• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amp with build-in EQ?

EB1000

Hi

Is there a good headphone amp that includes EQ adjustment?

Thanks

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Following up on this thread - I hope we see more offerings in this category in the future. In the future I plan to get a headphone setup which will be equalized according to David Griesinger's method, which seems to me to be the best method available (you actually get an eq which suits your individual ear):

The RME ADI-2 is excellent, of course, but it only has five eq bands. I'm not sure if that's enough. The minidsp ha-DSP seems very functional, but is it powerful enough? I like to have some extra power available. I'll probably be using the Sennheiser 800S if I come across a second-hand offering.

Given that @amirm has began to popularize the idea of headphone equalization (hats off!), it might be that it will become more common with standalone products who do this.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Checked out the review now. That's actually very, very good performance for that price and that size, particularly with the eq functionality. I think we might have a winner!

Yeah it’s a perfect device for outdoor / daily listening.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it’s a perfect device for outdoor / daily listening.

Yap, seems like it.

I'm still wondering whether it has enough juice for the HD800S. I won't venture to guess, as I've only had high-sensitivity headphones until now.

brachypelma44

Monolith THX 788 is a DAC/amp/EQ in one unit. Regular price is $499.

Monoprice Monolith Desktop Headphone Amplifier and DAC Review.jpg

1 low shelf, 1 high shelf, and 5 PEQ settings. It goes +/-6 db on them.

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi

Thanks
If you are interested specifically in relatively affordable products, I would suggest that you have a look at the MiniDSP IL-DSP and HA-DSP. I suppose these would really be considered DAC/amplifier combinations.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
I'm still wondering whether it has enough juice for the HD800S. I won't venture to guess, as I've only had high-sensitivity headphones until now.
A little bit late I guess:

The Qudelix has more than enough juice for my HD800S when run through the balanced 2.5mm connector. This is a screen capture from my volume tab, running with Amir’s EQ settings applied at very reasonable level, and there’s still headroom. Not very different to my HD6XX. But I understand volume level is a very personal choice.

397F86AE-F57A-4963-BE93-5D449A731212.jpeg

OP
EB1000

EB1000

I'm actually looking for one with analog in and out and not a USB based. Preferably, balanced in/out. I want to hook it up between my pre and power amp via XLR, so when I plug the headphones, the output to the power amp will be muted.

My Marantz receiver has an headphone equalizer (seperate from the floor speaker Audyssey adjustments) - and I am delaying a purchase of a seperate balanced (but not equalized) HP amp as I suspect the difference to be slight but I won't know unless I try.

As I am typing this, it dawned on me that I can equalize the source digitally with JRiver for just the headphones.

Jim T

Hi

Thanks
Schiit has a nice little EQ box for about $100 I believe. Behringer has a graphic EQ box to go with their headphone amp, but not sure about the quality. Both are affordable.

Jim T

Sadly many can't afford RME. I owned a digital card from them back in Win 7 days that was very good.

Top Bottom