• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone cable replacements for Sennheiser HD 560s?

PH14

I checked Amazon here in the EU, and it seems Geekria is dominating the replacement cables for most headphones. However, a lot of the negative reviews say the audio quality suffers (less highs and soundstage) with these cables. While one doesn't need liquid gold flowing in platinum pipes, I do have made the experience that some low quality cables do have significant impact on the sound. (bought a 10 EUR short cable for a Focal Eligia, and thought the headphone had broken, very muddy, until I got out the original wooden cables)

Can anyone suggest a good cable for the 560s, or perhaps recommend a good brand that doesn't cost much? Preferably one with a EU presence so I don't have to pay more on shipping and import costs than the cable itself. The original cable isn't bad, but it's way too long, I need my cables 1.2-1.5m. Also, it seems the cables for the other members of the HD500 series don't work - three poles vs four poles on the headphone side.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
eBay is loaded with replacement cables for the HD560s, starting at $10.
It appears to be the same cable that can be used on other Sennheiser headphones, like the HD559, HD569, HD598, HD599.
(I'm not the expert)
Not sure were you read that three (TRS) or four (TRRS) makes a difference, as both should work.
I would guess that TRRS is for when a mic is integrated
Where did you read that the cable for the HD560s is different than the one used on others?

threni

Major Contributor
eBay is loaded with replacement cables for the HD560s, starting at $10.
It appears to be the same cable that can be used on other Sennheiser headphones, like the HD559, HD569, HD598, HD599.
(I'm not the expert)
Not sure were you read that three (TRS) or four (TRRS) makes a difference, as both should work.
I would guess that TRRS is for when a mic is integrated
Where did you read that the cable for the HD560s is different than the one used on others?
I think the s as a sennheiser suffix means balanced, and you sometimes get a choice of balanced or unbalanced leads (at least, I did with my HD 660S). So the TRRS is probably just for when you want a balanced connection, rather than a mic.

DonR

Major Contributor
I think the s as a sennheiser suffix means balanced, and you sometimes get a choice of balanced or unbalanced leads (at least, I did with my HD 660S). So the TRRS is probably just for when you want a balanced connection, rather than a mic.
The 5XX series is unbalanced. The connection inside the headphone is common ground.

I have an Aliexpress cable for my 598SE and it works fine.

threni

Major Contributor
The 5XX series is unbalanced. The connection inside the headphone is common ground.

I have an Aliexpress cable for my 598SE and it works fine.
Yeah, funny. I just googled and only found reference to it meaning balanced on foolish audio sites

b7676

staticV3

Master Contributor
Screenshot 2022-11-30 210037.png
tom.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think the s as a sennheiser suffix means balanced

S does not stand for 'Symmetrisch' (symmetric) it is a designator used by Sennheiser to indicate a new line of drivers.
All the Sennheiser headphones with the locking 2.5mm TRRS connectors in them can be used balanced and SE.
It is a 4-wire cable so in the 3.5mm TRS and TRRS (when the cable includes a mic/remote) connectors the - (common/return wire) are only connected in the connector so not in the headphone cup.

Note: Sennheiser locking 2.5mm TRRS pinning is NOT the same as the 2.5mm TRRS pinning as used on balanced amps.
Sennheiser connector pinning: Tip = L+, Ring1 = R+, Ring2 = L-, sleeve = R-.

filter-in-cup.jpg

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Both locking 2.5mm TRRS and TRS can be used for SE connections on the amp side because of the way Sennheiser wired the plug (R2 and S are both return wires).
Tip = L, Ring = R (like with any 3.5mm plug).
In the headphone itself the Ring 2 (next to the Sleeve) are separated.

Technically, a 4-wire cable (so TRRS in the headphone side) is the better cable.

Yearofthegoat

I bought one at Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P6N8LW3/

In the picture it shows the 2.5mm jack at the earcup end as being a 3 pole, but mine is actually 4 pole, like the original cable. In any case, it's slightly less stiff and a little nicer than the original cable.
That's great to know, thanks. As you say, the pictures for 559/569/599 almost all show a 3-pole 2.5mm earcup end. And no useful description one way or the other!

Top Bottom