• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

headphone cables, what's important and what's not.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
LInky to the seller perhaps ?

J77

Question on headphone cables regarding the brand Ursine. They have a new “system” called premium-sleeved-single-strand-system, here is the link https://squareup.com/store/ursine-a...d-single-strand-system?square_lead=item_embed the cable is two parts(amp termination up to y and then y to headphones) and connects with I believe a mini-4pin xlr, what are your thoughts on This cable? It seems like it would make it where you buy one system for whichever headphone then for the rest of your headphones you just buy the y split to headphones and connect to the cable. Would there be a downside to this system?

Veri

Master Contributor
Question on headphone cables regarding the brand Ursine. They have a new “system” called premium-sleeved-single-strand-system, here is the link https://squareup.com/store/ursine-a...d-single-strand-system?square_lead=item_embed the cable is two parts(amp termination up to y and then y to headphones) and connects with I believe a mini-4pin xlr, what are your thoughts on This cable? It seems like it would make it where you buy one system for whichever headphone then for the rest of your headphones you just buy the y split to headphones and connect to the cable. Would there be a downside to this system?
Pretty cool idea honestly.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Cool idea a modular cable.
The price for the total cable + shipping (adds $ 40.-) is kind of on the high side for my preference but certainly not 'high-end' priced.
The cable itself is cloth covered which means it is probably more microphonic when rubbing against clothes and the cable looks a bit thick/heavy/stiff.
Most people looking for a cable replacement often look for these properties thinking it must sound better.

Veri

Master Contributor
Cool idea a modular cable.
The price for the total cable + shipping (adds $ 40.-) is kind of on the high side for my preference but certainly not 'high-end' priced.
The cable itself is cloth covered which means it is probably more microphonic when rubbing against clothes and the cable looks a bit thick/heavy/stiff.
Most people looking for a cable replacement often look for these properties thinking it must sound better.
I mailed with the Ursine guy before and he told me his premium clothed sleeve is ultra-soft/flexible and should be minimally microphonic. I actually have the non-modular version on the way but I haven't had an update on the tracking in weeks (Intl shipping). might be lost in mail really :(

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For headphones cables, you'll probably have to use subjective factors as objective ones for swapping them are not very convincing.

However, I do like Junkosha cables over Litz cables for IEMs, purely because of how they sound to me.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I mailed with the Ursine guy before and he told me his premium clothed sleeve is ultra-soft/flexible and should be minimally microphonic. I actually have the non-modular version on the way but I haven't had an update on the tracking in weeks (Intl shipping). might be lost in mail really :(

Lets hope it turns up. Have had some packages lost in the mail as well as some that took months but arrived.
Sometimes they turn up a few days after I filed a complaint.

Let us know how the cable is (quality wise) I still think its a lot of money for some copper wires and 4 or 5 plugs.

Voo

I am always breaking my headphone cables and my diy skills are zero to fix. so number one criteria for me is something durable and flexible/comfortable to use. I have periapt, ursine, luna, artic cable dude on ebay, lqi on ebay, sennheiser, focal, oyaide, jeez I have alot of cables...

Veri

Master Contributor
Lets hope it turns up. Have had some packages lost in the mail as well as some that took months but arrived.
Sometimes they turn up a few days after I filed a complaint.

Let us know how the cable is (quality wise) I still think its a lot of money for some copper wires and 4 or 5 plugs.
It arrived today! Cable is his "premium sleeved" one, in my case for AKG termination. I opted for eidolic connectors. Cable is very very soft and sleek, oozes premium quality.

Unfortunately it is a little microphonic but as long as you don't move the cable around constantly it's pretty much a non-issue.
Clipboard01.jpg

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having trouble finding a balanced headphone extension cable (4-pin XLR M/F) that's not too long. I want 6' to 10'. So I'm going to buy some cable and connectors and build it myself. (Unless you have a good suggestion.)

