• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amp into Genelecs?

fotoalan

Hi folks, I have a rather naive question.

I just picked up a used set of Genelec 1029A's with matching 7050A sub. I intend to feed them from a streamer/DAC, probably something RasPi based like an Allo Boss2 or the XLR version of the Hifiberry. But since I have no experience whatsoever in the wonderful world of Raspberry Pi hardware and open source streaming software, I'm looking at an interim solution using a FiiO BTR5 headphone amp that I already have, with a minijack-to-XLR converter.

Now, my question: I'm assuming the output from a small portable headphone amp will be similar to preamp level and won't risk damaging the Genelecs. Am I assuming correctly?

Secondary question: other than the aesthetic drawback of having use adapters, does the RCA output of the Allo Boss2 have any significant disadvantages that should push me towards looking for a DAC with "native" XLR output instead?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now, my question: I'm assuming the output from a small portable headphone amp will be similar to preamp level and won't risk damaging the Genelecs. Am I assuming correctly?

Using a headphone amp as a preamp should be just fine, especially a portable one which won't have particularly high voltage swing.

Secondary question: other than the aesthetic drawback of having use adapters, does the RCA output of the Allo Boss2 have any significant disadvantages that should push me towards looking for a DAC with "native" XLR output instead?

Balanced connections will reduce the chances of having a ground loop causing a constant buzz/hum but that's basically it.

Top Bottom