• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

head amp with built in parametric eq?

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Anyone know of such a beast? I cannot seem to locate one. Thanks in advance for your responses.

OP
M

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Ahhhh - thanks. Missed that one.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Other than the $1700 RME ADI-2 Pro FS, is there a headphone amplifier with analog input and parametric EQ? I use the Roon preset on my LCD-2, and it helps a ton. But I like to listen to records on my turntable with headphones sometimes, and $1,700 is way more than I'm willing to spend to get EQ in that scenario. Considering how pretty much every headphone Amir has measured has been positively transformed with EQ, this seems like market gap worth complaining about.

brachypelma44

I use the Monolith THX 788. It has a high and low shelf EQ that you can specify, and 5 custom PEQ settings that go from -6db to +6db.

This unit is typically $499, although I got one recently for $399 directly from Monoprice during a holiday sale.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
I use the Monolith THX 788. It has a high and low shelf EQ that you can specify, and 5 custom PEQ settings that go from -6db to +6db.

This unit is typically $499, although I got one recently for $399 directly from Monoprice during a holiday sale.

This seems excellent. Five bands plus shelf is plenty. Price is more than fair if it's a good performer. Thanks!

Reactions: 617

TulseLuper

Forum Donor

What is your experience like with Dirac Sensaround? I use Dirac Room Correction on my speakers but haven't heard of this.

brachypelma44

This seems excellent. Five bands plus shelf is plenty. Price is more than fair if it's a good performer. Thanks!

I liked it so much that I bought a second one (at MSRP, not on sale) for the office.

Edit: I forgot to mention that for the PEQ points, you can also set the Q value, if that's important to you. It's nice when you can't use software EQ.

brachypelma44

What is your experience like with Dirac Sensaround? I use Dirac Room Correction on my speakers but haven't heard of this.

It's something I've played with for a few minutes now and them, but never leave on for long. It makes the sound feel like it's coming more from in front of you instead of from the sides, but there is a huge drop in bass that makes it undesirable to me. If I could never use it again, I would be fine with that.

I'm using the Hifiman Sundara and HD 6XX on my units, each with a balanced 10' XLR cable from Periapt. The 6XX needs more EQing than the Sundara, so I use the 6XX in the office where I can use PEACE on my PC to go above and below the +/-6db limit of the Monolith, and have more than 5 PEQ points plus shelf EQs.

Last edited:

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
I liked it so much that I bought a second one (at MSRP, not on sale) for the office.

Edit: I forgot to mention that for the PEQ points, you can also set the Q value, if that's important to you. It's nice when you can't use software EQ.

Setting the Q value is pretty much essential. And good to know.

It's something I've played with for a few minutes now and them, but never leave on for long. It makes the sound feel like it's coming more from in front of you instead of from the sides, but there is a huge drop in bass that makes it undesirable to me. If I could never use it again, I would be fine with that.

I'm using the Hifiman Sundara and HD 6XX on my units, each with a balanced 10' XLR cable from Periapt. The 6XX needs more EQing than the Sundara, so I use the 6XX in the office where I can use PEACE on my PC to go above and below the +/-6db limit of the Monolith, and have more than 5 PEQ points plus shelf EQs.

Interesting. I'd like to try it out. There's a good chance I'll pick on of these up soon.

NoSnakeOil2

Hi, do you like the DAC on the amp as well? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than the $1700 RME ADI-2 Pro FS, is there a headphone amplifier with analog input and parametric EQ? I use the Roon preset on my LCD-2, and it helps a ton. But I like to listen to records on my turntable with headphones sometimes, and $1,700 is way more than I'm willing to spend to get EQ in that scenario. Considering how pretty much every headphone Amir has measured has been positively transformed with EQ, this seems like market gap worth complaining about.
A bit late, but for records you might get away with a cheap separate ADC connected to the ADI-2 DAC, like this one. I've measured its DAC counterpart here.

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hello, my usual DAC is the RME ADI DAC 2 FS which I really like because of the sound and the EQ options. I am listening to digital music only (my own MP3s + Flacs, and then Spotify + Tiday) through my Raspberry Pi 4 + RoopieeeXL. Recently I read about the E1DO PowerDAC 2.1 which attracted my attention because of the good reviews and because of its expansive DSP option. So I ordered it and set it up with a second PI4 (I bought a USB Y-Splitter because the PI does not provide enough power to the PowerDAC over USB. Man, this thing is great!!! Not quite as good as ADI 2 DAC but not far away! Incredible sound with lots of detail and pretty neutral (and with the EQ it gives me the sound I like). If anyone asked me what the best budget combo for digital Hifi/Audiophile is, I'd say: Raspberry PI (with Moode/Roopie) + E1DO PowerDac V2.1+ HD 6XX or Sundara. Phantastic sound for around 500 $. This is insane value

egellings

Major Contributor
Put any EQ device later in the audio chain. Putting it right after a head amp for a MC cart is asking for it.

Top Bottom