• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone adapter - 6.3mm to 3.5mm short cable adapter (not hard adapter) with 4 conductors

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

I'm looking for a short cable adapter (under 6 inches), 6.3mm (female) to 3.5mm (male), that has 4 conductor wiring inside (L and R grounds are separate and insulated).

I can't use a hard adapter because it's too stiff.

This Sennheiser adapter is 3 conductor, L & R share a common ground (Sennheiser told me):

https://en-de.sennheiser.com/accessories--adapter--jack-plug--gold

Does anyone know of a decent one?

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Never heard of any such cable. Assuming you have one already that's the wrong length, you could cut the 6.3 end to length and solder on a new connector.

Regards,
Wayne A.Pflughaupt

cshake

Forum Donor
I don't know of a ready commercial option, because it's a rather niche adapter. In my very limited experience, most headphones that have a balanced cable by default will come with a 2.5 or 3.5mm TRRS if they're able to be driven by a portable player, and/or a detachable cable so you'd get one with the right connectors and not need an adapter. If you're doing a balanced interconnect instead, why not use XLR?

Personally, if I needed this adapter, I'd look for the appropriate connectors on DigiKey, Mouser, or element14, grab some 24g stranded hookup wire from my bin, and a bit of nylon sleeve or just heatshrink depending on desired length. Even the cheapest soldering iron would work well enough, this is very much a beginner project (but do the larger end first). Connectors will range from a buck or two to $10 each depending on brand and quality.

cshake

Forum Donor
If you do decide to make your own from scratch, you definitely want to use the Canare F-12 3.5 mm plug. It’s the only one I know of that has a full-sized barrel. Those tiny 3.5mm’s are a nightmare to solder, especially for a beginner.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899705-REG/canare_f_12_f_series_audio_line.html

I think he's looking for TRRS not TRS based on the 4-wire requirement, but good suggestion regarding brand. I recently made a headphone cable using Amphenol connectors, though they were only mono on the 3.5mm end the connectors felt very solid and were easy to solder. Better strain relief than the very cheap options too.

Also, I did not know B&H sold connectors, good to see - I like shopping there for photo stuff, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I think he's looking for TRRS not TRS based on the 4-wire requirement

No, just TRS. But 4 conductor. My headphone cable is 4 conductor - L and R have separate ground, hence the 4 conductors.

DAC/Amp only has 3.5mm TRS output.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Furutech make a hard adapter but it's too stiff , as mentioned in my opening post.

A short cable adapter will allow flexion.

I could make an entire new headphone cable but I do like this one.

Other option is to re-retermine this current headphone cable with a 3.5mm plug.

cshake

Forum Donor
No, just TRS. But 4 conductor. My headphone cable is 4 conductor - L and R have separate ground, hence the 4 conductors.

DAC/Amp only has 3.5mm TRS output.
You've got a 6.3mm male TRRS plug on your headphones? That's the rare bit I'm keying in on here. Unless I'm still misunderstanding this, you need to take a 6.3mm TRRS male and plug it into a 3.5mm TRS jack on the DAC/Amp? You can say that Sennheiser makes such an adapter, but they really don't, since it's only TRS to TRS - the fact that the plug would physically fit doesn't mean it's actually such an adapter.

That Sennheiser adapter only has TRS in the female end I can almost guarantee, and that's the problem. It's a complete guess as to whether the spring contact internally for the sleeve on the jack end will also touch the second ring, so it may or may not work, and then it would only work if the second ring on your plug is the second ground. Being 3 or 4 wire internally makes no difference for such an adapter, since it's tying the ground together at one end or the other, so why run an extra conductor instead of just tying the two grounds at the jack end.

I think we're misunderstanding the question though, or you're misunderstanding what you need.

Edit: I just realized, apparently we've found Schrödinger's adapter - existing simultaneously as both an example of what isn't good enough (post #1) and also an example of exactly what you want produced commercially (post #6).

