• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Choices for Topping A90 Discrete

kenexcelon

Hey everyone, my first post other than my intro. I think after taking some time to read many reviews, I have settled on my first stack/combo to be the Topping A90 Discrete with matching DAC (LE or SE). I liked that the amp has a better volume control. This will primarily be used with my computer, so I am inquiring as to what options I may have for EQ. Additionally, what would be a few good choices to pair with this Topping stack? I do want to ensure comfort as my ears do protrude more than most so good padding is a must and would like to stay around a $500 price point. I'm also willing to go somewhat over. I realize it is hard to recommend headphones for people so I am just looking for options, and I will narrow down the choices and order one from a store with a good return policy. I do listen to various genres of music with rock probably being what I listen to most. If I were to describe what I would look for to start with, would be a headphone with a fun sound signature as I do think that would probably pair well with a really clean amp. My hearing is more sensitive to high frequencies if that also helps.

Thanks!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think there is a limited nor ideal choice of headphones for the A90.
They can drive just about anything which is the whole point of the A90.

Last edited:

PointyFox

Yeah, it should be good with everything.

Regarding a fun headphone for $500:
For closed backs I'd recommend the E-mu Teak or a used Fostex TH900 for a little more.
For open backs I'd recommend the Hifiman He6se v2.

staticV3

Master Contributor
This will primarily be used with my computer, so I am inquiring as to what options I may have for EQ.
Equalizer Apo on Windows, Soundsource or eqmac on macOS.

Additionally, what would be a few good choices to pair with this Topping stack?would like to stay around a $500 price point.
I'll nominate the Aeon Closed X, Aeon RT Closed, and the Hifiman Edition XS

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd think about the Hifiman Ananda open box direct from Hifiman to keep in budget, though used can be found for $500. They have large cups and sound great for their price range. They're well rounded with a large passive sound stage. I've had a couple of them and fun each time.

OP
K

kenexcelon

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! I pulled the trigger on the Aeon RT closed and from what I read, I will likely need to get some aftermarket pads down the road. I'm sure over time I will add to the collection including some nicer IEMs. The E-MU Teak and HIFIMANs do seem interesting as well.

tarikuz

I'm happy with my headphones, all of them sound with a rich and full sound:

Open:

- hifiman arya stealth
- Hifiman Sundara

Closed

- Sennheiser HD820
- Focal Elegia

Broken Arrow

Anyone paired the A90D with Hifiman HE1000v2? will be great if you can share your impressions.

Top Bottom