• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amp kit for complete novice?

Dogen

Forum Donor
Hi all,
I’d like to build a simple headphone amp from kit or instructions, and I have absolutely no experience. What would you recommend as a good starter kit that includes casework? I’m thinking one that works from a commercially available wall wart, so I’m not building a power supply first time. Sound quality is important of course, but foremost is that I can finish and enjoy it, and gain some confidence. Thanks- Bob

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
If you have access to I would recommend either a O2 Objective or Bottlehead Crack.
I will try and build the NuHybrid from Pete Millet, might also be worth a try.

Timbo2

I’d second the O2. If you are a complete novice the Bottlehead crack uses mains voltages so you could be in for a nasty surprise.

For either project you will find a multimeter invaluable.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
The O2 kit does look like a good first project - thanks. Not ready to deal with mains voltages yet with the Bottlehead. I’m intrigued by the NuHybrid, but that appears to be a more complex build.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say novice, are you able to solder? Unless you are already able to solder to a reasonable standard I would master that skill before trying an amp kit. Just get some old wire and scrap boards etc and practice soldering until you feel confident about it otherwise you risk ruining an amp kit. If you feel good about soldering then I'd second an O2 kit.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
I have never soldered but a friend is an audio tech and can help me learn. Good advice about practicing before trying it on the kit!

Top Bottom