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
You've got a 6.3mm male TRRS plug on your headphones?

TRS both ends

You can say that Sennheiser makes such an adapter, but they really don't, since it's only TRS to TRS

That's exactly what I need, TRS to TRS. But as mentioned, Sennheiser have confirmed L and R ground are shared - it's a 3 wire adapter. This is not ideal for crosstalk purposes.

My headphone cable is 4 conductor with separate insulated L- and R- ... a little cable adapter to match would be nice. I have a feeling I'll either need to DIY - re-terminate my headphone cable or make my own 4 wire adapter.

mansr

Major Contributor
No, just TRS. But 4 conductor.
There's no point in using 4 conductors for this. Both ends of the adapter have a shared ground, so two ground wires in between would just act like one wire of the combined size. The reason for using separate ground wires to the headphones is to avoid (slight) cross-talk due to voltage drop along a shared ground. Since this adapter is only a few inches long, that voltage drop will be negligible.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@mansr is correct.
A: build your own cord using shielded microphone wire or have one built.

B: build your own cord using a very thick return wire

C: reterminate the cable with a 3.5mm plug (technically best option)

D: don't worry about it unless the headphone used is well below 32 Ohm.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
C: reterminate the cable with a 3.5mm plug (technically best option)

I'll probably do this. Not required I know but it will help my feel warmer and fuzzier inside.

Can anyone recommend good 3.5mm TRS plugs?

Current headphone cable is 4 conductor.

I saw @Wayne A. Pflughaupt (thanks Wayne) recommended this Canare that is easy for a beginner (like me) to work with:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899705-REG/canare_f_12_f_series_audio_line.html

Any others I should consider?

I like those 3.5mm threaded plugs that let you screw on the 6.3mm adapter. Like MrSpeakers provide.

This gives me flexibility if changing headphone DAC/amp later.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
can anyone recommend good 3.5mm TRS plugs?
I often use Rean and Neutrik connectors.
Amphenol also is good.
These are not screw-on though.
I remember someone recommending one of those in a thread. Can't find it now..typing on a phone.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Amphenol also is good.

Thanks. Can you recommend any specific models that you like best?

I can't see any Neutrik 3.5mm plugs - but I see Rean is part of Neutrik group and Rean have a few.

Especially do you know any good plugs with threaded 3.5mm plug, that allows the use of threaded 6.3mm adapter?

cshake

Forum Donor
Amphenol also is good.
These are not screw-on though.
I remember someone recommending one of those in a thread. Can't find it now..typing on a phone.
I second those brands. Switchcraft is also solid, but is more "professional" (works great, just doesn't necessarily look pretty) and is used in many guitar cables and the like.
DigiKey Listings for 3.5mm TRS Plugs - filter out the CUI probably, they span the range of "radioshack rubbery crap" to "meh".
Mouser Listings for 3.5mm TRS Plugs
For either of those links, it's down to aesthetics and what you like between the results. I'm sure there are other stores too, but those always work (for US-based people at least).

Zek

Major Contributor
TRS both ends

That's exactly what I need, TRS to TRS. But as mentioned, Sennheiser have confirmed L and R ground are shared - it's a 3 wire adapter. This is not ideal for crosstalk purposes.

My headphone cable is 4 conductor with separate insulated L- and R- ... a little cable adapter to match would be nice. I have a feeling I'll either need to DIY - re-terminate my headphone cable or make my own 4 wire adapter.
TRS to TRS - these are only 3 wire connectors. You must connect together L- and R- in some point.
If you wish 4 wire adapter you must use TRRS connector.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
You must connect together L- and R- in some point.

Yes but it’s best to minimise this length if possible (crosstalk).

I’m talking theoretical - I’m not saying I can hear differences with just a few inches of 3 wire cable adapter.

Re-terminating the cable with 3.5mm plug is just to make me feel warmer and fuzzier inside. It probably won’t sound different to the Sennheiser adapter I’m already using.

Top Bottom