A few questions for the experts:

- Will Star Quad make any difference v. regular Canare or Mogami ?
- I can buy this one at $0.59/ft https://www.markertek.com/product/l...-star-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot-black or Audioblast HQ-4 for a whole $0.41/ft more. So cost isn't a factor but is there any possible quality difference?
- I'll probably buy these connectors (M & F): https://www.markertek.com/product/n...emale-xlr-cable-end-black-shell-gold-contacts Any tips on soldering or other assembly issues to be aware of?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm having trouble finding a balanced headphone extension cable (4-pin XLR M/F) that's not too long. I want 6' to 10'. So I'm going to buy some cable and connectors and build it myself. (Unless you have a good suggestion.)

A few questions for the experts:

- Will Star Quad make any difference v. regular Canare or Mogami ?
- I can buy this one at $0.59/ft https://www.markertek.com/product/l...-star-quad-microphone-cable-by-the-foot-black or Audioblast HQ-4 for a whole $0.41/ft more. So cost isn't a factor but is there any possible quality difference?
- I'll probably buy these connectors (M & F): https://www.markertek.com/product/n...emale-xlr-cable-end-black-shell-gold-contacts Any tips on soldering or other assembly issues to be aware of?

Depending on the headphone impedance I suggest to look for cable resistance (thickness of the wires)
The Neutriks are more than fine, there is plenty of room to solder in those plugs.
The Canare works fine as well.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The headphone cable outer shell material can make a nasty rattle when it rubs on a shirt while listening. I replaced my Focal Elegia cable just because of this.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Stiff and sleeved and braided headphone cables have a tendency to do that.
The above, appropriate length and weight are reasons for me to look for a thin and supple as well as smooth replacement.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending on the headphone impedance I suggest to look for cable resistance (thickness of the wires)
The Neutriks are more than fine, there is plenty of room to solder in those plugs.
The Canare works fine as well.
My headphones are 110 ohm, flat WRT FR. So, if I understand correctly, 10 feet of Star Quad will add 0.3 ohms and has a completely flat FR itself.

I can't find any specs on microphonics, but since it's advertised as microphone cable I'm assuming that issue is handled. Is that reasonable?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Microphonics are more of a problem of the mechanical coupling of the connector and the cup.
The smoother and lighter the cable is the less rubbing sounds are 'conducted' towards the cups.

Since it is an extension cord microphonics are likely not a concern, weight could be.
The cable is 6mm in diameter so standard microphone cable thickness.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Yes I agree that if you measure the cable's impedance vs. frequency, or resistance and capacitance, it should tell the full story whether it's transparent. Then you have the quality of the connectors and cable covers that may or may not be microphonic.

For practical advice: Blue Jeans Cable in Seattle! When I needed to replace the OEM cable for my LCD-2F headphones (it wore thin making intermittent connection), Audeze wanted $150 for a replacement. Since it wasn't the most robust cable to begin with, Blue Jeans built me a custom cable for less than half the price, which was much higher quality and more robustly built. I've used them for other cables, both digital & analog, consistently well engineered and high quality but not "audiophile" prices.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's what I did: I bought 8 feet of Canare Star Quad cable for $4.72 and two Neutrik connectors. Total cost, including tax and shipping: $22.49. Now to brush up on my soldering skills. ;)

Tks

Major Contributor
Stiff and sleeved and braided headphone cables have a tendency to do that.
The above, appropriate length and weight are reasons for me to look for a thin and supple as well as smooth replacement.

This is why I'm dumping a beauty of an XLR cable for a re-terminated stock Sennheiser cable for my HD6XX. I can't believe how bad I missed the microphonics reduction from using the stock cable.

If it's one thing I love about mainstream companies, is they seem to get some aspects so right - you wonder what people in the second hand market are doing trying to sell considering the microphonic nightmare they sometimes are..

Getting rid of the PVC sleeving and shielding seems ridiculous to me now. The microphonics of having a paracord simply fed bare wires that has so much space in the interior of the paracord makes these cables function like stethoscopes.

I really can't get over how bad it is. It only hurts more considering how much I love the look.

glQmrza.jpg

Top Bottom