• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone and interface for beginner music production

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh I get it now. Thanks for the explanation and the refs.

So I'm thinking that I'll go with the K371's and the Audient ID 4 Mk II, as the output impedance doesn't matter and it looks like it delivers approx 107mW @ 32Ohms (as long as I have the proper USB-C power supply which I'll need to add as I believe the Type A's on my motherboard won't have). And the THD, etc... look pretty good?

Unless there's a strong reason to go for the HUD100, accepting the loss of functionality? (thanks for the suggestion @fieldcar )

Amir measured the old one.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audient-id4-audio-interface-review.10679/

It measures only 35mW @ 33 Ohm despite being rated for around 200mW at 30 ohm by the manufacturer. I would assume it's the same case for the mkii.

Sorry for making it harder. Maybe someone else has a good idea. The schiit hel maybe?

Audient iD4 Audio Interface USB DAC Headphone Amp Power into 33 ohm Audio Measurements.png

OP
J

JoeCool

Amir measured the old one.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audient-id4-audio-interface-review.10679/

It measures only 35mW @ 33 Ohm despite being rated for around 200mW at 30 ohm by the manufacturer. I would assume it's the same case for the mkii.

Sorry for making it harder. Maybe someone else has a good idea. The schiit hel maybe?

View attachment 132324
This review measured the new version and it looks like that was the big change for the mk ii. Measured the new version at 107mW @ 32 Ohm

3125b

Major Contributor
The MKII seems to be fairly good indeed. 23Rout isn't great, but not that high either, it's not gonna make a huge difference with any normal headphone although it might be enough to be noticable with some (not the K371).
Anyway, please note that it can only deliver the full output power if it is connected via USB-C.

OP
J

JoeCool

That looks great. @JoeCool !

Let us know how it goes when you get it! Also, what DAW are you using?
Thanks will do. And I'm using Studio One (just to be different I guess). Slightly annoying as I find every tutorial using Ableton but oh well

OP
J

JoeCool

The MKII seems to be fairly good indeed. 23Rout isn't great, but not that high either, it's not gonna make a huge difference with any normal headphone although it might be enough to be noticable with some (not the K371).
Anyway, please note that it can only deliver the full output power if it is connected via USB-C.
Apparently the 3.2 Gen 2 Type A's on my motherboard should meet the power requirement. We'll see. If not I'll get a PCI USB Type C card that's rated high enough.

3125b

Major Contributor
They should support the power delivery standard, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating :)
It's a good choice regardless, there is just no other comparable option in that price category (at least not that I'm aware of).

OP
J

JoeCool

I got the headphones and interface. They sound great. Generally everything's sounds really good out of the box but in some psytrance I was listening to, the leads were getting a little lost. I quickly imported into Studio One and put in Amir's EQ settings and that has sorted that problem out. All in all a massive improvement over my previous setup so thanks to everyone that helped out.

I haven't had my motherboard long and the 3.2 Gen 2 Ports have a driver problem. Plus, all of my C to A cables appear to not have the extra pins on the Type A end. (I don't really get that as they are all for charging and I would have thought that limits the current). So anyway, I plugged into one of the other ports but its still plenty loud enough. At some point I'll get a PCI Type C card but all is good till then.

The Audient registration has a bug in the software, and on the website so the links weren't working (at least in Chrome). I'll try in Edge and see if that fixes the problem. Plus the download link in the manual is wrong. So I few errors but the product seems to work great.

Top Bottom