• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone and IEM killer tracks

markanini

Major Contributor
Two tracks I know, big label releases, stand out for consistently sounding OK on speakers, but are challenging to listen to on many headphones and IEMs, but not all. If you want to, take a listen on your favorite headphones or IEMs. Or suggest tracks that similarly challenge IEMs and headphones if you have found one.

Slayer - Snuff [Genre:Trash Metal]

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way [Genre:Alternative Rock]

OP
M

markanini

Major Contributor
This one is very susceptible to different IEMs and eq changes but sounds good on speakers.

Yeah, it's got that dense upper-mid and treble energy. On top of that some rumbling bass. It will test the tuning quality for sure.

LearningToSmile

I don't know, I think it's more of a tuning thing than really IEM/headphone thing. I've tried all the three tracks with two sets of IEMs and one pair of headphones and it's broadly fine(don't get me wrong, I still prefer my speakers but I prefer my speakers for vast majority of music). But I bet if I got my Tin T4s out of storage, with their bass light presentation, something might be missing.

For me the only track that comes to mind that suffers from anything other than speakers is Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge over Troubled Water. Even when it sounds fine and technically correct, it doesn't have the same emotional impact as when played at good volume over speakers.

isostasy

Depends, are we talking doesn't sound as good or actually not enjoyable to listen to?

The cymbals in Rose Rouge by St. Germain never sound correct on any headphones or IEMs I've ever tried. Listen on a good pair of speakers and you can hear distinct alternating quarter-note hits on the ride cymbal. On headphones you just get a general impression of the cymbals being played. I still find it enjoyable to listen to on headphones through.

James Blake has some songs which will produce almighty farts if you boost bass too much, such as this:

The only songs I can't stand listening to on headphones are any with hard panning, like a lot of early Beatles for example. Some Neil Young as well, some jazz like a few Coltrane and Mingus tracks.

I really don't like listening to this Django Reinhardt album on headphones, but not sure why. I don't think it's a panning issue:

I guess some stuff is just especially fatiguing if it's already quite aggressive anyway. I love The Dillinger Escape Plan but I struggle to get through a whole album over headphones.

OP
M

markanini

Major Contributor
Depends, are we talking doesn't sound as good or actually not enjoyable to listen to?
I think the modern songs you present are good examples, even if the trumpet is pushing it on Rose Rogue. Dillinger Escape Plan actually sounds like it was not mixed correctly, honestly.

Spyart

The cymbals in Rose Rouge by St. Germain never sound correct on any headphones or IEMs I've ever tried. Listen on a good pair of speakers and you can hear distinct alternating quarter-note hits on the ride cymbal. On headphones you just get a general impression of the cymbals being played. I still find it enjoyable to listen to on headphones through.

James Blake has some songs which will produce almighty farts if you boost bass too much, such as this:

The only songs I can't stand listening to on headphones are any with hard panning, like a lot of early Beatles for example. Some Neil Young as well, some jazz like a few Coltrane and Mingus tracks.

I really don't like listening to this Django Reinhardt album on headphones, but not sure why. I don't think it's a panning issue:

I guess some stuff is just especially fatiguing if it's already quite aggressive anyway. I love The Dillinger Escape Plan but I struggle to get through a whole album over headphones.
Thanks, both songs sound crazy good on sehhneiser 650 with Canopener crossfeed and some eq (I generally low 1-3 khz, too shouty for me). And that's cymbals accents on the first track is pretty much here and on the second one that low punchy subs of course here and feeling as needed I suppose ;-)

OP
M

markanini

Major Contributor
I've found this one useful for gauging muddiness vs. transparency, it should be warm and bassy but clear enough on the drums and vocals.

Moonhead

Some Muddy...

Top Bottom