• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Head tracking for Apple spatial music

quadrobust

It appears that with the iOS 15 update the head tracking feature becomes available for all music playing. It works with both Dolby atmos tracks in Apple music and stereo music in any apps (spatialize stereo as they call it) . The head tracking does create a sense of space and positioning for me that feels like near/mid field speakers about 4 feet away. I happen to have the Q Acoustic 3020i speakers placed this way at my workstation, and the first time I enabled the headtracking listening to some movie soundtracks, I had to take my AirPods Pro off to make sure I wasn’t playing it on the speakers. After playing with it for a while I found that it works the best when you place the iphone or iPad in front of you. If you walk around and away from the iOS device, at first the head tracking still works so that the music is playing to your left, right or behind you depending on which way you turned, but after a few seconds it will eventually realign the music to your normal listening orientation, losing the head tracking in the process. I personally find the implementation pretty solid.

Top Bottom