• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp/Dac Recommendation For Desk

dman777

I would like to buy a DAC/AMP to sit on my desk at work. What I would like it to have is:

1) A warm sound but also clarity. Maybe a tube with also solid state?
2) Bluetooth to where it will sync with my Samsung S7 cell phone which will be the music source.
3) Looking to spend around $500.00

Any suggestions, please?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would avoid a tube amp. It won't do anything useful.

Topping DX3 Pro does all that for half your budget. But some people have had reliability issues with them so buy it from a place you can return.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Except for the warm sound, that is. More kinda no sound of its own.

BillG

Major Contributor
Except for the warm sound, that is.

Hmmm... more like the false perception of warmth due to the tube's glow; If one's DAC/amp is skewing the frequency response away from flat, then it's busted. However, if one wishes to EQ for warmth, perhaps the following curve is what one is after:

Untitled.png

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
On top of the frequency response they add some "friendly" distortion...

By the way: Ozone Elements can be hand for less then 30 Dollars when izotope does a promotion. But its worth it even at the full price. Great and fun tool for "remastering" your audio, and much more versatile than amps and dacs when it comes to sound shaping.

THW

Forum Donor
as Amir pointed out, DX3 Pro but get it from a place where you can return it if anything goes wrong.

has enough clean power for all but the most unreasonably hard to drive headphones.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to use your cell phone as the source via BT you should consider BT headphones and just cut out the DAC/amp. Alternatively if a USB dongle gives enough volume with your headphones then it may well be all you need.

Top Bottom