• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amp - voltage vs current

Bel Canto

I'm hoping someone can explain this to me in layman's terms.

How would one know if a headphone amp puts out good current to drive a lower impedance headphone. I sort of understand that for higher impedance cans like say a HD650 at 300ohms, lots of voltage is required to create the power to drive them. Looking at the tests, this roughly translates to around a few hundred mw at a guess.

What I'm not sure about is what indicates an amp has good current for something like a Dan Clarke 12 ohm headphone?

Thank you and be gentle on the uninformed

OP
B

Bel Canto

You would have to have measurements like I show. Otherwise you will not know as manufacturer specs are routinely inflated.
Thank you, May I ask which of the measurements would give an indication of current delivery?

Merkurio

Thank you, May I ask which of the measurements would give an indication of current delivery?

Basically, the power delivery at low impedances (50 or 32 ohms in most of Amir’s amplifier reviews).

An amplifier that puts, let’s say, 2 watts at 32 ohms, indicates high current flow at that given load, just like 200 mW at 300 ohms shows you a high voltage delivery.

ohms-law-chart.png

Ohm’s law in a nutshell. :)

Last edited:

Pendel

Divide # watts by # ohms, and then take the square root to find the current (# amps). [For example, 2 watts into 32 ohms corresponds to 1/4 amp of current.]

Multiply # watts by # ohms, and then take the square root to find the voltage (# volts), or alternatively multiply the # amps by the # ohms. [For example, 200 mW (0.2 watts) into 300 ohms corresponds to just under 8 volts.]

:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom