• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headless streamer with convolution recommendation?

dennnic

Hello, I need a recommendation for a streamer I'm building.

It's basically a raspberry pi zero 2w with a linear power supply. Out with an usb and into a DAC. No display, nor any addons. There are two requirements to be met:

1. I need some way to use a convolution filter (this is a must, since it's an active open baffle application),
2. It needs to have a Tidal connect (not necessarily a Tidal, but I'm unaware of any other service that has both the connect feature and lossless music, as of this moment at least)

Roon would be ideal. It has both convolution, tidal integration and I've got a spare PC around. Unfortunately, its a bit pricey for me currently, since you need a subscription both to Tidal and Roon at the same time.

What I really want is to find something like Roon (more primitive is fine), I do not need any of its options apart from Tidal connect. I've seen DietPi to use Brutefir, but I do not know of tidal connect option. On the other hand, Volumio has Tidal Connect, but I don't see any means of implementing convolution filters.

Thanks ahead!

Stefan

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
dennnic

dennnic

Or

I've seen that, but I couldn't find a way to run terminal in Volumio, its addon list is very limited.

Is there something for Diet Pi? Pi zero 2w has very limited RAM, it might benefit from something with no desktop

GeorgeWalk

I use piCorePlayer and iPeng on my headless Raspberry PI.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You could try JRiver but I would go with more potent pi-pi board.

OP
dennnic

dennnic

Thanks for your input. I'm mostly intrigued by the new Volumio, especially since it's already got a native tidal connect.
As for the Jriver, the power supply I'm building can't supply more than 0.5 amps at 5 volts, hence the choice of pi zero board..

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the Jriver, the power supply I'm building can't supply more than 0.5 amps at 5 volts, hence the choice of pi zero board..
Better make sure the USB DAC is not drawing any power then, since the Pi will already max out your supply when fully active. 0.5A seems awfully tight. Why bother with a linear supply anyway?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well people (including me) have habit of over exaggerating regarding DSPing most of which is done on general purpose SIMD CPU part (DSD conversion, EBU R128, kernel convolution matrix...) and for that even Pi 4 B is an a weak side with 2x A72.
Best regards.

OP
dennnic

dennnic

Better make sure the USB DAC is not drawing any power then, since the Pi will already max out your supply when fully active. 0.5A seems awfully tight. Why bother with a linear supply anyway?
Yup, it's going to be a tight fit with zero 2w and that half an amp. DAC has a separate mains power, so it shouldn't (at least that I know of) draw power from Pi.
Well, I'm already working on an electronic crossover and it's PSU, so adding another board to share the transformer and the rest of the parts was a cheap addition. Unfortunately the PSU was originally designed to power a preamp.

OP
dennnic

dennnic

Nice, I haven't seen that one yet!

Well people (including me) have habit of over exaggerating regarding DSPing most of which is done on general purpose SIMD CPU part (DSD conversion, EBU R128, kernel convolution matrix...) and for that even Pi 4 B is an a weak side with 2x A72.
Best regards.
Have you tried DSP on a raspberry? Is there an audible sound difference between the raspberry and something with a more muscle?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I did try and played with video core but seriously we are talking about execution done on NEON SIMD. Some of mentioned do need couple of stronger core's.

OP
dennnic

dennnic

I did try and played with video core but seriously we are talking about execution done on NEON SIMD. Some of mentioned do need couple of stronger core's.
I wouldn't know, however many minidsp products use chips not much more powerful than those in Pi's, don't they?

Does Roon do external DSP (at the core PC) and then streaming (the already processed signal) to an endpoint?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried DSP on a raspberry? Is there an audible sound difference between the raspberry and something with a more muscle?
A Pi should still be able to do 10k+ taps per channel at least. That should be plenty for most use cases.

Top Bottom