• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amplfiiers from China that measure well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobeFrankaudio

I've heard/owned the following:

Sabaj A10h
Topping L30
Topping A90
Various headphone dongles from https://shenzhenaudio.com/
With different source components - CD players, DACs etc.

One thing that I noticed was each of these headphone amplifiers have a sound signature of their own. Either midrange forward, treble forward, slightly recessed in the bass, or all the above.

After visiting a few high-end audio shops and experiencing different headphone amplifiers, integrated amplifiers (headphone out) with the same source components/+identical cables, I noticed quite a few differences in terms of sound quality. The high-end stuff was really good! For example, dCS, Luxman, Accuphase etc. I'm not trying to endorse any of these brands. Live recordings actually had a certain kind of "presence" and it made me believe I was there in person. The music was all around me. Everything just sounded "real" it's hard to explain. And no, I couldn't hear any noise, hum, or distortion (even at max volume with no input signal playing).

In comparison, the headphone amplifiers from China that I listed above sounded dry, sterile, clean, but artificial overall. It has been said that the best digital sounds like analog...because we are more closely replicating the original analog waveform. There were random passages of warmth, clean treble, and a vocals that made me think I was hearing a recording console.

I don't think colorization to the sound were present by intentional design. The challenge for naysayers would be to find any internal circuitry that intentionally changes frequency response (not a tone control!) within a high-end audio component (CD player, amplifier etc.) and believe me, there's nothing like that which exists. That would be an additional cost-add on, so bad idea for profits. At the same time, songs that had sharp snares were inherently bright-sounding with quick or moderate decays as demanded by the source component. So impressive!!

Let's just say I listened to Grados, a bunch of Focal headphones, AKG studio headphones (K872), and Audeze. I don't want to argue about headphone preferences.

Testing method
- use 1 set of headphones at a time
- listen to it with the same headphone amp/source component
- take notes regarding what I liked or didn't like
- repeat and confirm my conclusions with a second listening test a day after
- test multiple headphones (with the same assembled rigs)
- ask a friend to take the same test (we agreed 100%)

Some of you may disagree, but I think measurements are not the end-all / be all. I'm just trying to have an honest discussion here.

- Volume levels were matched as close as we could get them.
- Blind testing wasn't necessary because the environment was neutral.
- I believe that you need to trust your ears when buying audio gear.
- I recommend visiting an audio shop and listening to audio gear.

in closing,

If this audio gear from China is so good, why aren't professional studios in Hollywood, Tollywood, Nollywood, and even Bollywood using them? The world-wide entertainment and radio industry should be quickly adapting to save money and buy Chi-Fi, but they’re not.

Why are they using speakers from PMC, TAD, or ATC? Can’t we get better measured performance for less money? (According to ASR)

Chinese brands are churning out these units for pennies on the dollar and then selling them for a hundred or more. Sounds about right? You know that just by looking at internal components and checking a price list for parts online. Do the math x parts by unit cost at bulk pricing. The latest DAC chips and OP amps, a mainboard with a bunch of resisters and other parts and there we go, we have a unit that measures well.

According to Audio Science Review, everything that measures well (DACs, headphones, speakers, cables) is without fault. But remember...that audio precision analyzer or any measurement system was designed by humans...who may have had electrical engineering design preferences. Even standardized testing like EQ and IQ are not absolute indicators of life/career/academic success. Let's have an open mind folks....

- Frank

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the answers to your questions have been well covered on the site. In short linearity is what is sought in electronics-best indicated by low distortion and noise. If you think that there are other signal characteristics that ought to be attended to you are free to name them of course, but be prepared to demonstrate that they would be of audible concern.

OP
T

tobeFrankaudio

Here, I'll save folks the effort of reading this.
Well it was myself and a friend who visited the audio shop. The salesman was happy to let us listen to systems for a few hours in total. Went back the next day, no problem!

When I say the environment was neutral - it was not something like a head-fi meet (preconceived beliefs about sound quality), we went in with no bias whatsoever. We just listened to different systems and took notes afterwards with an open mind.

