• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp

Xacav:

Hello, fellow audio lovers. I am very new to this and I just bought a pair of Massdrop Hd 6xx headphones, and I know I have to pair them to get the best out of them. I have a little bit over 100 dollars left to buy an amp. I can only get one what would you recommend.

3125b

Major Contributor
I'm assuming you are looking for something for desktop use?
If you go with the low-ish output from your mainbaord or a 9$ Apple Dongle as a DAC (expect about 1Vrms from either), the Schiit Magni Heresy is hard to beat because of its 6x high gain if you want a good amount of power for EQing or so.
If you can do with a little less, the JDS Labs Atom is of course still a great choice.
The Topping L30 perform very well too, however it could really use a proper 2Vrms input (at least).
The HD 6XX aren't terribly hard to drive, for normal listening levels all these would be fine. If you get some hard to drive headphones in the future, the higher gain would be more important. Or you couldbuy a DAC with a higher output level, but don't expect any audible improvements over something like the already transparent Apple Dongle.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have a little bit over 100 dollars left to buy an amp. I can only get one what would you recommend.
Schiit Heresy, Magni 3+, Topping L30, JDS labs Atom, O2, Monoprice liguid spark, Fiio K5, Topping NX3, Topping A30.
Pick any of them based on looks and functionality.

OP
X

Xacav:

I'm assuming you are looking for something for desktop use?
If you go with the low-ish output from your mainbaord or a 9$ Apple Dongle as a DAC (expect about 1Vrms from either), the Schiit Magni Heresy is hard to beat because of its 6x high gain if you want a good amount of power for EQing or so.
If you can do with a little less, the JDS Labs Atom is of course still a great choice.
The Topping L30 perform very well too, however it could really use a proper 2Vrms input (at least).
The HD 6XX aren't terribly hard to drive, for normal listening levels all these would be fine. If you get some hard to drive headphones in the future, the higher gain would be more important. Or you couldbuy a DAC with a higher output level, but don't expect any audible improvements over something like the already transparent Apple Dongle.
Are you saying the Apple dongle is good enough to be a dac or I don’t need an amplifier if I already have the dongle?

OP
X

Xacav:

Schiit Heresy, Magni 3+, Topping L30, JDS labs Atom, O2, Monoprice liguid spark, Fiio K5, Topping NX3, Topping A30.
I appreciate the response thank you

3125b

Major Contributor
Are you saying the Apple dongle is good enough to be a dac
That. It won't really be able to drive the HD 600 to impressive levels.
As a DAC however, it would be a step up from your mainboards onboard solution, for the price it's definitely worth it.

Iglo

Forum Donor
The dongle is definitely value for money. I have used it extensively while waiting for my Topping E30/L30 combo with the HD660s (which is easier to drive than the HD6xx but I expect that you still will have enough power for normal listening levels).

There is nothing wrong with just trying the dongle (with a simple USB-C to USB-A adapter if needed) and see if you need more power.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Geshelli Archel 2 also available for $150 ($140 at the moment).

mikeburns

I recommend an E1DA Powerdac v2. It is a dac and headphone amplifier built in to a small form shape that plugs directly into USB and is superb value. You will need to get a balanced cable for your HDs that goes to 2.5mm 4 pole connector as the powerdac only works balanced. Both can be purchased from Ali Express and drive my HD6xx to awesome levels. I am not thinking about upgrading from here it is that good. The powerdac also gives you a really impressive EQ with settings specifically for the 6XX (along with pretty much every set of headphones) that gets them to bang on the Harman target curve, improving their response markedly. Although you can run them stock I have not gone back after hearing them with this eq setting. All of this controlled from a cool mobile app that uses bluetooth to talk to and make setting changes on the powerdac. The dac itself has been reviewed very favourable here at ASR.

This is the cable I purchased but there are much cheaper options that will work just as well just make sure you turn your cable into a balanced one as the powerdac only works with a balanced set up: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32875385234.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.47b84c4dNerHGK

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Hello, fellow audio lovers. I am very new to this and I just bought a pair of Massdrop Hd 6xx headphones, and I know I have to pair them to get the best out of them. I have a little bit over 100 dollars left to buy an amp. I can only get one what would you recommend.
Driving my 6xx with a topping l30 and very happy :)

Top Bottom