• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amp you like better than RME ADI-2 DAC's amp?

Have you found a headphone amp you like better than the RME ADI-2 DAC's headphone amp?

• Yes (please specify)

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 75.4%

• Total voters

paudio

Also RME devices are really solid including drivers/software. I always check for broken RME gear to fix but there's almost never any.

They even have a feature to correct for the main encoder wearing.

Personally once I have low distortion, enough power, good crosstalk, low impedance output and I can't hear the noise floor the only thing better is features.

I really think Meier Audio's Corda Country or Corda Soul. Really nice Digital but with front panel controls for notch filter, EQ, crossfeed, reverb, etc.

I really like the idea of being able to physically adjust stuff with without diving through menus

I have RME ADI-2 FS (ESS and AKM 4493). It's great with my headphones when I use Crossfeed (1 or 2). My headphones are Neumann NDH-30.
I have tried the Schitt Midgard headphone amp using the RME as a DAC feeding the Midgard as a headphone amplifier, connected to 1/4 inch plug.
Midgard sounds better compared to RME via the headphone out. About 10% better, especially in the mids and highs.
Balanced all the way through is how I connected it. Just one opinion.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have RME ADI-2 FS (ESS and AKM 4493). It's great with my headphones when I use Crossfeed (1 or 2). My headphones are Neumann NDH-30.
I have tried the Schitt Midgard headphone amp using the RME as a DAC feeding the Midgard as a headphone amplifier, connected to 1/4 inch plug.
Midgard sounds better compared to RME via the headphone out. About 10% better, especially in the mids and highs.
Balanced all the way through is how I connected it. Just one opinion.

I love the Midgard! Incredible sonic performance, measurements and power output for the price! I run fully balanced from my Bifrost 2 DAC powering my modified Sony MDR 7506 headphones with included Hifiman Susvara cable

1703043308019.png

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like dongles way more now, since I have a small desk with big screen and a laptop... Sound wise, any amp gets recommended here will sound the same, and I like EQ APO more than any build in EQ.

paudio

I like dongles way more now, since I have a small desk with big screen and a laptop... Sound wise, any amp gets recommended here will sound the same, and I like EQ APO more than any build in EQ.
I've managed to skip amps almost all together. Equalizer APO has midi functionality now so if you want to map a control surface to EQ or other parameters you can.

ab2215

Might not make any sense at all but i plan to add Mjolnir next to my rme adi-2 fs and take off the valhalla 2. I have a weird and strange way of buying new gear. I always wnated a Class A headphone amp with balanced headphone out and that's all I read about Mjolnir.

Might not make any sense at all but i plan to add Mjolnir next to my rme adi-2 fs and take off the valhalla 2. I have a weird and strange way of buying new gear. I always wnated a Class A headphone amp with balanced headphone out and that's all I read about Mjolnir.
Let us know how that works out. Mjolnir 3 is on my short list. But I've read that Nitsch Pietus Maximus gets you 85% there at much less costs, $499 without the DAC option. If that stands to reason, makes the Pietus a great deal...but it is not balanced. I can go either way as I'm using my RME ADI-2 DAC FS as my DAC via USB. Currently using Midgard as my headphone amp....is Pietus or Mjolnir better? Wish I could demo all this gear prior to purchase.

I’ll echo how nice the Midgard is. The amp in the ADI 2 DAC is very good, and I used it myself when my Ragnarok 2 developed a channel imbalance.

It seems like the Midgard is a bit more spacious and has more impact in the bass, but I’ll admit it could be just placebo effect.

I've been listening to my Midgard via the RME for close to 2 months now. I do run a variety of different settings to try to discern what is better, what is worse using my Neumann NDH-30 headphones.

Here are some opinions I can offer, but just "one" opinion overall.

* Also please note I have a balance cable coming for my headphones and I will be trying the HALO offering on the Midgard soon enough.

1. Bass impact? Nah, if anything RME is the same or better! RME does a better job with my DT990 Pro than the Midgard does (SE output - Floppy with Midgard; nice and tight with RME).

Now back to the Neumann NDH-30.

2. Spacious? Good question. RME was wider with no crossfeed (or it seemed that way); about the same with Crossfeed setting 1 and 2 on the RME.

3. Where I find the Midgard makes things more interesting is in the Mids and high frequencies: smoother, less analytical with treble heavy tracks. Maybe that's where the width comes from? I'd have to listen again!

4. Making use of the PEQ, NOS filter and Crossfeed settings of the RME allows me to get close to the mids and highs offered with the Midgard.
+1 for the RME for it's flexibility to help me tune the sound to my liking.

I find the RME is an outstanding bargain, and this after years of use.
The feature set lets you tune in the sound in a variety of ways that should make it and end game unit for most. It is for me.

I LOVE my RME and the Midgard makes it just a bit better for headphone listening. XLR outputs are fine as they are from the RME to my audio setup to power speakers.

Not a huge investment to get a Midgard, and if you are on a budget, just use the delayed gratification model, get an RME now, enjoy the headphone output and don't forget to use the Crossfeed feature. Get a headlamp at a later time. :)

Just one opinion and YMMV.

asrUser

I had the improved DC protection RME added with the last update kick in just now:
IMG20220208181642.jpg
IMG20220208181757.jpg

That's definitely a plus. In case anyone wants to test it: Joan Baez - Joan Baez (1960) via Apple Music or Spotify
Which song of that album will exactly trigger the DC protection?

3125b

Major Contributor
Which song of that album will exactly trigger the DC protection?
The entire album, but only this version:
1705345735634.png

I just checked, it's not only Apple Music but also Spotify with that version of the album (which might be the original release from 1960?). That album has been re-released maybe 20 times over the last 64 years, all the other versions I could find don't have that DC offset.

asrUser

The entire album, but only this version:
View attachment 342146
I just checked, it's not only Apple Music but also Spotify with that version of the album (which might be the original release from 1960?). That album has been re-released maybe 20 times over the last 64 years, all the other versions I could find don't have that DC offset.
I don't have access to Apple and Spotify, maybe I'll try Youtube. One of those songs got lots of distortion. Did you only get it with USB input? Maybe try other inputs?

IXOYE

I use Violectric V222 with my RME, V222 sound definitely warmer with more body and deeper bass, RME sounds more analytical and digs out more details in the treble, V222 rolls off more in the treble area, what you like is more a matter of taste, I prefer V222.

Top Bottom