Kind of like testing driving a car! Haven't you ever done that?!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I've heard/owned the following:

Sabaj A10h
Topping L30
Topping A90
Various headphone dongles from https://shenzhenaudio.com/
With different source components - CD players, DACs etc.

One thing that I noticed was each of these headphone amplifiers have a sound signature of their own. Either midrange forward, treble forward, slightly recessed in the bass, or all the above.

After visiting a few high-end audio shops and experiencing different headphone amplifiers, integrated amplifiers (headphone out) with the same source components/+identical cables, I noticed quite a few differences in terms of sound quality. The high-end stuff was really good! For example, dCS, Luxman, Accuphase etc. I'm not trying to endorse any of these brands. Live recordings actually had a certain kind of "presence" and it made me believe I was there in person. The music was all around me. Everything just sounded "real" it's hard to explain. And no, I couldn't hear any noise, hum, or distortion (even at max volume with no input signal playing).

In comparison, the headphone amplifiers from China that I listed above sounded dry, sterile, clean, but artificial overall. It has been said that the best digital sounds like analog...because we are more closely replicating the original analog waveform. There were random passages of warmth, clean treble, and a vocals that made me think I was hearing a recording console.

I don't think colorization to the sound were present by intentional design. The challenge for naysayers would be to find any internal circuitry that intentionally changes frequency response (not a tone control!) within a high-end audio component (CD player, amplifier etc.) and believe me, there's nothing like that which exists. That would be an additional cost-add on, so bad idea for profits. At the same time, songs that had sharp snares were inherently bright-sounding with quick or moderate decays as demanded by the source component. So impressive!!

Let's just say I listened to Grados, a bunch of Focal headphones, AKG studio headphones (K872), and Audeze. I don't want to argue about headphone preferences.

Testing method
- use 1 set of headphones at a time
- listen to it with the same headphone amp/source component
- take notes regarding what I liked or didn't like
- repeat and confirm my conclusions with a second listening test a day after
- test multiple headphones (with the same assembled rigs)
- ask a friend to take the same test (we agreed 100%)

Some of you may disagree, but I think measurements are not the end-all / be all. I'm just trying to have an honest discussion here.

- Volume levels were matched as close as we could get them.
- Blind testing wasn't necessary because the environment was neutral.
- I believe that you need to trust your ears when buying audio gear.
- I recommend visiting an audio shop and listening to audio gear.

in closing,

If this audio gear from China is so good, why aren't professional studios in Hollywood, Tollywood, Nollywood, and even Bollywood using them? The world-wide entertainment and radio industry should be quickly adapting to save money and buy Chi-Fi, but they’re not.

Why are they using speakers from PMC, TAD, or ATC? Can’t we get better measured performance for less money? (According to ASR)

Chinese brands are churning out these units for pennies on the dollar and then selling them for a hundred or more. Sounds about right? You know that just by looking at internal components and checking a price list for parts online. Do the math x parts by unit cost at bulk pricing. The latest DAC chips and OP amps, a mainboard with a bunch of resisters and other parts and there we go, we have a unit that measures well.

According to Audio Science Review, everything that measures well (DACs, headphones, speakers, cables) is without fault. But remember...that audio precision analyzer or any measurement system was designed by humans...who may have had electrical engineering design preferences. Even standardized testing like EQ and IQ are not absolute indicators of life/career/academic success. Let's have an open mind folks....

- Frank
Please help me understand the connection between the post you wrote and the title of the thread? Right now it seems a little click bait ish to me or China Bashing maybe because that is the only Country you singled out?

OP
T

tobeFrankaudio

I think the answers to your questions have been well covered on the site. In short linearity is what is sought in electronics-best indicated by low distortion and noise. If you think that there are other signal characteristics that ought to be attended to you are free to name them of course, but be prepared to demonstrate that they would be of audible concern.
Okay, but then why do audio components sound different with the same source material and the same headphones?

Because they are different. Look inside.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
3,,,,2,,,,,1……if you’re looking to Troll ASR, you’re going to have to raise the bar a bit. I tried to play along, but even I couldn’t do it. Thread closed for half a dozen reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom