• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

headphone amp for LCD-5

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to sit down and listen to my stuff, the stuff I have, and enjoy, instead of searching for better stuff,
Yup- the Singxer has enough power and if not broken should be clean. Everything else is either added distortion of one sort or another (which is fine if you want that kind of thing and know you are getting it) or bullshit.

RHO

Major Contributor
@MalinYamato ... I think I understand why you want to "upgrade". Most amps are aesthetically unattractive to you. I can understand that and for me that is also a factor when buying new gear, although the importance of the aesthetics has diminished for me these last months.
But ugly gear is no fun and some of those more esoteric stuff just looks awesome. I think they put quite some effort in making them look so attractive. It's because the performance can not win it from less expensive gear, most of the time. And when listening sighted, the more attractive gear will seem to sound better to most. When listening blind, all the bling in the universe will not help and will make their products not stand out in a good way at all.

OP
MalinYamato

MalinYamato

@MalinYamato ... I think I understand why you want to "upgrade". Most amps are aesthetically unattractive to you. I can understand that and for me that is also a factor when buying new gear, although the importance of the aesthetics has diminished for me these last months.
But ugly gear is no fun and some of those more esoteric stuff just looks awesome. I think they put quite some effort in making them look so attractive. It's because the performance can not win it from less expensive gear, most of the time. And when listening sighted, the more attractive gear will seem to sound better to most. When listening blind, all the bling in the universe will not help and will make their products not stand out in a good way at all.
you hit the nail.... my heart jumps up when I see a beautiful amp and the look is important because the amp will sit in front of me during the day.... I do like masculine big males but my stuff has to be very feminine, elegant, and cute, not masculine black as most audio stuff I see around. Now I look at my Singar and it sits there being a dude in black. Why I like the iCAN Signature is because it looks like jewelry with golden bracelets, the rings :) -- this is what ladies want. You guys have no clue why we ladies cannot resist buying dysfunctional handbags for USD 1000 - 2000. this thread is not only to get an amp for an LCD-5, it is as well about how to get a gorgeous looking amp for a lady of style.
image1112.png

should urge Amir to include wife or lady acceptance factor of the gear he measures. How well does the gear measure aginst your wife's taste, lifestyle, and fashion?

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should urge Amir to include wife or lady acceptance factor of the gear he measures. How well does the gear measure aginst your wife's taste, lifestyle, and fashion?

My wife hates the appearance of all of it, but ESPECIALLY my "budget" Monoprice 12-S subwoofers. I kind of suspect WAF (wife acceptance factor) isn't part of the reviews because each separate review is 100% subjective even with n=1. For example, my wife's very flexible and accepting when the weather's nice and the breeze is flowing through the house. When it's February here in Chicago, the truth comes out :)

RHO

Major Contributor
you hit the nail.... my heart jumps up when I see a beautiful amp and the look is important because the amp will sit in front of me during the day.... I do like masculine big males but my stuff has to be very feminine, elegant, and cute, not masculine black as most audio stuff I see around. Now I look at my Singar and it sits there being a dude in black. Why I like the iCAN Signature is because it looks like jewelry with golden bracelets, the rings :) -- this is what ladies want. You guys have no clue why we ladies cannot resist buying dysfunctional handbags for USD 1000 - 2000. this thread is not only to get an amp for an LCD-5, it is as well about how to get a gorgeous looking amp for a lady of style.
View attachment 194958

should urge Amir to include wife or lady acceptance factor of the gear he measures. How well does the gear measure aginst your wife's taste, lifestyle, and fashion?
Someone on this forum should know about a very aesthetically pleasing amp that also performs really well.
Unfortunately that is not me. I like 'm black.

OP
MalinYamato

MalinYamato

Someone on this forum should know about a very aesthetically pleasing amp that also performs really well.
Unfortunately that is not me. I like 'm black.
the world is too sterile and black now...all people dress like bums and beggars. I am seriously working on a time machine that brings me back to the 50s when jukeboxes looked gorgeous and when men were men. Make men men again! -- bring me back to the world of gorgeous-looking cars, masculine he-men with short rough stubs who smell gasoline, pink jukeboxes, and gears of the 50s. I am sick of black boxes and soft men. The only merit of living today is that those black boxes may reproduce music better, but what else?

Last edited:

ZzZzZ

A topping pa5 speaker amp will do the job. You'd need to make a balanced adaptor to use it (4 speaker wires to female xlr). Should be good for about 20W into 14Ω.
Has someone tried topping pa5 or Burson timekeeper 3ir with susvara ? And is that little headphone impedance matching adaptor HE-Adapter useful while using speaker amps with susvara ? I was wondering how that adaptor is one size fits all kinda solution to all the different speaker amps and multiple headphones impedance matching ?

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, no.
I doubt anyone on this planet could possibly detect any audible difference between a stack at 100dB SINAD and 120dB SINAD, much less 120.6dB vs 121.2dB SINAD.

Take the klippel listening test, find out how crappy our ears are compared to SOTA audio, and save some cash. WIN.

I get about -39dB on a great day with good IEM's. I honestly stop caring after this point. I'm perfectly happy with a $9 apple dongle DAC at 98dB SINAD. I can't tell the difference between the dongle DAC and my D10Balanced + THX 789 stack.

This is the first step to recovery. We're all rooting for ya!
I just tried this test, very interesting. I used my Macbook Pro 2013, a Hidizs S9 Pro dongle and my Sennheiser IE 800, fiddeling with the EQ, bass boost and loudness, I got -51dB, which apparently is way more sensitive (14dB) than the average listener. So I really shouldn't care anymore in Hifi gear about distortion lower than that, good to know.
But keep in mind that SINAD is noise AND distortion, the test is only about distortion, so noise might be audible at lower levels still (at least the test does not tell anything about it).

Last edited:
Top Bottom