• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp for DT 1990 Pro

Tom_e

Hello, I have recently got a pair of DT 1990 pro and paired them with a Zen Dac V2 which is great for the time being however I was planning in the future to buy a seperate amp to add. Just wondering what your opinions are on that and what amps you would reccomend. I am in Europe currently so keep in mind some things would have to be bought and shipped. My budget for the amp was probably around $300-$400.

Thanks!

Sledgestone

Hello, I have recently got a pair of DT 1990 pro and paired them with a Zen Dac V2 which is great for the time being however I was planning in the future to buy a seperate amp to add. Just wondering what your opinions are on that and what amps you would reccomend. I am in Europe currently so keep in mind some things would have to be bought and shipped. My budget for the amp was probably around $300-$400.

Thanks!

Try to find a used Asgard 3. Asgard and zen dac would be a nice pairing. Hifishark is a great place to find used gear.

I’ve also heard that Lake people G111 or G103-s is a nice pairing with the DT 1990. Easier to find them in Europe than the Asgard.

Last edited:

Luke Lemke

Thanks!
Keep your existing amp and be happy, It's more than enough to drive your DT 1990. By the way, please disregard all of the "amp pairing" BS you hear from random audiophiles on the internet.

If you want to improve your current set-up, use EQ.

Sledgestone

Keep your existing amp and be happy, It's more than enough to drive your DT 1990. By the way, please disregard all of the "amp pairing" BS you hear from random audiophiles on the internet.

If you want to improve your current set-up, use EQ.

If you actually tried the Zen dac with the DT1990 you would know that it’s not more that enough to drive them. The Zen was measured here and had like 30mw into 300 ohms. It does a decent job but has no headroom. Good luck getting any usable volume out of it using EQ.

Luke Lemke

W
If you actually tried the Zen dac with the DT1990 you would know that it’s not more that enough to drive them. The Zen was measured here and had like 30mw into 300 ohms. It does a decent job but has no headroom. Good luck getting any usable volume out of it using EQ.
Well, if the Zen Dac can't drive the DT1990 loud enough, then I take it back...

I've use the DT1990 with the Fiio K5 PRO and the Magni/Modi stack. Both of these amps were able to drive the DT1990 loud enough, even with EQ.

Kahooli

Im really enjoying the L50 +e50 I just picked up, FWIW

Last edited:

Luke Lemke

Im really enjoying the L50 +e50 I just picked up, FWIW
I'm sure you do enjoy them, and I would too. It doesn't mean they sound audibly better than the Magni/Modi stack or a Fiio K5 PRO.

Kahooli

I'm sure you do enjoy them, and I would too. It doesn't mean they sound audibly better than the Magni/Modi stack or a Fiio K5 PRO.
I didn't say that. I also replied to the wrong comment; I didn't intend to direct my statement toward you.

Luke Lemke

I didn't say that. I also replied to the wrong comment; I didn't intend to direct my statement toward you.
I've read my post again and I think I sounded rude in that response. Sorry for that, it was not my intent.

I was just trying to convey that sometimes people spend too much on headphone amps that don't really improve the audio quality in any significant way.

That being said, the L50 seems to be an extremely competent amp for its price based on Amir's review and you really should enjoy it.

Take care
Luke

Top Bottom