• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp/Dac Dilemma!

TechEnthusiast

Through experimentation amongst various products and advice from this forum, I think that I have finally narrowed it down to 2 choices. I am primarily using Sundara headphones and sometimes some old Grado 325's, Senn HD 590, and Sony MDR 1A.
Currently I have a Topping L30/E30 ($270) and an Ifi Zen Can ($170) set up side by side. So far the only difference in sound that I can determine is that the Zen can get louder but that can be managed with the Topping with a pre-amp in software. Really both of them get loud enough for most listening experiences, however , there are times when I do crank it just for a few seconds...just like having that ability, and through the software the Topping can then match the highest levels I would ever go for that short moment or so.
I realize that the Zen only serves as an amp and I do not find any real advantage of a separate DAC. My PC contains both a Soundblaster Z card and the MB which is an Asus H170 Pro Gaming board that has a quality DAC as well. I have A/B'd these 2 set ups for some time now and it's getting time to keep one over the other. I just need a little help from the experts here.
Looks and convenience wise I really like both. The stack works great on my desktop as does the Zen. With the Zen it works perfect by itself and minimizes cable management but it is not something that makes that much of a difference to me.
I did try the Monolith 788 but it provided no benefit over the other 2 set ups other than being a single unit and pricier. Possible would have kept it as I do like the single unit look but could not get past the Volume control, lack of a remote, and ability to use as pre-amp on the fly (you have to go through the menus).
So help guide me through this decision if you can....I know that it just may come down to personal preference but I am hoping that someone can help me to lean one way or the other.....I like both setups a lot. Also would be open to a combo unit if it could be under $300 and serve as a pre-amp and compete with these 2 power-wise....the K5 pro almost does this...but no switch for output.

Last edited:

312elements

If the zen solves the problem better and it’s cheaper, I think you’ve found your answer. circle back in a year and see if there’s something new that excites you.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Id get a Topping DX7 Pro and sell both.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Id get a Topping DX7 Pro and sell both.
I do like the idea of an all in one, but I really do not want to take a step down in power. After researching it, I found that the DX7 only output's 637 mW on SE and that is almost a full watt less than the Zen plus less than the L30.

raif71

Major Contributor
You know my answer @TechEnthusiast . I'm all for the Zen.

The Zen stack rear connections (using balanced):

1606227579581.png

Last edited:
OP
T

TechEnthusiast

You know my answer @TechEnthusiast . I'm all for the Zen.

The Zen stack rear connections (using balanced):

View attachment 95569
I am beginning to think that the Zen Can could be the ONE, however, I do have some reservations. If you recall the first one got fried and I was not impressed with how support handled it. Now the whole 4.4mm output situation with support. As mentioned in a separate thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?posts/576659/
An adapter that I purchased to run a line out was said to be a bad idea so before connecting it I contacted support and they replied:

"Hello Dan,
That should work perfectly!
Cheers,

Amber B"

......and so I tried it and it worked, but with noise. Besides that the headphones play at the same time so it would not serve as a preamp the way I would like. To further lower my confidence in them I replied my concerns about the noise and they replied:

"Hello Dan,
The outputs do not disable when multiple outputs are connected. It is not recommended to plug more than one in at a time as it can cause damage to the unit or the output devices."

So they mentioned noise and I replied back stating that I did have noise when connecting two inputs at the same time and they replied:

"Hello Dan,

We don't recommend to have more than one input.

Thank you,

Yolanda."

The noise I found was a ground loop so I plugged the E30 into an outlet and there was no more noise when 2 inputs were attached. Needless to
say this level of support really concerns me. I realize that these may be inexperienced CS people, but after a few replies I think that it should have been escalated to someone with more technical knowledge about the product.
With that said I am back on my quest for a powerful SE amp. I was thinking power wise perhaps a Schiit Heresy or Asgard. Asgard is the most powerful SE choice that I have found under $300. I also like SP200 with XLR (even though SE..it still would work the way I need it to) was close, but not so sure after looking at the measurements. It states 2.9 watts @33 Ohms vs the Asgard which produces 3.4 watts @33 Ohms. Those numbers for the SP 200 are based on a 5 volt input vs a 2 volt for the Asgard. So I am still on the fence.

wasnotwasnotwas

I am beginning to think that the Zen Can could be the ONE, however, I do have some reservations. If you recall the first one got fried and I was not impressed with how support handled it. Now the whole 4.4mm output situation with support. As mentioned in a separate thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?posts/576659/
An adapter that I purchased to run a line out was said to be a bad idea so before connecting it I contacted support and they replied:

"Hello Dan,
That should work perfectly!
Cheers,

Amber B"

......and so I tried it and it worked, but with noise. Besides that the headphones play at the same time so it would not serve as a preamp the way I would like. To further lower my confidence in them I replied my concerns about the noise and they replied:

"Hello Dan,
The outputs do not disable when multiple outputs are connected. It is not recommended to plug more than one in at a time as it can cause damage to the unit or the output devices."

So they mentioned noise and I replied back stating that I did have noise when connecting two inputs at the same time and they replied:

"Hello Dan,

We don't recommend to have more than one input.

Thank you,
Yolanda."

The noise I found was a ground loop so I plugged the E30 into an outlet and there was no more noise when 2 inputs were attached. Needless to
say this level of support really concerns me. I realize that these may be inexperienced CS people, but after a few replies I think that it should have been escalated to someone with more technical knowledge about the product.
With that said I am back on my quest for a powerful SE amp. I was thinking power wise perhaps a Schiit Heresy or Asgard. Asgard is the most powerful SE choice that I have found under $300. I also like SP200 with XLR (even though SE..it still would work the way I need it to) was close, but not so sure after looking at the measurements. It states 2.9 watts @33 Ohms vs the Asgard which produces 3.4 watts @33 Ohms. Those numbers for the SP 200 are based on a 5 volt input vs a 2 volt for the Asgard. So I am still on the fence.

Absolute power measurements shouldn't be much of a concern with any amp you have discussed. I'm no longer sure what you are looking for in an amp except seemingly different from the last one you had. What headphones do you have /plan to have?

Edit. By the way, the L30 meets all your criteria, as does the Atom. Switchable pre outs and plenty of power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom