• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Head phone amp recommendations

Wrayster

Hi

I’m looking for a headphone/pre amplifier/DAC with the following:
Digital inputs (co, tosh & usb)
At least one analogue input (RCA)
XLR outputs
Remote control (ideally)

The only things I’ve found so far are the Emotiva DC-1 DAC which I don’t think is manufactured anymore and the Sennheiser HDV820 which is well out of my budget, looking at below £500. I’ve seen the Aune x1s but that doesn’t have the XLR outputs.

Alternative if there’s a headphone amplifier with at least 2 analogue RCA inputs and xlr outputs I could get a separate DAC.

Does anything else exist that would fit these specs?

Thanks for taking the time to look.

OP
W

Wrayster

Yes thanks, I’ve looked at Topping. They don’t seem to do a version with an analogue input to my knowledge.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

XLR outputs
Remote control (ideally)

The only things I’ve found so far are the Emotiva DC-1 DAC which I don’t think is manufactured anymore and the Sennheiser HDV820 which is well out of my budget, looking at below £500. I’ve seen the Aune x1s but that doesn’t have the XLR outputs.

Alternative if there’s a headphone amplifier with at least 2 analogue RCA inputs and xlr outputs I could get a separate DAC.

From a function perspective- leaving aside the remote control- you are looking at a Schiit Jotunheim with DAC module. I have the amp only version and dont believe it is the best by any means but to match your analog in requirement you are really limiting your options.

One of the Topping offers mentioned previous with maybe a second analog only amp might actually get you where you need to be. Or even a stack of a separate DAC with XLR outs on the back and an amp with XLR inputs (from DAC) plus RCA (from analog source) . The SMSL S8 series maybe . Or relevant Topping.

OP
W

Wrayster

I quite like the idea of a smsl su-8 but I hear a new version is imminent with a volume control knob which I would prefer. Though I don’t think it would solve my issue.
Not so sure about the Schiit as I’ve read mixed reviews about their phono stages.
Maybe what I want just doesn’t exist.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

XLR outputs
Remote control (ideally)

Ohhh check out the monoprice 887 dac /Amp. Think has rca inputs

OP
W

Wrayster

Case being that I have built a power amp that works best with xlr inputs feeding it, I have an airport express that I'd like to hook up via the Tosh and I have a turntable that needs analogue RCAs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for chiming in but the Monoprice only seems to have xlr inputs, I need xlr outputs.
My mistake, the monoprice
Thanks for chiming in but the Monoprice only seems to have xlr inputs, I need xlr outputs.
I meant 788 but yeah, sorry think you're looking for one or 2 more connections /features than most will make. Thought you meant xlr headphone out but now I see.

Top Bottom