• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone AMP that works with my current setup or overhaul?

SphericalRedundancy

Hey,

I'm looking to add an amp that works with the combo I have at the moment, or completely replace everything if necessary if it will work better. Budget is $500 or less for the new item or complete overhaul.

I have two sources. Source A can be USB or optical and source B is RCA but I'm fine with that getting converted to any other analog.

I have two outputs. Output A is a pair of JBL 305 powered monitors that I'm using with 1/4" to RCA and output B is a pair of Philips SHP9500 headphones which has a removable cable so it can be 3.5" or 1/4".

I currently have a Schiit Modi I use as the DAC for source A optical from my computer, I don't have a DAC for source B but its coming from an HDMI splitter to RCA.

I also have a Schiit Sys which I use to switch between the two sources and have a volume knob.

I would like to figure out how to add an amp for my headphones into this mix, or a complete overhaul, so that I can use either output with either source and not have to unplug a bunch of cables all the time.

Thanks,

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you need a DAC for source B for just want volume control via the new amp?

The other approach is to sell the Schiit devices and purchase an all in one DAC/Amp that can handle all of your inputs.

OP
S

SphericalRedundancy

I don't need a DAC for source B but I would use it if I had one.

I do want volume control from one spot though and I don't mind selling all the Schiit devices if the all in one is actually a better device overall.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For an all in one, I recommend the Monolith THX Desktop DAC/Amp. It has a RCA input along with all the normal digital inputs, and a much better DAC than your Modi. It also has some interesting EQ and Dirac features if you care about that. I have never used nor listened to it, so you should find someone on ASR who has used one. Unfortunately its out of stock until the end of the month according to Monoprice's website.

If you don't want to wait a bit, you need an amp with at least 2 input sources, a pre-amp, and a low output impedance because your cans are 32 ohm impedance. Take a look at the Heaphone Amplifiers tab on the tableau dashboard and filter for your price range:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/

For $500, you are not going to beat the Topping A90. I have one, plenty of ASR folks have one, you can read through the thread about how much we love it. This will require RCA to XLR cables from either Source A or Source B, but those are easy to find. I actually do not know of any head amps off the top of my head with 2 RCA inputs under $500.

OP
S

SphericalRedundancy

For an all in one, I recommend the Monolith THX Desktop DAC/Amp. It has a RCA input along with all the normal digital inputs, and a much better DAC than your Modi. It also has some interesting EQ and Dirac features if you care about that. I have never used nor listened to it, so you should find someone on ASR who has used one. Unfortunately its out of stock until the end of the month according to Monoprice's website.

If you don't want to wait a bit, you need an amp with at least 2 input sources, a pre-amp, and a low output impedance because your cans are 32 ohm impedance. Take a look at the Heaphone Amplifiers tab on the tableau dashboard and filter for your price range:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/

For $500, you are not going to beat the Topping A90. I have one, plenty of ASR folks have one, you can read through the thread about how much we love it. This will require RCA to XLR cables from either Source A or Source B, but those are easy to find. I actually do not know of any head amps off the top of my head with 2 RCA inputs under $500.

The A90 does look nice but I don't have two analog sources, source A can only be optical or USB audio so I'd need a separate DAC to convert that to XLR or RCA, I do see that people recommend pairing the A90 with the D90 and it looks like the perfect pairing but I can't justify spending $1100 when I'm using a $300 pair of speakers and a $75 pair of headphones.

I appreciate the suggestion anyways but I'll have to find another option.

Top Bottom