• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp for Sundaras Around $500?

Sconnie

Just got Sundaras and love them. Currently driving with Apt/Holman pre-amp fed by Bluesound Node. Sounds good but pushing the preamp (higher volume on the dial) and wondering if there is an upgrade possible by using a dedicated headphone amp for around $500? Also have a Topping D50S - so in theory could bypass Node DAC into the D50S then into an amp, or bypassing the Node DAC into a combo DAC/Headphone amp like the IFI Zen Dac V2 for instance... Love the streaming ability of the Node and not looking to remove that from the equation, but open to suggestions. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's how much power you need for the Sundara:
Screenshot_20230128-212809.jpg

Anything more expensive than one of these is a waste of money, if you don't plan to upgrade to an HE6 in the future.
-Sabaj A10h ($75)
-JDS Atom Amp+ ($100)
-Schiit Heretic ($110)
-Sabaj A20h ($120)
-SMSL SH-6 ($120)
-SMSL HO100 ($125)
-SMSL SH-8S ($130)
-Topping L30 II ($150)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the Sabaj A20h with the he560 and he5xx on the balanced side and sounds fantastic. They're available for $119 and the power is great if you equalize, use replaygain, and have pre volume war recordings which drain the life out of an amp in any combination.
I go big on power since it's addictive jumping down the equalization rabbit hole and a -6db preamp reduction cuts volume in half. Nice to be able to stay out of high gain mode with the A20h even after tinkering with EQ.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sconnie

Here's how much power you need for the Sundara:
View attachment 260667

Anything more expensive than one of these is a waste of money, if you don't plan to upgrade to an HE6 in the future.
-Sabaj A10h ($75)
-JDS Atom Amp+ ($100)
-Schiit Heretic ($110)
-Sabaj A20h ($120)
-SMSL SH-6 ($120)
-SMSL HO100 ($125)
-SMSL SH-8S ($130)
-Topping L30 II ($150)
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to assume that the Sundaras won't be the end game - so any advice for driving higher end phones down the road would be appreciated.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Within that budget get a Topping A90 or A90D and call it a day. You will be able to drive whatever you want with no worries

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I consider the Hifiman Ananda to be end game for most people who aren't lottery ticket winners. They're easy to power compared to the He6se and don't have the forward upper mids of the Arya. I just got a Topping A90D in today and can honestly say it's the best headphone amplifier I've ever heard or probably ever will. Using it with my trusty D10B balanced DAC and it's great. Tommorow I'm going to pair it with an original SMSL M500 (the one that outputs close to 7 volts) and just take it for a spin for kicks since it has filters. Sabaj A20h is the value for the money, but wow this A90D sounds great with the Hifiman He5xx and HE560 on balanced. Still haven't left low gain mode.
I have a Topping A30Pro/D30Pro as well, it's for the purist who doesn't want MQA or bluetooth, and single ended power for days if you like to equalize the Beyerdynamic 600ohms, or just save a ton of money on buying balanced cables. I would tell anyone who can afford it to get an A90D and just be done with the holy grail upgrade quest. I have another Ananda coming in by the weekend and can't wait to try them again with it.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I consider the Hifiman Ananda to be end game for most people who aren't lottery ticket winners. They're easy to power compared to the He6se and don't have the forward upper mids of the Arya. I just got a Topping A90D in today and can honestly say it's the best headphone amplifier I've ever heard or probably ever will. Using it with my trusty D10B balanced DAC and it's great. Tommorow I'm going to pair it with an original SMSL M500 (the one that outputs close to 7 volts) and just take it for a spin for kicks since it has filters. Sabaj A20h is the value for the money, but wow this A90D sounds great with the Hifiman He5xx and HE560 on balanced. Still haven't left low gain mode.
I have a Topping A30Pro/D30Pro as well, it's for the purist who doesn't want MQA or bluetooth, and single ended power for days if you like to equalize the Beyerdynamic 600ohms, or just save a ton of money on buying balanced cables. I would tell anyone who can afford it to get an A90D and just be done with the holy grail upgrade quest. I have another Ananda coming in by the weekend and can't wait to try them again with it.

I do agree 100%. The A90D is an end game amp, period. I got last week a Benchmark HPA4 which I'm using mostly as pre amp. Comparing it with the A90D, I can't hear any difference between the 2 when driving my 660s, Sundaras and DCA Noires. I was going to put my A90D for sale, but I'm holding to it for a bit more. I really don't want to part with it :)

GLTRV

My Topping L30 was perfectly good with my Sundaras, but the single ended signal path often picked up annoying noise/interference.
Maybe you'd want a more powerful amp with balanced input in case you buy more power hungry headphones in the future. The SMSL SH-8s on drop.com is super cheap.
If you want to spend $500, then get a Topping A90 (as suggested above) or another endgame amp.
I'm 90+++++% sure I can't tell any difference between my L30 and A90 with my Sundaras (except when the single ended signal path picked up noise), but the L30 isn't powerful enough to drive my HE6seV2.

RoA

Using a Mojo 2 with my Sundara and others. No issue

Magnifico

Topping A30 pro is insanely powerful and 250€ are a fair price I think.

If the headphones sound very warm I´d rethink the A30 pro and think more of a THX driven HP-Amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom