• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp/Dac Recommendations

Ori0n

Hi there - very informative reading all the measurements, glad I dropped by! Figured I may as well make a post as I'm looking to upgrade my Amp/Dac for my desktop computer setup (with headphones).

I currently have an OPPO HA-2 portable amp/dac and have OPPO PM-3s and Sennheiser HD6XXs. I tend to use the HD6XXs a bit more because I prefer them for gaming although I frequently use the planar PM-3s for music. The HA-2 drives the OPPOs fine but I have issues with the HD6XXs as it only gives 30mW at 300Ohms whereas the OPPOs are 26Ohms. I tend to have the amp at max volume constantly with the HD6XXs and have to frequently use high gain which increases distortions.

So, I'm looking at a new amp/dac setup. I'm not opposed to an all-in-one or a stack.

Have looked at Topping's new dx7s but I'm concerned about output impedance for the PM-3s, plus its not the most powerful at 300Ohms. The Topping D50 seems to look quite good for a DAC but would then need a corresponding amp. Anyone heard anything more about the future A50 amp?

Don't currently use balanced but hey if it has the feature, I'm all for it. Native DSD would be nice (a reason for liking the D50). So best bang for buck obviously. Sub $1k total preferable.

Looked at Schitt Jutenheim with multibit DAC and Audio-gd R2R-11/NFB-11 but despite the fanboys have read some not so encouraging things about both brands.

So yeah I think that's everything. Any advice/recommendations most welcome and appreciated. Cheers!

VanNeumann

In the near future Topping will be releasing the Amp (not sure of the name, T50 maybe) for the D50 DAC, and they mentioned that it will have a low headphone output impedance. Hopefully, they do the same for future versions of the D7x's.

stalepie

As I understand it, planar magnetics like the PM-3 are the least affected by output impedance, in comparison to dynamic and balanced armature types of headphones.

Jacona

Jacona

I have this in for review. Since it is on a loan, it means it will get reviewed sooner than later. :)
Awesome.

Being that it is a tube amp I am going to assume that there is going to be a at least higher than average distortion in the measurements.
So I am looking forward to the subjective portion of your review.

OP
O

Ori0n

The Alex Cavalli Tube Amp is currently available on Massdrop.
It's a pretty neutral sounding tube amp according to John Grandberg on Innerfidelity and Wall of Fame worthy if it wasn't on Massdrop.
Fed with any decent modern DAC and you should be golden.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-cth-tube-hybrid-amp
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-tube-hybrid-amp-cth

Hmmm, hadn't really considered a tube amp but I'll have a look, thanks.

OP
O

Ori0n

The CTH drop ends too quickly to make a decision (i.e. in a few hours) but it looks OK I guess.

garbulky

Major Contributor
For my HD600, I really like my Basx A-100 in direct drive mode. It has huge amounts of power and really gave the sensation of "opening up" the headphones which usually sounded a bit veiled to me (subjective impression).

OP
O

Ori0n

Yes I did look at this Emotiva, one thing that really annoys me is having a power switch on the back of the unit :mad: :mad: Why do they do this?? lol...

dc655321

Major Contributor
Any advice/recommendations most welcome and appreciated.

JDS Element for the desktop/home use. Or maybe not, given your annoyance with switches on the unit's back ;-)
I use the Topping NX4 DSD with my HD6xx phones. Small channel imbalance at very small volumes - don't hear it with the 6xx.

OP
O

Ori0n

JDS Element for the desktop/home use. Or maybe not, given your annoyance with switches on the unit's back ;-)
I use the Topping NX4 DSD with my HD6xx phones. Small channel imbalance at very small volumes - don't hear it with the 6xx.

Ah I was literally just looking at The Element (and also the EL Amp) like 30 minutes ago. They sure look pretty but yeah power switch on back is a pain, plus the DAC in the Element doesnt seem that good. E.g. low range of audio formats. Nice low output impedance though. The EL Amp looked interesting, say to pair with the Topping D50.... power on the back only real downside....

Maybe the Massdrop Cavalli ticks all my boxes....

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yes I did look at this Emotiva, one thing that really annoys me is having a power switch on the back of the unit :mad: :mad: Why do they do this?? lol...
Your more annoying problem would be is that its depth is more than it looks. So though it's portable and somewhat compact, it's really quite deep.

OP
O

Ori0n

Your more annoying problem would be is that its depth is more than it looks. So though it's portable and somewhat compact, it's really quite deep.

38cm deep, sheesh.

Yeah the more I look at it the more I like the Topping D50 + Massdrop Cavalli Hybrid as a combo

Last edited:
OP
O

Ori0n

Well I went ahead and ordered a Topping D50 off AliExpress on Thursday. Arrived in my hot little hands in Australia on Monday. Can't complain about that! :cool:

Top Bottom