• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp Only Suggestions (dongle/portable)

rochambeaux

I feel like I've done an exhaustive search but think I'm missing some options...

Are there any other products like the HELM DB12 AAAMP? A small, portable headphone amp only?

Just got my Sony NW-A306 Walkman and I absolutely love everything except the output power is definitely borderline (think it has something to do with EU Nanny State "safety regulations").

The Helm DB12 is great just a bit big/unwieldy, especially considering how small the Sony NW-A306 Walkman is.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like I've done an exhaustive search but think I'm missing some options...

Are there any other products like the HELM DB12 AAAMP? A small, portable USB headphone amp only?

Just got my Sony NW-A306 Walkman and I absolutely love everything except the output power is definitely borderline (think it has something to do with EU Nanny State "safety regulations").

The Helm DB12 is great just a bit big/unwieldy, especially considering how small the Sony NW-A306 Walkman is.
Your request is a little confusing to me. The db12 is a battery powered analog amp (looks like 3.5mm in and out). You're requesting a USB headphone amp. USB implies a digital input, making it a digital to analog device.

Do you mean something that can be powered /charged over USB but still receive and amplify an analog signal? If so, I'm not aware of anything else smaller than the Helm. Above that size you're in the realm of topping nx7 etc.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used to have a Sony X1060 back in the day, and the regional volume limiter could be bypassed by setting the region to Japan and flashing the appropriate firmware, if I remember correctly. It was many years ago. :) Maybe something like that is possible on your model as well?

I use a Hiby FC3, btw. Zero complaints. https://www.hypethesonics.com/hiby-fc3-minihype/

Schermafbeelding 2023-02-14 om 09.26.16.png

Last edited:

toge

truthear shio or a dc04 pro might be right up your alley for a usb dongle dac

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There volume is restricted and there is no high gain mode, and it's not just the EU :(

OP
R

rochambeaux

Thanks for the feedback - I realized I was mixing apples and suspension bridges; so much for late night posting :)

I've updated the title and thread - need a simple analog input amplifier (like the Helm) - everyone is correct that it should not be USB (unless that was for power only).

Thanks!

OP
R

rochambeaux

Your request is a little confusing to me. The db12 is a battery powered analog amp (looks like 3.5mm in and out). You're requesting a USB headphone amp. USB implies a digital input, making it a digital to analog device.

Do you mean something that can be powered /charged over USB but still receive and amplify an analog signal? If so, I'm not aware of anything else smaller than the Helm. Above that size you're in the realm of topping nx7 etc.
You are absolutely correct and I have updated the original post - just looking for an analog amp. The sound quality/signature coming out of the Sony is fine as is.

Top Bottom