• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI Video Output on a Denon AVR (3700)

jefny

In a recent visit to an authorized Denon dealer I had a question concerning video inputs and outputs on the Denon 3700 avr. Can this receiver take any hdmi video input (in my case a bluray player, a Roku device and a Tivo Bolt) and output it to any of the hdmi outs. In my case an overhead projector or a plasma TV. The answer was yes but the sales person stated that the video signal would be at the lowest video quality of either any of the two. In other words, if my projector is 1080p and my plasma is 720p, the video signal to both will be 720p. I don't expect to play both the plasma TV and projector at the same time but is there any way around this?

Do I have a new TV that's is at least 1080p?

JohnF

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What year model is the 3700?
Are you planning on trying to output more then one video signal, at the same time?
Check the 3700 manual, see if there is a pass-thru setting (video) for HDMI.
It might tell the 3700 to just let the video signal thru the HDMI, with out trying to change it.
Does the 3700 have video (HDMI) upscaling?

OP
J

jefny

Thanks for the reply. The Denon is the most current model (2020). I do not intend on putting more than one output at the same time and just one at a time. I have tried to look at the 3700 manual but to me it is not too clear whether there is pass through or upscaling.

In the past with my current set up using a Marantz SR5005 as a pre-amp I was able to send a blue ray player signal directly to the projector via hdmi and a Tivo signal via component so I could see regular TV on the overhead. The Tivo hdmi output went to the plasma TV for regular TV. I had to replace the Tivo with the Bolt that did not have a component output. Also, the Marantz only has 1 hdmi output.

JohnF

twsecrest

Check out Video Mode Bypass.
Denon has a full on line manual for the 3700H.
As the Denon 3700 is the latest model and supports 4K and 8K,
I would assume it would not have a problem upscaling the 720 signal to 1080 (best guess).

OP
J

jefny

I have checked the manual and it is 100's of pages with a very inadequate Table of Contents making it hard to find much of anything. I think I will call Denon directly.

JohnF

JSmith

Master Contributor
In other words, if my projector is 1080p and my plasma is 720p, the video signal to both will be 720p.
That is only if outputting simultaneously. When running one at a time the resolution will be at the res of the receiving device, unless you set it manually lower.

JSmith

Weeb Labs

This should not present a problem. I have a Denon X3500H connected to both a 4K TV (LG B7) and 1080p projector (JVC X500), with video processing disabled on the AVR. Depending upon the display in use, the source device receives the corresponding EDID and outputs the appropriate resolution.

OP
J

jefny

Thanks for the responses. Why did the salesman I met recently tell me about the problem of video output being switched to the lowest pixel count of either my plasma or overhead projector? I even told him I will not be playing both at the same time. Maybe he was still trying to sell the more expensive pre-amp as opposed to me using the 3700 as a pre-amp.

JohnF

twsecrest

Thanks for the responses. Why did the salesman I met recently tell me about the problem of video output being switched to the lowest pixel count of either my plasma or overhead projector? I even told him I will not be playing both at the same time. Maybe he was still trying to sell the more expensive pre-amp as opposed to me using the 3700 as a pre-amp.

JohnF
A lot of the best salesmen is also the biggest snakes :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes that’s true it’s part of the HDMI protocol, basically the Denon will do a ‘handshake’ and figures out what your TV’s capabilities are and you’re stuck with that.

Top Bottom