• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Head Acoustics HPS IV 2482 PEQ IV (Review)

I am a long time reader of ASR but I have not had time to become active yet. During the day I work full time as a project lead in an automotive engineering company in Germany, so writing forum posts is hard to squeeze into my schedule. I hope I have more time for this in the future.

The Head Acoustics Head Acoustics HEADPhone HPS IV 2482 PEQ IV was found after a clean-up session in a box in my office and has recently been used for a validation/measurement/test setup. Before it was found, it has obviously not been used for quite a while - which I think it is a bummer.

The 2482 was released around the year 2000. It is part of an enormous ecosystem of Head Acoustics with remotes, HATS, test speakers, power amplifiers, calibrated dynamic and electro-static headphones and so on. Every 2482 came originally with calibrated set of cans. This was not to be found.
IMG_2960.jpeg

IMG_2961.jpeg

There are three aspects, why I think talking about this box is worthwhile. First, it is the astonishing quality rise audio equipment has seen in the last years. This thing was high end twenty years ago and has hard time today competing against way cheaper equipment. Second, when I compared the headphone out of the Head Acoustics device with my Topping Dx3Pro (level matched with an HATS, quite an old HD650) the Head Acoustics 2482 definitely won. Third, the feature set is quite interesting:

• Customizable DSP for EQ
  • Integrated power supply
  • recallable output levels
  • Unbalanced headphone output
  • Analog balanced XLR out
  • Digital AES3 O/P with DSP processing (AES3 can be easily converted to electric S/P-DIF through an adapter cable)

Measurements DAC

DAC_Out-L_Lvl-120-LIN.JPG

DAC_Out-L_Lvl-120-LIN-Frq-Resp.JPG

DAC_Out-L_Lvl-120-LIN-THD.JPG

HP DAC O/P

A 32 Ohm resistor was unfortunately not at hand when I took the measurements, so I have measured in parallel to a Sennheiser HD600. The O/P impedance came in at about 10 Ohm.
HP_Out-L_Lvl-100-LIN-HD600_loaded.JPG

HP_Out-L_Lvl-100-LIN-HD600_loaded_THD.JPG

HP_Out-L_Lvl-100-LIN-Frq-Resp_HD600_loaded.JPG

Verdict:

I could not really test DSP yet, since I cannot connect Win 10 through with the control software. If someone from Head is reading this - maybe you could help?

I really like this box! The sound is super nice, especially with the dynamic Sennheisers - It brings them to life. Measurements are cool, but sometimes they do not tell whole truth. Here the measurements are OK, but the sound is awesome.

The package has tank like qualities and will probably last for a lifetime. Biggest downside is the power consumption of about 10 Watts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom