• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp for Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm (even needed?)

Lilith

Hi,

I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphone (250 Ohm) and have it currently connected to a (... don't laugh) Mackie HM-4 headphone amp which is connected to my interface (Behringer UMC 204) via the headphone output. I wonder if I get "better sound" with a better headphone amp as the volume is also rather low. I read that it's perfectly fine to connect the amp to the headphone output as it is almost identical with a line output. I want to avoid connecting my speaker through an headphone amp if possible. These are directly connected to the Line out of the UMC unit.

Main purpose is for mixing music.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you plug the DT880 directly into the UMC 204's headphone jack, how is the volume?
I would have connected the HM-4 to the line-outputs on the back of the UMC204.
Daisy chain the HM-4 off the UMC 204 headphone jack would be the option if there was no line-outputs available, but you do have them.
Your UMC 204 comes with three line-outputs, two RCA sets and one 1/4" set.
Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom headphone amplifier is what would buy for use with the DT880.

For audio production (creating, mixing, editing, etc) You might get the Sony MDR-V6 headphones (used off eBay).
The DT880 are slightly on the bright side, so there is a slight biased for audio work.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
UMC 204 headphone section is completely inadequate for DT880/250 (have both).
You can use the HP out to an amp but would suggest to use the RCA or TRS outputs

Filter the treble or use some toilet paper and you can mix with it (when you can't use speakers for some reason)

Buy an L30, IEMagni, Atom or similar amp and you're fine.

Last edited:
OP
Lilith

Lilith

If you plug the DT880 directly into the UMC 204's headphone jack, how is the volume?
I would have connected the HM-4 to the line-outputs on the back of the UMC204.
Daisy chain the HM-4 off the UMC 204 headphone jack would be the option if there was no line-outputs available, but you do have them.
Your UMC 204 comes with three line-outputs, two RCA sets and one 1/4" set.
Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom headphone amplifier is what would buy for use with the DT880.

For audio production (creating, mixing, editing, etc) You might get the Sony MDR-V6 headphones (used off eBay).
The DT880 are slightly on the bright side, so there is a slight biased for audio work.

Thanks! Yes, the UMC is loud enough, also the HM-4 is loud enough. I connected the HM-4 now to the RCA output (completely forgot that I have these) and I have the feeling that the sound is clearer. However this can be imagination too. I have Sonarworks to correct for the highs. Is there any alternative to the two amps, maybe even with two outputs? Both are not available anymore in Germany and I don't want to buy used gear.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

UMC 204 headphone section is completely inadequate for DT880/250 (have both).
You can use the HP out to an amp but would suggest to use the RCA or TRS outputs

Filter the treble or use some toilet paper and you can mix with it (when you can't use speakers for some reason)

Buy an L30, IEMagni, Atom or similar amp and you're fine.

Which parameter tells me, that the UMC or any other amp is not working well with the DT880 250 Ohm?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks! Yes, the UMC is loud enough, also the HM-4 is loud enough. I connected the HM-4 now to the RCA output (completely forgot that I have these) and I have the feeling that the sound is clearer. However this can be imagination too. I have Sonarworks to correct for the highs. Is there any alternative to the two amps, maybe even with two outputs? Both are not available anymore in Germany and I don't want to buy used gear.
Topping or Xduoo headphone amplifiers.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

How does a Lake People G103-S Phone amp compare to these China amps? I read that e.g. the L30 can destroy the headphones (seems to be fixed now). Another thing is warranty. When I directly order in China I think it's almost impossible to have the unit repaired.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Which parameter tells me, that the UMC or any other amp is not working well with the DT880 250 Ohm?

The output voltage is not nearly high enough.
Above 1 o' clock the output starts clipping already.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

The only one which is available is the Topping A50 for 200€. Think I'm getting this.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

And A50s for thevsame price

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Hmm.. Does not seem to be a good choice as it's much weaker than the L30

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Note that the output voltage from the 204 is unusually low in level.
You should look for an amp that has enough gain.
Also the DT880 can not be used on balanced outputs of amplifiers, only SE outs.

You need an amp that can provide > 150mW in 300ohm (SE) and has a gain of > 15dB.
Set the HP out of UMC at 12'o clock.

Schiit IEMagni qualifies with lots of headroom to spare.

JIW

For around 200€ you could also get another interface. While not available for the next two months or so (according to Thomann), the Motu M2 (195€) and the M4 (259€) were both reviewed by Amir. The headphone amplifier is however restricted to around 2.4 V RMS into high impedance loads, which should be enough for a peak SPL of around 110 dB so enough for all but the most dynamic material or very high levels.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

For around 200€ you could also get another interface. While not available for the next two months or so (according to Thomann), the Motu M2 (195€) and the M4 (259€) were both reviewed by Amir. The headphone amplifier is however restricted to around 2.4 V RMS into high impedance loads, which should be enough for a peak SPL of around 110 dB so enough for all but the most dynamic material or very high levels.

I'm on Linux and the Motu do not work on Linux.

Top Bottom