle" = 60°, the values are:

1589849521268.png

Or if you prefer a different setting, tell me what it is and I can work out the values for that.

Top Bottom