• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone and AMP/DAC recommendations

navin

Budget: MAX $1000 for everything
Requirement: Compact Desktop AMP/DAC (one box) + Headphones

I figured: $400 for the amp and $600 for the headphones but it might be an even split too ($500 each).

AMP/DAC: ASGARD with Multibit DAC, OR Topping DX7 Pro (a bit expensive at $650) OR JDS ELEMENT II OR iFi xDSD (don't need the portability) OR please suggest

Headphones: Beyer Dynamic 1990 Pro from Amazon, OR DROP/Dan Clark AEON Open X, OR MASSDROP/FOCAL ELEX OR please suggest

I am currently leaning toward the AEON Open X $499 and Schitt Asgard (with Multibit DAC) $449.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

P.S.
Current AMP/DACs: K5 Pro, Aune T1S, iFi Zen Can, Aune X1S Pro (with X5s and XP2), and iFi Hip DAC (older blue one).
Current Headphones: AKG 712 Pro (2), Beyer DT 880 Pro (2), Hifiman Sundara (2), and Audeze something (forgot the model but it was around $300 when I got it).
I have 2 setups in 2 offices and 2 at home (living room and bedroom).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any suggestions?
Yes: forget about Multibit.

Then, you don't need DX7 Pro since cheaper EX5 is better. DAC/Amp is really the least of your problems nowadays.

I see nothing wrong if you want to try new headphones, tho. Then, you could refer to measurements from either ASR or DIY Audio Heaven for each

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forgot to mention: for the phones, I see you have no Sennheisers currently. Maybe try the HD600 or HD650?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you take advantage of 11/11, you can buy D30pro and A30pro with a nice discount and that's a end game stack. I know because I have them.

Lpd2

DX7Pro and Elex could be epic. I think last year the Elex went down to about $400 for the holidays.

Top Bottom